Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  02:09:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe (I don't see her anywhere) we left out Bonnie Raitt!

So good---- back to her first release in 1971 right up to now. A great blues interpreter, song
writer, singer & bottle neck guitar player.....an acclaimed guitar player long before women were
accepted as actually being good at mastering such a "male oriented" instrument.

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  16:04:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lemonade

Bonnie Raitt played quite often at a coffee house local to me in like 68/69. It was called The Main Point - a suburb of Philly - I think Bryn Mawr.

http://xponentialmusic.org/blogs/885mmmm/2007/09/12/guest-blogger-remembering-the-main-point-1964-1981/

Click on the list of performances-it's quite amazing

Anyway, it was when she was first starting out and she had Freebo on Bass.

http://www.freebomusic.com/

The Main Point was spectacular. Seated about 300 and served coffee's, teas, and nice biscuits and breads. I must have seen Tom Rush there at least a dozen times

But the most memorable was seeing Capt'n Beefheart and his Magical Band there. It was a very cold Feb night in 71. I was at the 2nd show. I waited an extra 45 minutes in that freezing cold because he gave the first show an extra 1/2 hour. He gave the 2nd show an extra 45 minutes. One of the most amazing concerts I ever saw.

I remember him singing 'I love you, big dummy"

Allan

Edited by - Allan on 30/09/2008 18:06:13
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  17:31:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Allan

lemonade

Bonnie Raitt played quite often at a coffee house local to me in like 68/69. It was called The Main Point - a suburb of Philly - I think Bryn Mawr. Anyway, it was when she was first starting out and she had Freebo on Bass.

http://www.freebomusic.com/

The Main Point was spectacular. Seated about 300 and served coffee's, teas, and nice biscuits and breads. I must have seen Tom Rush there at least a dozen times

But the most memorable was seeing Capt'n Beefheart and his Magical Band there. It was a very cold Feb night, either '68 or '69-maybe '70? I was at the 2nd show. I waited an extra 45 minutes in that freezing cold because he gave the first show an extra 1/2 hour. He gave the 2nd show an extra 45 minutes. One of the most amazing concerts I ever saw.

I remember him singing 'I love you, big dummy"

Allan

Ya, that was after she left Boston to pursue her career. What a time. Didn't get to
see Bonnie back then.

And Tom Rush is another favorite.
Must have been something to see Beefheart! in such a great environment!

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  23:05:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Tom Rush.......he has a youtube video that has gotten 3.6 million views!!
Took him 40+ years to become an overnight sensation. See youtube post for the video....

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  18:44:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have we mentioned Richard Thompson, as one of the top tier guitar players of all time?!
He and Linda put out some of the best LPs, too....Shoot Out The Lights for one.

Nice to get a twofer here...favorite male & female artists on one bill.

Shame on me for not mentioning Richard's unparalleled songwriting.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 07/10/2008 19:23:31
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  13:02:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RT is still, I think, a bit of a cult figure or a musician's musician here in the UK, which is crazy, given he has written some beatiful songs over the years, both with and after Fairport, let alone all the guitar work he contributed to albums by people like Al Stewart and Nick Drake. Mainstream success (if he ever really wanted it!) has eluded him somewhat. It is a shame that someone who wrote songs like Genesis Hall, Beeswing, Walking On A Wire and the magnificent Meet On The Ledge should be less of a household name worldwide than over-rated acts like James Blunt or even Jeff Buckley, who although a competent singer-songwriter/musician was not a patch on his father, or indeed Mr Thompson.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  17:57:22  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

RT is still, I think, a bit of a cult figure or a musician's musician here in the UK, which is crazy, given he has written some beatiful songs over the years, both with and after Fairport, let alone all the guitar work he contributed to albums by people like Al Stewart and Nick Drake. Mainstream success (if he ever really wanted it!) has eluded him somewhat. It is a shame that someone who wrote songs like Genesis Hall, Beeswing, Walking On A Wire and the magnificent Meet On The Ledge should be less of a household name worldwide than over-rated acts like James Blunt or even Jeff Buckley, who although a competent singer-songwriter/musician was not a patch on his father, or indeed Mr Thompson.

Though I too agree Jeff is not a patch on Tim, I do find it unfair to mention him in the same breath as James Blunt, Blunt, surely, being one of the most annoying performers (for so many reasons) to appear for years.
Anyone here heard much Teddy Thompson? Caught him live a few years back, at a Leonard Cohen tribute event along with his Mother, and he seemed to have some promise.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  19:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

quote:
Originally posted by boombox

Though I too agree Jeff is not a patch on Tim, I do find it unfair to mention him in the same breath as James Blunt, Blunt, surely, being one of the most annoying performers (for so many reasons) to appear for years.
Anyone here heard much Teddy Thompson? Caught him live a few years back, at a Leonard Cohen tribute event along with his Mother, and he seemed to have some promise.

He appeared with his mother at number of live shows over the years (& on a couple of her later LPs , I think). If he has even half the musical sensibilities of Linda, he will be quite
an artist to watch as he develops.
Richard Thompson has appeared at two recent free music fests on campus here, to rave reviews, and crowds of 20,000 that showed up specially for him, filling the campus green.
At least he gets his due some places in the world!!

jamieson
First Love

1 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  10:31:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for me Whitney Houston is a good singer, i have a lot of singers that i like but in general it is Whitney Houston..!
i dont have fa male singer favorite!

[url=http://www.sportdiscountstore.com/Categories/Hockey/]sports bag[/url]
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  20:42:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe my porch light is a bit dim, but I have my quirks.....Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos, is a personal favorite by a female artist. She started a more edgy female singer/songwriter trend and her songs, though a bit maudlin are beautiful.

Tell me if I need to get my taste checked at the door, but as I said, I have my quirks. To paraphrase Arthur, "I can't be all good".

Well, anyway, I'm listening to Pink Moon right now....so let's be sure to get Nick Drake in at the top of my favorite male artist list.

Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page