Page: of 6

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2008 :  00:07:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveyTee

I've been meaning to mention Tom Waits as he's easily my favourite male singer. He's just played two concerts in Edinburgh which received outstanding reviews - I was too late to get a ticket, even if I could have afforded it. I did see him down in London back in 1981 - a brilliant show. Favourite album? Probably "Heart Attack and Vine", although in a more modern vein I like "Alice" and a lot off "Orphans".

DT

I like 'Heart Attack & Vine' a lot also!!!!

trouble comin' everyday.......

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2008 :  14:30:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know I have this cd by a musician Gavin Bryars who has a tune where an old man sings "Jesus Blood Never Failed Me Yet". Tom Waits covered this as well..anybody hear it?..it is an interesting piece for sure.....
Go to Top of Page

Cal Jam
Fourth Love

220 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  17:30:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stevie Winwood
Roky Erickson
Glenn Hughes
John Fogerty
Ian Gillan
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  23:22:23  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes, rocker, i've heard that Tom Waits recording a few times. it is a "duet" with an obscure singer. it has always creeped me out. that's one very odd recording!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  12:48:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I think Signe Anderson of Jefferson Airplane deserves a mention. She provides great lead and harmony vocals on 'Takes Off' and 'Early Flight' - and her version of 'Go To Her' was for me the highlight revelation of the 'Jefferson Airplane Loves You' box set. It is just a great pity that she has suffered such wretched ill health during the period since.
Go to Top of Page

Rob Dudda
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  23:05:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Celia Humphris{Trees}...especially on Sally free and easy
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  23:29:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

I think Signe Anderson of Jefferson Airplane deserves a mention. She provides great lead and harmony vocals on 'Takes Off' and 'Early Flight' - and her version of 'Go To Her' was for me the highlight revelation of the 'Jefferson Airplane Loves You' box set. It is just a great pity that she has suffered such wretched ill health during the period since.

Good call - not sure how she really is feeling, but she is scheduled to play a benefit show shortly along with all the original members of Airplane except PK, with Slick Aguilar added to bring some musical muscle to the ensemble.

Edited by - boombox on 03/08/2008 23:31:02
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  15:31:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bob f...yeah thats' some song..I have a recording that Gavin Bryars did of an old man singing it...different for sure but that guy "had faith"...

on a whim after hearing his NYC concert with Simon on dvd I picked up this record by Art Garfunkel doing some "classic" songs.("Some Enchanted Evening album)..I've mostly always heard him in harmony with Simon....pretty eye-opening...he's got a unique voice for sure when you hear him alone...his phrasing really comes out on the songs...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  05:20:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RANDY NEWMAN!! how could I forget him.......so good. Singer, songwriter, story teller extraordinaire !

& HARRY NILSSON....what a great singer/vocal stylist! Talk about vocal range!

trouble comin' everyday.......

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  04:22:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JUDEE SILLS .....
has been mentioned in several posts. For those of you still unfamiliar with her work of true masterpieces of music..please go to the link below. It is a wonderful bio & review of her works & has news of a new release of her never before heard 'third LP".

http://www.dustedmagazine.com/features/367

He's a bit mad, isn't he.......?

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2008 :  04:37:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This topic has really gotten me to go over my favorite male singer/songwriters. My top tier includes so many great ones, it has been hard to choose my top favorite. Lennon, Dylan, Prine, Waits, Zappa, Zevon, Fred Neil, Neil Young, Steve Stills,
Stevie Winwood & has anyone mentioned the great Stevie Wonder!!! But for me, no one is higher than GENE CLARK.
His mystique, tragic life, & depth of music is so far into my soul from "I'll Feel A Whole lot Better" to "No Other", his range & the fact that he was always so far ahead of his time ...... he just got lost...no one knew what to do with him in the music biz.
But the countless covers by so many artists right up to the two tracks on Raising Sand, show his music's timelessness.
I can't imagine many other artists that have been shown so much respect just by the shear volume of his songs covered.

So for me ...Gene Clark is the tops. Who's yours, all you messageboard friends.

Top female singer?......Grace....
sorry Janis fans, but I just love Grace & all the Airplane material through Volunteers.

Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2008 :  17:12:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Lemonadekid, Gene Clark was a formidable talent - although I don't think that he was always afforded the recognition that he has now. In one sense he was a bit like Dylan in that he never seemed to have much interest in all the unreleased material he had accumulated over the years. Even now, there is still supposed to be quite a lot that has never seen the light of day. In another, he was a bit like Arthur in that his own commercial interests never seemed that important to him - and of course he was very like Arthur in his capacity for self destructive behaviour - as we've said before, all these qualities are practically prerequisites for artistic genius! Someone close to the Byrds said to me last week that he believed that the band was doomed commercially once Gene had left - even though they went on to record some great albums, they no longer had a prolific songwriter of the the sort that could compete with Lennon and McCartney.

I would also like to add David Crosby to our little list. His high harmony was the perfect counterpoint for Gene's resonant vocals on the first two albums and I wonder whether without his songwriting, the Byrds could have managed their most revolutionary work between 1966 and 68. McGuinn and Hillman are supposed to have said to him "We think that we can do better without you" upon his dismissal from the group. Of course their loss proved to be CSN's gain - with some of the most beautiful songs from the late 60s/early 70s into the bargain. Moreover, his music became the perfect antidote for those who believed that the later Byrds were overdoing the country and western thing. One of the best concerts I ever saw was Crosby and Nash at the Odeon, Manchester in late 71.

Edited by - John9 on 14/08/2008 17:53:46
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2008 :  19:54:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Yes Lemonadekid, Gene Clark was a formidable talent - although I don't think that he was always afforded the recognition that he has now. In one sense he was a bit like Dylan in that he never seemed to have much interest in all the unreleased material he had accumulated over the years. Even now, there is still supposed to be quite a lot that has never seen the light of day. In another, he was a bit like Arthur in that his own commercial interests never seemed that important to him - and of course he was very like Arthur in his capacity for self destructive behaviour - as we've said before, all these qualities are practically prerequisites for artistic genius! Someone close to the Byrds said to me last week that he believed that the band was doomed commercially once Gene had left - even though they went on to record some great albums, they no longer had a prolific songwriter of the the sort that could compete with Lennon and McCartney.

I would also like to add David Crosby to our little list. His high harmony was the perfect counterpoint for Gene's resonant vocals on the first two albums and I wonder whether without his songwriting, the Byrds could have managed their most revolutionary work between 1966 and 68. McGuinn and Hillman are supposed to have said to him "We think that we can do better without you" upon his dismissal from the group. Of course their loss proved to be CSN's gain - with some of the most beautiful songs from the late 60s/early 70s into the bargain. Moreover, his music became the perfect antidote for those who believed that the later Byrds were overdoing the country and western thing. One of the best concerts I ever saw was Crosby and Nash at the Odeon, Manchester in late 71.

How could I forget David.......I love "If I Could Only Remember My Name!" LP And his duo LPs with Nash.
By the way, something I learned recently is that David taught Arthur & Bryan 'Hey Joe". That Byrds connection.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 16/08/2008 05:36:52
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2008 :  08:38:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I think that I'm right in saying that Bryan was the Byrds' roadie before Love got together. And in a radio interview at the end of the Australian Love Comes in Colours compilation, Arthur explains how he used to see the Byrds at Ciro's and say to himself "Well, I can do that".

Edited by - John9 on 16/08/2008 09:18:50
Go to Top of Page

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2008 :  23:52:01  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have we mentioned Sandy denny yet?

Also that Rachel Unthank was in good voice at Big Chill

two different folk voices.

oh and what about jo ann kelly?

I think I'm going back...

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: