Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2008 :  13:50:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A bit late to the thread, so rather than multiple posts, here are (some) of mine:

Marty Balin - Comin' Back To Me - my favourite song EVER! That gentle guitar and Grace's recorder - just sets up the song for the voice to come in, a voice which raises the hairs on the back of your neck in all the right ways. And he's still got the voice now - just listen to any recording from the last JS tour.

And of course, from the same band, Grace Slick, be it belting out Somebody To Love or the gentle delivery of Lather. Attitude and a lovely tone, the epitome of a great lead singer.

Janis Ian - came to her very late - only a couple of years ago when I went to see her in an old cinema in Aberdare, just to see if she really was one of the greats and boy, did she deliver. This Train Still Runs has become one of my all-time faves and despite her tender age when it was recorded, her debut album recorded over 40 years ago is amazing.

Tim Buckley - what can I say that hasn't been said above - everyone should own Goodbye and Hello and Happy Sad!!

Fred Neil - proof you don't need to be a high tenor to sing beautifully.

Special mention also to Diana Mangano (ex of Jefferson Starship, who has just retired from regular touring, but who delivers Grace's songs better than anyone else other than Grace herself - and she also does Sandy Denny songs too) and David Freiberg - well, you knew there would be a strong JA/JS representation, but Harp Tree Lament on recent tours has been a tear-bringing song. Add to that, Huw Williams (Welsh acoustic maestro whose songs have been recorded by Fairport), Judee Sill, Sandy Denny, Tom Paxton, Al Stewart (can't believe the praise for him here - thought it was just me!), Donovan, John Martyn (when he sang, rather than mumbled) and just to throw a few curve balls for this board, Fish and Ian Gillan and you have a good selection.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2008 :  17:30:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

A bit late to the thread, so rather than multiple posts, here are (some) of mine:

Marty Balin - Comin' Back To Me - my favourite song EVER! That gentle guitar and Grace's recorder - just sets up the song for the voice to come in, a voice which raises the hairs on the back of your neck in all the right ways. And he's still got the voice now - just listen to any recording from the last JS tour.

And of course, from the same band, Grace Slick, be it belting out Somebody To Love or the gentle delivery of Lather. Attitude and a lovely tone, the epitome of a great lead singer.

Janis Ian - came to her very late - only a couple of years ago when I went to see her in an old cinema in Aberdare, just to see if she really was one of the greats and boy, did she deliver. This Train Still Runs has become one of my all-time faves and despite her tender age when it was recorded, her debut album recorded over 40 years ago is amazing.

Tim Buckley - what can I say that hasn't been said above - everyone should own Goodbye and Hello and Happy Sad!!

Fred Neil - proof you don't need to be a high tenor to sing beautifully.

Special mention also to Diana Mangano (ex of Jefferson Starship, who has just retired from regular touring, but who delivers Grace's songs better than anyone else other than Grace herself - and she also does Sandy Denny songs too) and David Freiberg - well, you knew there would be a strong JA/JS representation, but Harp Tree Lament on recent tours has been a tear-bringing song. Add to that, Huw Williams (Welsh acoustic maestro whose songs have been recorded by Fairport), Judee Sill, Sandy Denny, Tom Paxton, Al Stewart (can't believe the praise for him here - thought it was just me!), Donovan, John Martyn (when he sang, rather than mumbled) and just to throw a few curve balls for this board, Fish and Ian Gillan and you have a good selection.

Yes to all! I've get those two of Tim's on vinyl...so nice.

Late, great John Stewart....'California Bloodlines'.

FRED NEIL, boombox!!.......'Bleeker & MacDougal' with The Other Side of This Life & self titled-'Fred Neil' with Dolphins & Everybody's Talkin'. got em both on 1st press vinyl....how could I leave out Fred!!!! Everyone in Greenwich hung onto his coattails, David Crosby & Dylan backed him up at Cafe Wha' & Crosby said that Neil taught him that "everything was music". Huge influence on so many.
Look at Buffalo Springfield's 'Second Time Around' in the list of 'thanks'. Stills wanted to name Springfield after Neil,
but Fred Neil discouraged him. Tim Buckley, Joni Mitchell, Harry Nilsson, Jimmy Buffet, Dylan, Jefferson Airplane....all owe a debt to Fred Neil. I do go on, but, damn, he's so good!!!

all o' god's children gotta have their freedom
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2008 :  18:29:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just realised I also forgot Eric Andersen too - saw him a couple of month's back and he did a lovely version of Other Side Of This Life - and as I've said elsewhere on the board, Eric's no slouch either in terms of his own material - Trouble In Paris, springs to mind as an excleent example of his modern stuff.
Go to Top of Page

SignedRW
Fifth Love

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2008 :  18:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the mid-nineties, at a time when none of Fred Neil's music was
available on CD, anywhere in the world, I was given the opportunity
to put together a number of retrospective compilation releases from
the Capitol Records vaults. Fred Neil was my first choice. I also
did projects on McGuinn, Clark, and Hillman, Jesse Colin Young, and
my friend James Talley. In the course of squaring away the notes
for the Freddie set, I decided to contact a number of his greatest
fans (and acolytes) for input (David Crosby, Stephen Stills, Paul Kantner, John Sebastian, Richie Havens, Jesse Colin Young). The
first to respond were David Crosby and John Sebastian, but all were
willing and eager to share their thoughts and feelings about what
Fred Neil (still alive at the time) had meant to them. When the
plug on all of the projects I'd completed was unceremoniously pulled
after a regime change in the Capitol hierarchy, I just hung on to my
work, until a few years later, I learned that the Collector's Choice
label was releasing a two disc set of Fred Neil's Capitol years, at
which point I passed along the artist testimonials/statements about
Freddie to the folks at Collector's Choice. And that's how Crosby's
statement that Fred Neil had taught him (among many, many important
life lessons) that everything was music, came to be included in the
CD booklet. Also, as I recall, how to roll a proper joint, too. Just a couple of years ago, David was in the studio with me, on the air at the radio station I'm at here in Santa Barbara (we're his home town rock station) and we spun Fred Neil's "Dolphins" during the course of the interview. The point is, if by chance you're not already familiar with Fred Neil's work, but enjoy the music of any of the numerous artists on whom Fred was a major influence, it could well be worth
the effort to investigate his sadly small, and even more sadly, under-appreciated body of work, at last, thankfully, pretty easy to come by.

Edited by - SignedRW on 21/07/2008 18:48:57
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2008 :  20:30:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Signed RW

In the mid-nineties, at a time when none of Fred Neil's music was
available on CD, anywhere in the world, I was given the opportunity
to put together a number of retrospective compilation releases from
the Capitol Records vaults. Fred Neil was my first choice. I also
did projects on McGuinn, Clark, and Hillman, Jesse Colin Young, and
my friend James Talley. In the course of squaring away the notes
for the Freddie set, I decided to contact a number of his greatest
fans (and acolytes) for input (David Crosby, Stephen Stills, Paul Kantner, John Sebastian, Richie Havens, Jesse Colin Young). The
first to respond were David Crosby and John Sebastian, but all were
willing and eager to share their thoughts and feelings about what
Fred Neil (still alive at the time) had meant to them. When the
plug on all of the projects I'd completed was unceremoniously pulled
after a regime change in the Capitol hierarchy, I just hung on to my
work, until a few years later, I learned that the Collector's Choice
label was releasing a two disc set of Fred Neil's Capitol years, at
which point I passed along the artist testimonials/statements about
Freddie to the folks at Collector's Choice. And that's how Crosby's
statement that Fred Neil had taught him (among many, many important
life lessons) that everything was music, came to be included in the
CD booklet. Also, as I recall, how to roll a proper joint, too. Just a couple of years ago, David was in the studio with me, on the air at the radio station I'm at here in Santa Barbara (we're his home town rock station) and we spun Fred Neil's "Dolphins" during the course of the interview. The point is, if by chance you're not already familiar with Fred Neil's work, but enjoy the music of any of the numerous artists on whom Fred was a major influence, it could well be worth
the effort to investigate his sadly small, and even more sadly, under-appreciated body of work, at last, thankfully, pretty easy to come by.

So glad to hear of your work towards getting Fred Neil out there......so much deserved & SO late...but FINALLY!!
Thanks, RW. I just love Fred's work. Has anyone put out such a small body of work that is so influential (to the music world & so perfect??!!) Not many, & no clunkers in later releases...there weren't any!! Smart guy.

Eric Andersen is a great one. He was also a part of that early Greenwich scene. Fred Neil & Bob Dylan were among his friends. He was very influential in the early folk/protest scene, with Judy Collins recording 'Thirsty Boots' & 'Violets Of Dawn', among others. And you're right, boombox, his later works are great, too.

Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2008 :  01:50:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Allan - Al Stewart is especially well chosen and I was very pleased to see most of his original albums re-released last year albeit with some unusual bonus tracks. In early 1974, whilst I was at Leicester University, a friend of his was in the same hall of residence as I was and through him, Al turned up to do a really low key gig in our dining room. 'Past Present and Future'(perhaps his finest album) had recently appeared and I especially remember him doing 'Roads to Moscow' and 'Nostradamus'. It was just Al and an acoustic guitar...how often does something like that happen?

I have the Warwick Uni show off that tour if you're interested - drop me a PM.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2008 :  05:58:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JOHN PRINE.........
.........his first LP. What a voice. What a songwriter. Does it get any better??!! 'Illegal Smile".......
"Angel From Montgomery"........

Go to Top of Page

ed the bear
Fourth Love

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2008 :  07:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JOHN PRINE

I saw John Prine at the Philadelphia Folk Festival in, it must have been, 1971. (In 1972 I was, um, out of the country.)
He no doubt did the songs Lemonade Kid mentions -- it was about the time of the first album -- but I most clearly remember "Sam Stone," which reduced me to tears...
"There's a hole in Daddy's arm
where all the money goes..."
And, just as appropriate nowadays,
"Your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore,
it's already overcrowded from your dirty little war."
He was, and is, THE MAN, and I can't believe I'd almost forgotten him until LK mentioned his name.

Edited by - ed the bear on 25/07/2008 07:05:18
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2008 :  04:33:39  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah, PRINE! his first, self -titled album is great! a recovering junkie's art speaks to me, personally. another artist, such as Steve Earle, touches me with truth and pain.
John Prine's music is balanced by meaningful lyrics, accoustic guitar, and depth , voiced by a soul of humor and wisdom.

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2008 :  16:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

yeah, PRINE! his first, self -titled album is great! a recovering junkie's art speaks to me, personally. another artist, such as Steve Earle, touches me with truth and pain.
John Prine's music is balanced by meaningful lyrics, accoustic guitar, and depth , voiced by a soul of humor and wisdom.

...what the world needs now...

His humor...good point, bobf. I always smile while listening; along with a tear, ed.

trouble comin' everyday.......

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2008 :  06:20:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jesse Colin Young.

"Darkness, Darkness" from The Youngblood's Elephant Mountain.
I was in S.F. when I first first heard it. The whole LP is just amazing....never heard anything like it
then or since...blew me away.....from "Sunlight" to "Ride The Wind"--the whole album just takes me away!!

Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2008 :  12:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prine is vastly under-rated - I too love 'Sam Stone' - just as relevant now as when it was written. I have seen reviews where his guitar playing is criticised as being basic, but Dylan proved you only need three chords to write a great song! I love playing along to his stuff too, especially the funny and satirical stuff.

Strangely, though I'm a fan of The Youngbloods, JCY's solo stuff doesn't do much for me. But speaking of 'Darkness, Darkness', Banana does a lovely version of it these days on 5 string tenor guitar.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2008 :  06:52:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

Prine is vastly under-rated - I too love 'Sam Stone' - just as relevant now as when it was written. I have seen reviews where his guitar playing is criticised as being basic, but Dylan proved you only need three chords to write a great song! I love playing along to his stuff too, especially the funny and satirical stuff.

Strangely, though I'm a fan of The Youngbloods, JCY's solo stuff doesn't do much for me. But speaking of 'Darkness, Darkness', Banana does a lovely version of it these days on 5 string tenor guitar.

I know what you mean a bout some of JCY's solo works, but i do like "Song For Juli" (LP) & his pre-Youngbloods
release "Soul Of A City Boy"...... it's just Jesse on guitar...great LP.

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2008 :  07:05:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TOM WAITS....(Lookin' For The)Heart Of Saturday Night!!

Some people hate him, but maybe they've never really LISTENED to him.

What's your favorite Tom Waits LP?

Go to Top of Page

DaveyTee
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2008 :  19:26:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been meaning to mention Tom Waits as he's easily my favourite male singer. He's just played two concerts in Edinburgh which received outstanding reviews - I was too late to get a ticket, even if I could have afforded it. I did see him down in London back in 1981 - a brilliant show. Favourite album? Probably "Heart Attack and Vine", although in a more modern vein I like "Alice" and a lot off "Orphans".

DT
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page