Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  14:00:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..and a "Black and White" night....;-).....
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  14:12:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hmmmmm...I know most like Dylan..maybe not as a singer per se? He's not noted as having a "beautiful" voice but for some reason everybody gets attracted to his songs for all this time. I sit up when I listen to that Blonde on Blonde record.
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  21:10:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Delores O'Riordan and early Grace Slick (Great Society). Al Stewart has a fine voice-as does Phil Ochs and Felix Pappalardi.

Allan
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  21:22:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allan - Al Stewart is especially well chosen and I was very pleased to see most of his original albums re-released last year albeit with some unusual bonus tracks. In early 1974, whilst I was at Leicester University, a friend of his was in the same hall of residence as I was and through him, Al turned up to do a really low key gig in our dining room. 'Past Present and Future'(perhaps his finest album) had recently appeared and I especially remember him doing 'Roads to Moscow' and 'Nostradamus'. It was just Al and an acoustic guitar...how often does something like that happen?

Edited by - John9 on 10/07/2008 21:23:47
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  21:55:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Allan - Al Stewart is especially well chosen and I was very pleased to see most of his original albums re-released last year albeit with some unusual bonus tracks. In early 1974, whilst I was at Leicester University, a friend of his was in the same hall of residence as I was and through him, Al turned up to do a really low key gig in our dining room. 'Past Present and Future'(perhaps his finest album) had recently appeared and I especially remember him doing 'Roads to Moscow' and 'Nostradamus'. It was just Al and an acoustic guitar...how often does something like that happen?

I can't keep up with pulling out & playing the various artists that are getting mentions! Past, Present & Future is my
especial favorite! Remember when radio stations actually played "Roads..." & "Nostradamus"?!!
Another for me is the voice of Donovan. The amazing affects he achieves without electronic help is ....amazing!
"Hurdy Gurdy Man" & "Henry Martin", especially.

all o' god's children gotta have their freedom
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  21:57:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John9

Seeing Al Stewart like that must have been excellent. Every now and then I hear "Roads to Moscow" on the radio. I've always liked him. I especially like 'Love Chronicles' and 'Orange' and I agree that 'Past, Present, and Future' is perhaps his finest.

Cheers

A.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  22:08:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

hmmmmm...I know most like Dylan..maybe not as a singer per se? He's not noted as having a "beautiful" voice but for some reason everybody gets attracted to his songs for all this time. I sit up when I listen to that Blonde on Blonde record.

Ya, rocker. His phrasing, perfect timing, wit.........he rapped (beat poems) better than anyone....now or then.
"Johnny's in basement, mixin' up the medicine......I'm on the pavement thinkin' bout the government...." Geeze, does it get any better. Now that's a voice!

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2008 :  14:08:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know all of the singers mentioned here come off very distinct and have their own uniqueness. Now with Al Stewart who allan mentioned i picked up two of his albums a while back and was styruck by his songs...I really enjoy them now...And another guy is Lou Reed with his "phrasing"....the way he "sings" some of his lyrics...i.e "Walk on the Wild Side"..thought it was real unique...
and anybody for Sinatra.....maybe I should pick up his "In the Wee Small Hours" which I hear is a classic of classics?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  17:29:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed the bear

I don't know why, but I was reading through this thread again and suddenly -- upon reading the words 'Octave Range' in LK's post -- said to myself, "Roy Orbison!"
How could I have not mentioned him. If he'd been born in a big city, he'd have been an opera star. If he'd been good-looking, he would have been bigger than Elvis. But we have that voice. In beautiful dreams, we'll always have that voice.

Haven't heard from you in while, ed. Good to have you back.
I really like Roy on the first Travelin' Wliburys.....That is an LP with the best of everything....Orbison, Dylan,
Petty (another great vocal artist) & Harrison ( a sentimental favorite for me.....do you have the Brainwashed CD?
It's excellent!)

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  17:46:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You know all of the singers mentioned here come off very distinct and have their own uniqueness. Now with Al Stewart who allan mentioned i picked up two of his albums a while back and was styruck by his songs...I really enjoy them now...And another guy is Lou Reed with his "phrasing"....the way he "sings" some of his lyrics...i.e "Walk on the Wild Side"..thought it was real unique...
and anybody for Sinatra.....maybe I should pick up his "In the Wee Small Hours" which I hear is a classic of classics?

Lou Reed is a favorite of mine too, rocker. Lou's "New York" LP is a great one.....Rolling Stone said a the time of release that it would be a good lock for album of the year, but it was too dark......reason enough for me to make it #1....we like 'em dark!

You definitely should get "Wee Hours" by Sinatra! In the top 100 of RS top 500 Albums. Like dylan, it wasn't a perfect
voice but, perfect timing & phrasing. I've read that when in studio, Sinatra would read the lyrics to the instrumentals like a poem over & over again until he got the phrasing just right for the mood he was trying to achieve. I like "That's Life" LP too, but his double live album (Sinatra At The Sands) with Count Basie & arrangements by Quincy Jones is amazing. Recorded in '66, it's his first live album release & contains many of his definitive readings of the songs most associated with his career. Pristine live recording....I recommend it!

Whoops, almost forgot my favorite!! vocalist, Tim Buckley! Happy Sad is the height of his career for me. He trained his five octave voice as a kid by chasing buses down in the road on his bike & screaming at the top of his lungs in every
octave he could manage!! I wonder if any classical vocalists have tried that voice training method!!??

Edited by - lemonade kid on 12/07/2008 17:54:59
Go to Top of Page

ed the bear
Fourth Love

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2008 :  07:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LK,
Tim Buckley is amazing, you're right. I don't have "Happy Sad" but I just got out "Hello and Goodbye" to listen to "I Never Asked to Be Your Mountain." hard to believe it's a human voice at the end, "won't you please," and not some amazing guitar note-bending.
You mentioned Donovan earlier. I think I mentioned somewhere, too, that I recently bought "Sunshine Superman." He doesn't have a great octave range like Buckley or Orbison, but he does exhibit an amazing range of vocal moods on that album.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2008 :  18:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed the bear

LK,
Tim Buckley is amazing, you're right. I don't have "Happy Sad" but I just got out "Hello and Goodbye" to listen to "I Never Asked to Be Your Mountain." hard to believe it's a human voice at the end, "won't you please," and not some amazing guitar note-bending.
You mentioned Donovan earlier. I think I mentioned somewhere, too, that I recently bought "Sunshine Superman." He doesn't have a great octave range like Buckley or Orbison, but he does exhibit an amazing range of vocal moods on that album.

Ed!! You gotta get Happy Sad....much more moody, jazzy with vibes, I love "Goodbye & Hello", but the songs on Happy
Sad are the beginning of his departure into using his voice like it was an instrument. Still melodically beautiful, the songs
run much longer--5 to 15 minutes or so--Less politically themed, more personal. I love it. Try to find a youtube video
of Buzzin' Fly or Stange Feelin' (directly inspired by Miles Davis' Kinda Blue) or Love From Room 109 at the Islander (On Pacific Coast Highway). They will sell you! I also like "Blue Afternoon", but can't get into "Lorca" onward
with totally experimental vocalizing, too far out there.)
Ya, I've mention Donovan often too. Amazing vocal "special effects". Sunshine Superman is his best!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 13/07/2008 18:47:37
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  15:11:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well for Sinatra I'm going to have to have patience and do more listening since his songs usually don't hit me like other artists...well we all have our likes/dislikes etc..and speaking of dislikes oh man I just can't listen to the vocals and music of "Hotel California" by the Eagles...I don't know why!...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2008 :  02:19:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

well for Sinatra I'm going to have to have patience and do more listening since his songs usually don't hit me like other artists...well we all have our likes/dislikes etc..and speaking of dislikes oh man I just can't listen to the vocals and music of "Hotel California" by the Eagles...I don't know why!...

me, too!

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2008 :  05:24:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have we mentioned Steve Winwood?? A musical genius at 15!! & still going!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page