Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alone Again
Fourth Love

Ireland
188 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2007 :  14:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only Arthur Lee gig i saw was Guilfest 4th July 2003 unfortunatly no orchestra and he wasnt headlining (Alice Cooper (also great)) but it was a great gig and i am so greatful that i got to see him.Arthur Brown was also there he put on a great show too.
Go to Top of Page

aldo
Third Love

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2007 :  05:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
last time I saw Arthur Lee and Love was at the liquid room edinburgh in 2005, my band played there in june 07 and I wore my Love t shirt in tribute to Arthur.
Go to Top of Page

steve64
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2007 :  19:34:16  Show Profile  Visit steve64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
last time I saw Arthur play live was at Bristol Bierkeller in March 2005.. saw the band without Arthur at the Cheese and Grain in Frome in July 2005.. Did not know Arthur would not be appearing till we got to the gig..

check out 'Tribute In Motion' Paris and Doors Forums at http://timparistalk.proboards99.com
Go to Top of Page

John E
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2007 :  16:18:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tina,

It was Brighton Concorde 2, on April 5th 2005. The show was great, and afterwards Arthur and Johnny signed autographs at a table near the entrance. My last words to Arthur were "Stay alive man, we need you! (sadly not to be).

Love, John E
Go to Top of Page

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  06:35:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last time I saw Arthur was at Cafe Du Nord in San Francisco in 2004. He was obviously well-fortified that night, and the gents from Baby Lemonade eventually had to take over his vocals. Arthur's shadow side was obviously winning on this particular evening.
At one point Arthur got heckled when he began to go off on a bit of a tangent. Arthur immediately stopped his running narrative, and stared in the general direction of the hecklers. And then he uttered the following immortal line (which my friends and I still quote to this day)..."I don't know where you've been...but I know where you're going. Back to the abyss, bitch!!"

Michael Young
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  08:23:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael - that really is a wonderful line to treasure! It looks as though this kind of remark had been part of his stage repartee long term. On the live side of 'Studio/Live' (from 1970) he dedicates 'Stand Out' "to the loudmouth in the fourth row - with the brassiere on". I think these are some of the things - wit, humour and the incomprehensible -that made him such an enigma.

Edited by - John9 on 02/09/2007 12:17:52
Go to Top of Page

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  08:06:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly, John9! That incomprehensible element Arthur added gave him such a prickly and baffling and original edge (and made him even more enigmatic, if that's possible). I'm glad I'm able to reveal a bit of his...uhh...not-as-charming side, without people getting funny. Actually, I do find that line kinda charming! "Back to the abyss, bitch!"...Aahh, what a juicy, existential little beauty. I'll have to check out that live version of Stand Out, too.

Michael Young
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  23:36:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael - I have an old friend from my student days who is also a great fan of Love. Just as with you, some of Arthur's more eccentric comments have become become regular catchphrases between us. One favourite is the way in which Arthur broke the news to Jay Donnellan that he was no longer in the group: "Oh... Hullo....another cat's playing your licks today." During a mid 1970's interview Arthur was asked about the contributions of Jay Donnellan and Gary Rowles, He repied "They were nice guys.......too bad there ain't no market for nice guys." But I have to admit, "Back to the abyss, bitch" tops the lot!

cheers John

Edited by - John9 on 03/09/2007 23:58:38
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  15:00:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
....great lines!..Arthur could put words together...and if there's two there's just got to be more...
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  19:29:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by myoungish

Exactly, John9! That incomprehensible element Arthur added gave him such a prickly and baffling and original edge (and made him even more enigmatic, if that's possible). I'm glad I'm able to reveal a bit of his...uhh...not-as-charming side, without people getting funny. Actually, I do find that line kinda charming! "Back to the abyss, bitch!"...Aahh, what a juicy, existential little beauty. I'll have to check out that live version of Stand Out, too.

Michael Young

KD: Being there myself as part of the opening act for both of these last two shows, I have to tell you all that this bit of "wisdom" from Arthur didn't go over too well with either the crowd or the owners of the Cafe du Nord. With Arthur wading out into the crowd to sort out hecklers, they ended up having numerous people not only leave the gig, but also demanding their money back too.

Which of course also resulted in problems with the club not wanting to honor Arthur's guaranteed fees for the two shows. Lovely stuff !

Free the hecklers !

Go to Top of Page

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  04:20:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, kdion, I'm not surprised by all the behind-the-scenes problems Arthur's behavior caused at those Cafe Du Nord shows. I'm so thankful I got to see him in stellar, magical form at previous SF shows! At Du Nord he was practically wreaking bad vibes from the very first note. And I swear (I only had a mild vodka buzz) his eyes were green(?!) and saucer-like that night. It's like he'd had a psychedelic eye transplant from the last time I'd seen him.

Michael Young
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page