Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  15:51:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GoodHumorMan....that's right and you know there really was a Good Humor man in his little ice cream truck... used to come around the streets with the Good Humour logo and all dressed all in ice-ceam white... all the while when the kiddies were playing....we'd stop a bit, and then go an have a sundae or an ice cream pop.....to tell you the truth I wasn't sure if they were in LA or anywhere else but just in the East...
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  15:53:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Philly back in the 60's, there was DJ who liked to play the 'alternate' version of Hey Joe. He would also sometimes play My Little Red Book. That got me started with their first LP...and I've been a fan ever since [about 40 years now]

Allan
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  15:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rocker...we had the Good Humor ice cream trucks also in Philly. Yep-the driver wore a white uniform with a white hat. The majority of his wares were $.10 each. That was 50 years ago-like 1956-57. My wife tells me that about 40 years ago, her Good Humor man in her neighborhood (this was now in the late 60's), was a dealer guy and used to sell nickel and dime bags of pot right out of his truck...Truly the Good Humor Man

Allan
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  19:30:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Allan

rocker...we had the Good Humor ice cream trucks also in Philly. Yep-the driver wore a white uniform with a white hat. The majority of his wares were $.10 each. That was 50 years ago-like 1956-57. My wife tells me that about 40 years ago, her Good Humor man in her neighborhood (this was now in the late 60's), was a dealer guy and used to sell nickel and dime bags of pot right out of his truck...Truly the Good Humor Man

Allan

KD: Hey Alan. If anyone ever read the autobiography of Charlie "Lucky" Luciano, there's an hilarious passage about
the NYC mob's first venture into heroin dealing. Their transportation method ? Dudes in ice cream trucks selling the
ice cream first to kids in the various neighborhoods and then doing drop offs of mysterious packages in brown paper bags !

Free the bags !
Go to Top of Page

Rob Dudda
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  20:24:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Allan

In Philly back in the 60's, there was DJ who liked to play the 'alternate' version of Hey Joe. He would also sometimes play My Little Red Book. That got me started with their first LP...and I've been a fan ever since [about 40 years now]

Allan

Ya beat me...ive only been a fan for about...36 years
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  21:10:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re: Good Humor Man/Ice Cream Truck Dealers

I saw an episode of Dragnet when I was a kid about that very thing!
Then of course there was Cheech and Chong's "Nice Dreams"....

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  10:01:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heard "Little Red Book" in 60's on late night radio--& loved it........back when an Iowan could pick up stations from Little Rock or Chicago on a little AM transistor radio........and hear uncut versions of "Time Has Come Today", "In the court of the Crimson King" & "Light My Fire".....well, as I was saying, I first heard Love in the 60's. Unfortunately, the LPs didn't get promoted much in the record stores, so Love passed me by. I didn't see a Love
LP again until the early 1990's at a vintage (no CDs allowed) vinyl only record store in Maine.....& yes, I was Forever Change(d).
Only one who grew up in the 60's, listening to a Jefferson Airplane or Beatles or Stones or Cream (etc) LP for the first time, & who has seen the Airplane or Cream (etc) live ........... well, there are no words.....but Love takes me back there---every time I listen to Forever Changes.
Even if you grew up in the 70s, or 80s, or 90s........when close your eyes...... & listen to Love......that's it!!....you're there.
Go to Top of Page

Gill
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  11:39:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I discovered Love the same way a lot of UK people did - by listening to John Peel on Radio London in 1966/67. I loved the sound and had a friend who was a couple of years older and able to afford to buy "Da Capo" - she lent it to me so I could record the tracks on to my Reel to Real tape recorder. I adored Orange Skies and then grew to love both the gentle and harsher sounds of Love. When Forever Changes was released in the UK I bought it on the day it was released and it has turned out to be a lifetime love affair.

Love
Gill
Go to Top of Page

scully
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
217 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  14:47:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdion11

[quote]Originally posted by Allan

Allan

KD: Hey Alan. If anyone ever read the autobiography of Charlie "Lucky" Luciano, there's an hilarious passage about
the NYC mob's first venture into heroin dealing. Their transportation method ? Dudes in ice cream trucks selling the
ice cream first to kids in the various neighborhoods and then doing drop offs of mysterious packages in brown paper bags !

Free the bags !

Does Good Hunor Ice Cream still exist? I had no idea that the song title refered to that until I first went to the US in the late 1980s (LA) and went to buy an Ice Cream. Obviously I bought loads of Good Humor ice creams in amazement, then watched them melt....

As for the mob connection, in the 1980s there was a major mob war in Glasgow over Ice Cream routes, again as a cover for drug distribution!! See this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Ice_Cream_Wars

All our ice cream man had that was hallucinogenic was the rasberry sauce they liberally poured over your cone....
Go to Top of Page

Alone Again
Fourth Love

Ireland
188 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  15:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont think ill ever trust an ice cream vendor ever again, they're crazy bastards.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  23:17:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course between 1969 and 1971, millions of television viewers in Britain unwittingly and unknowingly discovered Love through BBC's weekly 'Holiday' programme (the one presented by Cliff Michelmore). Its theme music was the attractive harpsichord break fom 'The Castle'. I trust that appropriate royalties were paid!

Edited by - John9 on 12/06/2007 23:18:49
Go to Top of Page

otiselevator
Third Love

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2007 :  00:41:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leslie Brown's record shop in Stockton on Tees, UK 1967. (?) The sleeve for Da Capo was high up and out of reach. I'd never seen such a cool/menacing bunch of people so I asked to hear it....you could listen in a booth in those days. Half way through Stephanie Knows Who I completely freaked over the guitar solo (thanks Johnny) and left the shop in a daze. I couldn't get the song out of my head as everything about it was unlike anything I'd ever heard so I went back the next day and bought it. No regrets there, even Revelation was mind blowing.....the harp and sax solos still do it for me, not to mention Arthur's wild vocal mannerisms. I soon got a second hand copy of the first album and never looked back. Brings a tear just thinking about it all......
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2007 :  15:26:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..and the stories keep comin'.....nice to recollect the Good Humor guy..now I don't know where I was for a time 'cause I just never knew about the dope stuff with the ice-cream guys...where was I??????...but now I'm wondering where Arthur picked up the Good Humor man reference from...is it irony (now that I know about the dope) or is it really about all the nice dreamy stuff that floated about in our lives when "summertime's here"?
Go to Top of Page

ZFarrar
Fourth Love

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2007 :  18:40:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still recall the night, okay this was the summer of 1973 I was 17-I had a shift at a free form college station in Southern California. At the time everything was Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Led Zepplin etc, that's what me and my friends listened to and what got played the most on my show. I did the 11pm-4am show, and the guy with the shift before me was a grad student, he played Alone Again Or, right before his shift ended. I actually physically shivered when I heard that song (also we smoked a lot of pot back then) I recalled I loved that song when I heard KHJ play it briefly many years before, however I never knew the name of the song. I asked him about it, he said oh yeah "Love is one of the great bands", and he left Forever Changes for me to review.
There was a lot of insanity going on, friends stopping in to this old funky studios, more pot, more beer,& mushrooms, etc. about 3am I threw everyone out of the studio, it was really insane. I wanted something mellow, so I threw on some Moody Blues cuts, then as I was really fading, I had cotton mouth & wentt to get a coke from a lonely vending machine about a half a mile away on the now silent campus so I threw on the entire second side of Forever Changes, which I had never heard before except for Alone Again Or. As I got back in the studio I heard "You Set The Scene", I nearly wept. It semmed Arthur said everything that I felt. I realized that this was way deeper than any Led Zep or Uriah Heep album. It was close to a religious experience, that's the best way I can explain it.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2007 :  21:51:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
zounds like you enjoyed yourself Z...crazy time back when, eh?....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page