Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

scully
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
217 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  23:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondering how people on the board discovered Love -- did you hear them on the radio, read a review, get a tape from a friend or just stumble across them.....

I found ny way to them via Liverpool post-punk rock (Echo and The Bunnymen, Teardrop Explodes) around 1981. Interviews with the band would alway mention Love (or the Doors, or the Elevators, or the Seeds etc) and I was intrigued, but I was short of funds so I couldn't buy the records. Then I ended up sharing a flat with some girls, one of whom had her Dad's records, amongst them was Forever Changes. Played it once and nothing was the same again, thankfully.

Cheers,
Scully.

scully
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
217 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  01:43:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great story and sentiments John -- there's nothing like hearing a really great record for the first time, knowing that your life has just changed forever. It's a sad fact of life though that those experiences tend to run out as we get to hear more music, though it can still happen. I'm with you (and i expect almost everyone here) in that Forever Changes stands alone above everything else though. One great thing is being able to play/buy it for people who are new to it and share it that way.

Interesting that you mention being swung by False Start being on Harvest -- those days when a label was a sign of quality were great, Atlantic, Elektra, Island etc. you knew you were in safe hands....

BTW can you remember the name of the record shop in Leeds -- I bought ny first copy of Forever Changes in Jumbo records there, as I'd gone to college in Leeds, which was where the flat share I mentoned was -- I think Jumbo had been open for a good few years by then (in '81)...
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  03:54:15  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i, being an L.A. native, heard LOVE in 1966 on the radio here in the San Fernando Valley. at least they were promoted HERE, and i was hooked ever since! i even saw them live just before F.C.
radio was cool back then, and the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield were played often on our local radio stations spreading the Sunset Strip revolution! Johnny Echols gave me a ride when i was hitchhiking in Hollywood in '67! he said they were working on a new album. F.C. came soon after! those were magic times!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

Rob Dudda
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  15:44:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm.....i think Love revisited was the first i heard of LOVE..when was that released?..i seem to remeber being in my teens anyway...early 70's.
Been a big fan of Arthur Lee,ever since
Go to Top of Page

scully
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
217 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  19:00:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob -- Love revisited came out late in 70 or early 71 I think, so that fits with your recollection.

Bob -- great story about hitching a ride with Johnny, must have been an amazing time to be young and into music. Like John I'm envious!
Go to Top of Page

Alone Again
Fourth Love

Ireland
188 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  12:19:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I first heard about Love from reading an article in which Jack White was talking about and then interviewing one of his favourite artists (Arthur Lee of course)(http://www.birthdaybiff.co.uk/sandydenny/al/arthurleeNME2003.htm).I was facinated by the stories and legends of the bands and found Arthur so compelling and probably 1 of the most difficult interviewees of all time.there was that picture of them all standing on a hill with Arthur in his underwear.it was all so facinating and they ultimatly became my favourite band without me even hearing a note.this was exactly what i was looking for as i was just getting into alot of 60s stuff especially Jefferson Airplane.
i went home to find anything else i could maybe a few mp3 or summin but couldnt find much.i think it was a week or 2 later i was in my local record shop lookin through the 2 for €20 section when i came across the first album.ive never bought an album by an artist i have not heard anything by but i was going to make an exception and i have never regreted it (and have made the exception a few times subsequently).i bought another record but i dont think that got as much stereo time as Love i was completely taken by this album and started to tell everyone i knew about it.when i told one of my friends about Love he said oh yeah Forever Changes great album i told him i hadnt heard it to which he gave me a weird look!then i noticed Forever Changes very high up in a 100 album list so i went out and bought it straight away.ill be honest i was not overly impressed at 1st listen i was disappointed it was so different to the raw energy of the 1st album.but the more i listened to it the more apparent the brilliance of the album became.i was hooked its all i was listening to and learning on guitar.buying as many albums i could find in as many formats as i could(still am) even got a chance to see Arthur before he died.i think now that Love will always be with me (to cheesy?)
anyway thats it sorry for taking up half the page but i love to tell my love story &love to hear others.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  14:10:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well if it wasn't for a record store with a cut-out bin holding Forever Changes in the late 60's I don't know where I'd be with the band..being here in NY I don't think they came here too much..as for radio play forget about it. As fars gigs probably 1 or 2x..not sure exactly. I saw them once here and that was it. When I heard the record I didn't know what to make of it. Took me many listenings. For some reason I always kept going back to it. Those songs were and are still haunting. They lay in your brain and you can never get them out. Eventually I "heard the light".

Go to Top of Page

doggone
First Love

4 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  18:34:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I first found out about Love from being a fan of Lone Justice when their debut album came out. It was from reading an interview with Maria. I still love that debut LP from Lone Justice! I also found out about the Velvet Underground from Maria;-) And found out about Fairport Convention/Sandy Denny from the early 10,000 Maniacs. Weird but they guided me to great music!
Go to Top of Page

ed the bear
Fourth Love

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  00:17:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I first heard about them from a college roommate but, shameful to admit, wasn't all that taken by Forever Changes. (Dug the hell out of "7 and 7 is" and "The Castle" -- still do.) Some years later, far from home and somewhat bummed out by circumstances I stumbled onto "Love Revisited." "You Set the Scene" was a revelation -- no pun intended. Been a fan ever since.
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  06:16:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got interested in 60's psychedelic music with a few buddies of mine around '81 when we were about 16. Right before that I had reconnected with the Beatles, I'd loved hearing their records since I was knee-high. So later we were getting into the Stones, the Who, Hendrix, the Doors, all the old stuff you'd still hear on the radio in the early eighties, when a propitious article turned up in Creem magazine that pointed us toward the likes of Cream, Blue Cheer, 13th Floor Elevators, and LOVE.
Soon one of my friends got hold of Forever Changes, and let me borrow it. I can still remember the night I put it on and listened to it for the first time, burning candles and all excited to hear it. I liked it, there was something cool and weird about it, didn't sound like anything I'd really heard before... but, I thought, "it's not exactly psychedelic." ---hahahaha!!!
I figured that out later.
Despite the semi-anticlimactic response I had at the time, it totally intrigued me, especially the Red Telephone (which I had the wits to allow was sort of psychedelic), and it proceeded to grow on me with the stealth and precision that everybody here understands. Within two years the first four Love albums were essential to me, and Forever Changes was almost like a fortress.
Go to Top of Page

razortotinjim
Second Love

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  18:45:22  Show Profile  Visit razortotinjim's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From reading Jim Morrison's original Elektra bio. It says that Love & the Beach Boys were his favorite groups.

this is the time in life that I am livin' and I'll face each day with a smile
http://db.etree.org/razortotinjim

Edited by - razortotinjim on 06/06/2007 18:49:16
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  16:58:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I honestly cannot remember when and how I first heard a Love song.
I lived in Boston in the late sixties and bought the first album
1968 or 69. I think somehow I heard Little Red Book or Hey Joe.
On the east coast there was absolutely no promotion of Love and I
can't recall even hearing them on the radio. As a matter of fact the next album I bought was FC, not even knowing DeCapo was released.
No wonder they never achieved mainstream success. Outside of LA,
they were barely heard of.
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  17:28:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it was when I was 14/15 and as others have done on here, read they were Morrisons fave band, I came across forever changes on vinyl in an old record shop and thought it was the most wonderful thing I had ever heard..I let someone borrow that record years ago and not seen it since
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  23:22:23  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was in a music shop here in the UK about 5 years ago, I saw the forever changes album cover and it just jumped out at me. I had a quick read of the sleeve and decided I'd give it a go as it intrigued me. Probably the most random purchase I've ever made.....but easily the most important.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  08:18:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was exploring the deep and musty terrain that was my dads record collection about ten years ago. He's a novelist and a poet, and he used to review records in the sixties and seventies, and he wrote liner notes for some of them. Anyway, I discovered these mysterious and enigmatic-looking records called Da Capo and Forever Changes in his vaults. I put on FC first, and from the first note of Maybe the People, I was beyond hooked. I was a stone-cold fanatic. It was profound. It was almost indescribable. I suppose, like all of of us here, I just had that LOVE GENE.....

Michael Young
Go to Top of Page

GoodHumourMan
Third Love

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  15:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're all normal that we want our Love music

DanGerMan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page