Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  14:32:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just want to say that while, of course, I love rock I also love classical music and buy alot of it besides the usual rock, country, etc etc. Not sure if anybody here is into it but I figure if anybody loves music like everybody else here then maybe that end of the music spectrum will get alot of play in your lives later on. Recently, I've bought new recordings of Handel's concertos which are some of the greatest pieces of music every written. Just gonna say try it you might like it if you haven't yet. It's a whole other world in music! Many years ago a friend of mine told me to pick up "Water Music" by Handel. Didn't have a clue but after giving it a few listens it opened up everything musically for me. A couple of minutes and my life was changed...;-)...
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  20:37:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker
Recently, I've bought new recordings of Handel's concertos which are some of the greatest pieces of music every written. Just gonna say try it you might like it if you haven't yet. It's a whole other world in music! Many years ago a friend of mine told me to pick up "Water Music" by Handel. Didn't have a clue but after giving it a few listens it opened up everything musically for me. A couple of minutes and my life was changed...;-)...

Might just have to do that, rocker...
Just recently on another messageboard, someone asserted that "Louie Louie" was lifted straight off of that Handel Water Music you mentioned.
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  03:13:20  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bryan MacLean was inspired by classical music. ""Old Man", (based on the "Troika" movement from Prokofiev's Lieutenant Kije Suite)........and also Joaquin Rodrigo's, "Concierto De Aranjuez", (Spanish guitar magic!). Bryan's fondness for Broadway show tunes is also part of the magic mix of LOVE.
And then there's, " Days Of Future Past"!
My favorite classical is " Nutcracker Suite", because it's magic is so QUICK !

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2008 :  14:10:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice to see you guys going into the music..rock is great but there's other stuff too....

heh heh now that's the first time I've heard that Louie, Louie could be traced back to Water Music! Where did that come from????
And speaking of Handel, I have this feeling that he's a composer
that has alot of "rockish" elements in his music. He has these riffs which I think anybody who loves rock can easily latch on to. I think that's why I like his stuff very much. Had to see his house on Brook Street in London when I went...paid my respects!...

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2008 :  23:25:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blue Cheer's "Oh! Pleasant Hope" & "Original Human Being" NM first-press LPs,
still in the shrink. Blue Cheer LPs are getting so hard to find in any kind of
good condition nowadays.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2008 :  16:27:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doors' Strange Days mono...first press, vinyl!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2008 :  16:32:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

nice to see you guys going into the music..rock is great but there's other stuff too....

heh heh now that's the first time I've heard that Louie, Louie could be traced back to Water Music! Where did that come from????
And speaking of Handel, I have this feeling that he's a composer
that has alot of "rockish" elements in his music. He has these riffs which I think anybody who loves rock can easily latch on to. I think that's why I like his stuff very much. Had to see his house on Brook Street in London when I went...paid my respects!...

Right, rocker! I've got a decent vinyl classical collection....into some Debussy
right now. Picking up some nice imports (from UK & Europe). I like the early
50's & 60's high fidelity recordings.
Go to Top of Page

undergroundbasement
Third Love

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2008 :  16:45:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Proof "Electric Cool-Aid: Acid Testing" Transparent psychedelic green vinyl...

"I just don't want you using up my time, 'cause that's not right!"
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2008 :  17:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.......for free full mp3s (royalty-free & legal) of great classics go to link
below......

Handel's soaring Messiah to Listz or Debussy's intimate piano pieces (some of those
are very jazzy & innovative....period audiences hated them at times....just like
our rock music that our elders hated....give it a taste).

http://www.classiccat.net/

Edited by - lemonade kid on 25/04/2008 17:43:12
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2008 :  17:47:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by undergroundbasement

Proof "Electric Cool-Aid: Acid Testing" Transparent psychedelic green vinyl...

"I just don't want you using up my time, 'cause that's not right!"

Sounds very cool! What label?
Go to Top of Page

undergroundbasement
Third Love

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2008 :  18:15:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "Electric Cool-Aid: Acid Testing" EP was released in limited numbers by IronFist Records in 2002, and distributed by AMC. That's all the info I could find on this, I got my copy from ebay. Hope that helps!
Go to Top of Page

barbinberkeley
Fourth Love

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2008 :  03:42:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Truthfully, the last album I bought was Edith Piaf The Best of Carnegie Hall, just for the song La vie en rose. I'd like to mention the one that I can't get enough of, second to the last I bought. That is CQ by The Outsiders. We never got The Outsiders here in the US, so this is all new for me. This is a perfect album, for me. I like every one of the songs. If you're not familiar with The Outsiders, here's a website where you can download their first album, called The Outsiders, free:
http://dutchnuggets.wordpress.com/category/tax-free/
Just scroll down on the list on the left to either Tax-Free, or The Outsiders.
Go to Top of Page

undergroundbasement
Third Love

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2008 :  04:58:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jimi Hendrix "War Heroes", from a flea market record vendor.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2008 :  14:28:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lemonade kid...glad you found the 'classics'...I think some of the recordings you're listening to have no doubt been transferred to cd..they were recorded real well..and take a listen to Handel's Royal Fireworks Music if you haven't yet. I think you'd like it. And I'm trying to hear more of composers like Debussy.
Also, I've tried what they call 'atonal" music but I'm having a real hard time with it. I don't think I'll ever like it..no melody and no harmony for me!
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2008 :  14:38:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bob f...you mentioned Days of Future Past" by the Moody Blues. Now I thought that was a record that brought the whole classical world to rock, don't you think? It was so different and I think they used what they called a "mellotron" to get that sound meshing with the orchestra. Now the only other guy I think that went into classical stuff at the time was Zappa, right?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page