Page: of 24

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  16:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

lemonade kid...glad you found the 'classics'...I think some of the recordings you're listening to have no doubt been transferred to cd..they were recorded real well..and take a listen to Handel's Royal Fireworks Music if you haven't yet. I think you'd like it. And I'm trying to hear more of composers like Debussy.
Also, I've tried what they call 'atonal" music but I'm having a real hard time with it. I don't think I'll ever like it..no melody and no harmony for me!

Yah, rocker, Handel is so great. Not into the atonal music, either. Debussy, Liszt, Bartok & others started movement in that direction, but are still melodic. Peaceful almost trippy music. Sone of Debussy's loveliest are Clair de Lune & Children's Corner Suite.
Back in the 50's & early 60's all the recording industry's big bucks went into recording the
classics. Some of the best early stereo (& mono) recordings are of the classics, hence I lean
towards finding those on Angel, RCA, Columbia etc. So, I search for those classic recordings
on CD also. Though, to me, a CD doesn't come close to the warmth of a vinyl record & there
is nothing like carefully laying that record down on the turntable...........
& enjoying..........same goes for my psych collection. Have you tried Rachmaninov?!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 16/05/2008 20:33:08
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  03:58:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robert Fripp - 'A Blessing Of Tears'
Go to Top of Page

Alone Again
Fourth Love

Ireland
188 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  01:27:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was delighted to find Out There today on vinyl, had justdropped into the record store cause i was passing.
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2008 :  02:46:47  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob Mosley ( Moby Grape)solo album , 1972. $5.00 , good condition!
i get home with it all happy and my record player is broken! BWAAAA!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2008 :  03:36:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

Bob Mosley ( Moby Grape)solo album , 1972. $5.00 , good condition!
i get home with it all happy and my record player is broken! BWAAAA!

...what the world needs now...

Haven't seen that one...let us know how it is!

I picked up a vinyl OAR by Skip Spence....NM. Don't ask how much.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2008 :  14:22:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lemonade kid...Rachmaninov...hmmm....he's supposedly one of those 'romantic' composers, right? I noticed I'm out on a limb with those composers and my collection doesn't have alot of their stuff. Guess I have to listen more!

Re: vinyl...I had a record player that I thought was working but unfortunately it doesn't. The turntable mechanism broke. So what's a new turntable today? $10,000...;-)....
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2008 :  19:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

lemonade kid...Rachmaninov...hmmm....he's supposedly one of those 'romantic' composers, right? I noticed I'm out on a limb with those composers and my collection doesn't have alot of their stuff. Guess I have to listen more!

Re: vinyl...I had a record player that I thought was working but unfortunately it doesn't. The turntable mechanism broke. So what's a new turntable today? $10,000...;-)....

Most good used vinyl LP shops carry nice rebuilt TTs for $50-$300. I'm guessing you have
the amp & speakers. A decent complete new system can be gotten for between $500-$1000.
Good luck, Rocker.

A good start on symphonies are Beethoven's nine masterpieces. (at least the 7th & 9th).
Go to www.beethoven.com for good 24 hour classical music.
Rachmaninov's piano concerto no. 2, op. 18 is the famous one & a good one (yah, 'romantic').
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2008 :  14:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thx...Yes, all I need is the turntable..I'm going to look for one shortly..one of those technologies that won't go away...
Re: Beethoven..that old revolutionary..you picked a genius.....
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2008 :  16:53:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

thx...Yes, all I need is the turntable..I'm going to look for one shortly..one of those technologies that won't go away...
Re: Beethoven..that old revolutionary..you picked a genius.....

Ya! Long live the revolution!
Go to Top of Page

ed the bear
Fourth Love

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2008 :  04:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kinks "Face to Face" on CD. I ordered it at the same time I ordered the FC set, and it came first. Excellent. It had been way too long since I heard "Rainy Day in June" or "Fancy."

On the subject of turntables; I wandered into a "Sharper Image" store -- hey, stop throwing stuff at me, I was at the mall and I didn't want to help my wife look for shoes -- and saw a USB Turntable, of all things. What do you suppose are the chances the thing's any good? Anyone had any experience with one? I'd like to transcribe some of my LP's so as to be able to listen to them in the car.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2008 :  14:07:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ed..As I was browsing the other day I saw a new Kinks dvd having interviews, concerts and other stuff. Looked pretty good. I may pick it up. Now it would be nice though if remembered the name..;-)..I'll check.

Re: turntables...maybe you've seen those machines which automatically transfer the lp to cd? I think they run about couple of hundred dollars. Not sure how good they are though. I'd love to get ALL my vinyl collection on cd but it could take years. I have ALOT of records like I think everybody here has.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2008 :  15:28:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed the bear

Kinks "Face to Face" on CD. I ordered it at the same time I ordered the FC set, and it came first. Excellent. It had been way too long since I heard "Rainy Day in June" or "Fancy."

On the subject of turntables; I wandered into a "Sharper Image" store -- hey, stop throwing stuff at me, I was at the mall and I didn't want to help my wife look for shoes -- and saw a USB Turntable, of all things. What do you suppose are the chances the thing's any good? Anyone had any experience with one? I'd like to transcribe some of my LP's so as to be able to listen to them in the car.

re: USB turntables

Check out this site..I've heard of this too. You can buy a better turntable & use a pre
amp mixer interface ($69) made to use with your computer's built-in sound card
....not sure how it works but check into it. My Mac has instructions on how to use
one's own TT with an 'adaptor' & it's 6 years old, so I'll look into how that works too
& get back here with any info I can find. (I've read about some problems with some
USB TTs, so check out the reviews first.)
http://www.dak.com

Edited by - lemonade kid on 16/05/2008 15:47:46
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2008 :  16:36:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shack...Zilch
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2008 :  20:32:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed the bear

These two sites address converting our LPs & tapes into CDs.

For Mac http://www.organarts.com/willis/RecordsToCD/RecordsToCD.html

For PC http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/VinylStudio/guide.aspx#sound_card
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2008 :  21:34:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thx... I'll be reading this ..we'll see what's up!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page