Posted - 20/05/2008 :  13:01:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jimi Hendrix "Crash Landing" Out-of-print cd, couldn't pass on it
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2008 :  07:51:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'Joan Baez', 'Joan Baez 2', 'Joan Baez 5' and 'Farewell Angelina' - classics from the early 60s folk boom and the birth of contemporary songwriting. I cannot think of any artist whose courage and integrity I respect more.

Edited by - John9 on 26/05/2008 07:53:00
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2008 :  21:20:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

'Joan Baez', 'Joan Baez 2', 'Joan Baez 5' and 'Farewell Angelina' - classics from the early 60s folk boom and the birth of contemporary songwriting. I cannot think of any artist whose courage and integrity I respect more.

"'One Day at a Time" LP from '69 is a good one too, John9. ('A Song For David' track is great---written during the period he went to prison for practicing his beliefs)

all o' god's children gotta have their freedom
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2008 :  01:16:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Yes lemonadekid, you are quite right about that - she did a huge amount of recording during the 60s didn't she - and since of course. I've also got both volumes of her early 60s concert recordings, one of her orchestral collaborations, entitled 'Joan' and her album of Dylan songs, 'Anyday Now'. All her Vanguard recordings are out over here in expanded and remastered editions on Ace. I saw the original 'Woodstock' film on its release in 1970 and one of my abiding memories is her haunting rendition of 'Joe Hill'. She also spoke of David's imprisonment. I was eighteen at the time and it was the first time I began to appreciate the impact that Vietnam had really had - it was like a coming of age. Years later, Joan appeared at a 'peace in Ireland' rally in Trafalgar Square. She took the line that peace must mean an end to violence on ALL sides and of course some extremists didn't like that. But undeterred she began to sing - and her beautiful soprano voice soared above all the shouts and protests. I don't think that I've ever heard music sound so powerful.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2008 :  14:25:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just an fyi on Joan B fans.....if you haven't seen this yet...she's on The Other Side of the Mirror..Dylan at Newport dvd....real good look at those days!.....
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2008 :  18:29:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

just an fyi on Joan B fans.....if you haven't seen this yet...she's on The Other Side of the Mirror..Dylan at Newport dvd....real good look at those days!.....

Nice. Thanks. What a time, Rocker.

Go to Top of Page

ed the bear
Fourth Love

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2008 :  06:48:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rocker,

They showed some of the Newport DVD on our local PBS station a couple months ago, including just a few seconds of Johnny Cash doing "Don't Think Twice." Is that whole performance on the DVD by any chance?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2008 :  13:52:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ed... I'll check for you...I'm not sure...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2008 :  23:30:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

thx... I'll be reading this ..we'll see what's up!

Rocker & ed the bear,

I'm trying to record directly from TT into my Mac using a cable that runs from the rec-out jacks on the TT into the
mike jack in the computer. Using the GarageBand software that came with iLife I'm hoping that I can
digitize my LPs & burn to CD......I've tried it with SoundStage but haven't figured how to use the sound board to
adjust the quality. I think GarageBand would be better since artists are using it to record their live music.
A USB sound card ($55) is supposed to work better maybe, TT to computer. I'm just going the cheapest route
now. I'll let you know. Have you guys tried recording anything??

Edited by - lemonade kid on 30/05/2008 23:31:51
Go to Top of Page

ed the bear
Fourth Love

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2008 :  04:13:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lemonade kid,
Thanks for the update. I'm still at the "gosh I ought to..." stage but the other night I found a cassette of a (completely non-famous) band I was in 30 years ago. Got to do something before the last cassette deck in the house goes south... Turntables are wondrous things, built as if by the Egypitians, but cassette decks are like mayflies.
Go to Top of Page

ed the bear
Fourth Love

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2008 :  04:15:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Picked up Leon Russell's "Retrospective" last week. There's some good stuff, esp. "Stranger in a Strange Land" and "Lost in the Woods."
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  01:23:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty Things' Parachute & SF Sorrow, the out-of-print double CD. Had to have it.
Can't even get Parachute anymore!!?? ......So this was a find.

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  20:25:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ed...re: Johnny Cash on "The Other Side of the Mirror" Right, Johnny is only there for very few minutes singing then they segue into Joan B performing ...
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  21:08:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Japanese Parachute CD with bonus tracks is available at eil.com for about £30. Also a vinyl copy of original for about £15.

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=397340

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=357874
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page