Vampire Weekend

Awsome stuff
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  14:03:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lemonade kid....I'm kind of at the point where I would like to get all my vinyl onto my ipod. I don't know how this is going to work out but I think I'll need some patience...I saw a turntable that 'digitizes' vinyl but I'm not so sure how that works out especially on quality....heh heh sometimes I think I should just give all of them to a co who might do that kind of stuff and just pay'em!.....;-)....
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  22:59:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

lemonade kid....I'm kind of at the point where I would like to get all my vinyl onto my ipod. I don't know how this is going to work out but I think I'll need some patience...I saw a turntable that 'digitizes' vinyl but I'm not so sure how that works out especially on quality....heh heh sometimes I think I should just give all of them to a co who might do that kind of stuff and just pay'em!.....;-)....

There are some decent TTs that burn your LPs to CDs, but which is best? I don't know. Probably the $200-300 range.
Maybe three is a quality review on the net. I think I saw one or two.
This is what TheDoorsMusic (site adm.) from thefreedomman site does......using Audio Technica AT-50 turntable, output into iMac adapter & USB into computer .....uses Audacity & saves as .WAV files. Says it works great. I'm guessing the same can be done with
a PC.

all o' god's children gotta have their freedom
Go to Top of Page

DaveyTee
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  00:19:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've recorded a lot of my vinyl onto CD. It was fairly simple, but time consuming.

I didn't buy a special turntable. I've already got a good one (Linn Axis) and I connected that to my amp in the usual way, and then connected the amp to the line-in jack socket on my PC. I had to buy a special cable for that - two phonos for the amp, one jack for the PC - can't remember the precise details. I did try connecting the turntable directly to the PC, but if I missed out the amp, it didn't work.

The software I used was Goldwave (http://www.goldwave.com/). You can download a fully functional evaluation version from their website. It isn't particularly easy to use at first - I certainly found it was a steep learning curve. What was important was that once I'd got the hang of it it did the trick. It was also cheap - the only money I spent was on the cable and, of course, the blank CDs.

The time consuming bit follows the basic recording and involves getting rid of clicks and hisses from old vinyl, dividing your recordings into separate tracks, etc.

Hope this is of some help.

DT

Edited by - DaveyTee on 05/06/2008 00:28:57
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  05:45:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveyTee

I've recorded a lot of my vinyl onto CD. It was fairly simple, but time consuming.

I didn't buy a special turntable. I've already got a good one (Linn Axis) and I connected that to my amp in the usual way, and then connected the amp to the line-in jack socket on my PC. I had to buy a special cable for that - two phonos for the amp, one jack for the PC - can't remember the precise details. I did try connecting the turntable directly to the PC, but if I missed out the amp, it didn't work.

The software I used was Goldwave (http://www.goldwave.com/). You can download a fully functional evaluation version from their website. It isn't particularly easy to use at first - I certainly found it was a steep learning curve. What was important was that once I'd got the hang of it it did the trick. It was also cheap - the only money I spent was on the cable and, of course, the blank CDs.

The time consuming bit follows the basic recording and involves getting rid of clicks and hisses from old vinyl, dividing your recordings into separate tracks, etc.

Hope this is of some help.

DT

Thanks, DavyTee. You're right about the simple, inexpensive set-up AND the learning curve. I'm still learning...trying 'Garageband'
but I'll try the download you suggested because Garageband is very complicated at first. I wonder if it will work
with the Mac platform?

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  14:03:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for all that info...you guys are enterprising!....I'm not too bad with the tech stuff but I'm kind of dp'd already (data poisoned!) and just don't have the time to get into it...heh heh I may wait for a mchine where I just slide the vinyl in and the vinyl out and then power up the pod.....;-)...
Go to Top of Page

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  22:59:12  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Audacity's very good on the pc. Don't sourceforge do a mac version yet?
I got a shareware prog called sound studio for the mac when i was transferring shows from the minidisc recorder.

Now you've got me wondering about garage band ...

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  18:03:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lizzyb

Audacity's very good on the pc. Don't sourceforge do a mac version yet?
I got a shareware prog called sound studio for the mac when i was transferring shows from the minidisc recorder.

Now you've got me wondering about garage band ...

Keep on shining

Ya, Lizzyb. I've got both Sound Studio (comes with the Mac package) & Garageband, & I know that many artists are using Garageband to demo their music. It's very complex as far as being able to edit with equalizer & sound board & many, many
features. How did Sound Studio work?? My first try was without any adjustments & the audio was noisy, so I need
to get a tutorial going & figure it out.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 06/06/2008 18:06:18
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  18:16:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Picked up Van Dyke Parks' 1968 'Song Cycle'.

Always heard it was a masterpiece. First listen
was ....'whoops, won't ever listen to this!' But then I got into a Frank Zappa instrumental
state of mind & this is just as complex & rich. Very abstract & deconstructionist orchestral
kind of psych work.....multi-layered & pretty interesting! I can hear a lot of Brian Wilson
in it....the instrumental works of Wilson, but with a lot of Zappa-like vocals.
And isn't that McCartney singing at the end of side one??

Anyone else into Parks. Certainly enjoy his collaboration on SMiLE.........

Edited by - lemonade kid on 06/06/2008 22:07:04
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2008 :  03:01:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got my dream package by post today. In it were: On Vinyl......The Doors (stereo) 1st press still in the shrink NM,
Beach Boys Today (mono) still in the shrink NM, Holland by the Beach Boys with the EP (NM-), Four Sail
(red label, 1st press) NM, Blue by Joni Mitchell (NM), Silk Torpedo (NM). Double CD of Cross Talk & Freeway Madness
by the Pretties!!! I must be dreaming. All for $115 (US).

Go to Top of Page

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2008 :  05:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lk, Outstanding! Blue is an all time favorite of mine, and I still have the vinyl from the day. Are you willing to share your source for such gems?

All misspellings are purposeful...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2008 :  06:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LeeRob

lk, Outstanding! Blue is an all time favorite of mine, and I still have the vinyl from the day. Are you willing to share your source for such gems?

All misspellings are purposeful...

Mike's Music, owned by my friend Mike Pollack in Sanford, Maine. 207-324-1377
He doesn't have a web page, just a small shop, but he's very a reasonable guy & will negotiate, & trade (if it's
something he wants). Best time to call is 1-5 EST Tuesday thru Saturday.

This really isn't a sell on my part. You just asked & I don't mind referring you to a fellow music lover.
The guy just loves records like us & must have a combined store/personal
collection of some 30,000+ records.......a lot of out of print CDs too. He's in the business just because he loves to find that
treasure that's always around the next corner. Tell him Scott recommended you (& anyone else from
this messageboard that's reading this........it's slow times in Maine so give it a shot.)

I'm currently away from Maine...in the midwest right now, so just give him a call.
By the way, Blue is one of my favs too. I wore mine out & got another.
And LoVE is a personal favorite of Mike's too. Picked up a vinyl copy of Oar by Skip Spence there.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 19/06/2008 06:25:19
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2008 :  14:27:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thx for the info lk....
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2008 :  00:52:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, the Four Sail LP that I just got had a little ring wear on the cover, but when I pulled the sleeve out
I suspected it hadn't been pulled out more than a couple times. So, when I looked at the spindle hole, there was
a little sliver of vinyl still in the hole! It had never been played!! The vinyl would have been pushed out the
first time that it went on the turntable....which happened when I did that. Not a pop or tick. Amazing.

Hadn't bothered to listen to it before, but if Four Sail didn't have three previous masterpieces to be compared to,
it would be considered a stellar album! Do you all agree?

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2008 :  14:20:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I know that some here have differing views of that record. After all these years I'm biased and I've always liked it. Of course it has a different sensibility than FC. I thought the "Four Sail" song arrangements were just simpler and Arthur and the band got away from all that earlier "complication". Always gets played in my house.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page