Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

BOBKSBR
Second Love

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2008 :  00:42:25  Show Profile  Visit BOBKSBR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I recently bought a near mint copy of Booker T & Priscilla's first LP from 1971, finally gave up on it being available anywhere on CD.
Go to Top of Page

Alone Again
Fourth Love

Ireland
188 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2008 :  12:15:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Allman Brothers Band - Brothers and Sisters
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2008 :  14:23:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know I just learned that many cd stores including Virgin are closing up beacuse of the lack of sales (Tower is already gone because of lack of sales). What's interesting is the fact that vinyl is getting a resurgence. While I know that the mantra now is to get everything off the web I'm just kind of surprised in what's happening to the music industry. From the looks of it it's not healthy and it seems that a "back to the future" mentality has begun to root. Perhaps that might be it's saving grace. Interesting that it's that era of pure inventiveness and creativity that is helping to bring good music out again.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2008 :  18:17:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

You know I just learned that many cd stores including Virgin are closing up beacuse of the lack of sales (Tower is already gone because of lack of sales). What's interesting is the fact that vinyl is getting a resurgence. While I know that the mantra now is to get everything off the web I'm just kind of surprised in what's happening to the music industry. From the looks of it it's not healthy and it seems that a "back to the future" mentality has begun to root. Perhaps that might be it's saving grace. Interesting that it's that era of pure inventiveness and creativity that is helping to bring good music out again.

Yah! The new & reissued vinyl section at my friend's indie record shop is growing daily. The little shops are
what we grew up on....so, the chains are dying? ......the kids drove the sales & now they're driving them under!

all o' god's children gotta have their freedom
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2008 :  23:05:24  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I bought 'Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blue' today. I've never heard any of his stuff before but for some reason I just felt like getting this. Just listening to it now and it sounds pretty cool and it's really well packaged and presented. Not bad value for money either with 33 tracks on two cds.

I also bought 'Gypsy Beats and Balkan Bangers' today too. As a big Gogol Bordello fan I wanted to delve a bit deeper into their genre. It's great stuff, a good mix between traditional eastern european sounds with a heavier modern edge.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2008 :  00:42:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been shopping a bit on ebay of late - couple of Eric Andersen albums have been the latest. Blue River is in the post as we speak and the other one I got last week is 'Ghosts Upon The Road', which criminally is no longer in print - even Eric doesn't have any copies for sale. Picked up a brand new sealed copy for less than 12 bucks including shipping from the States.

What's it like? Eric is, like I have said elsewhere on the board about Judee Sill, one of the best singer songwriter's you never heard. I don't always go with critics (praise for FC notwithstanding!), but:

"Rolling Stone Album Guide, 1992
4 1/2 Stars...music of rare intelligence and finesse;... one of the best albums of the 1980's."
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2008 :  02:22:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

Been shopping a bit on ebay of late - couple of Eric Andersen albums have been the latest. Blue River is in the post as we speak and the other one I got last week is 'Ghosts Upon The Road', which criminally is no longer in print - even Eric doesn't have any copies for sale. Picked up a brand new sealed copy for less than 12 bucks including shipping from the States.

What's it like? Eric is, like I have said elsewhere on the board about Judee Sill, one of the best singer songwriter's you never heard. I don't always go with critics (praise for FC notwithstanding!), but:

"Rolling Stone Album Guide, 1992
4 1/2 Stars...music of rare intelligence and finesse;... one of the best albums of the 1980's."

Blue River is Eric's best, but I like them all. You'll be amazed by his folk & folk rock style. Joni Mitchell sings on the
song Blue River. "Stages: The Lost Album" was his follow up to Blue River, but the master tapes were lost & Eric was devastated. They were found in 1991 & finally released. Also amazing. You're right about "Ghosts Upon the Road".
Nice find!

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2008 :  16:42:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kula John

I bought 'Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blue' today. I've never heard any of his stuff before but for some reason I just felt like getting this. Just listening to it now and it sounds pretty cool and it's really well packaged and presented. Not bad value for money either with 33 tracks on two cds.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....

Great, kula!! I'm waiting for the Sundazed issue on 180 gram vinyl. Triple gatefold with three LPs.......same as your
first two CDs & a third record with yet another unreleased album concept.....a very talented singer song writer that is overlooked as just an average drummer. History will out.

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2008 :  16:47:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been a couple weeks since I got The Pretties' "Freeway Madness", but his one just keeps working it's way deeper & deeper into my soul. My 21 & 16 year old nephews are crazy over it! "Love is Good' blew them away. There IS hope that the new generations will carry on!! ....."All Night Sailor"!!!! If it weren't for SF Sorrow & Parachute this would be my
top Pretties LP!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 10/07/2008 22:28:43
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  21:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Can we include (legally purchased) downloads here? I actually download very little but I did notice that nearly all the tracks from David Crosby's recent Voyage box set were available from HMV. Rather than shell out forty quid on the whole package, I downloaded four really interesting demos from the late 60s/early 70s. Sparkling like a jewel amongst these is a spine tingling version of 'Guinnevere'. It carries a vocal and guitar arrangement that makes the (excellent) version on Crosby Stills and Nash seem pedestrian by comparison.
Go to Top of Page

ed the bear
Fourth Love

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2008 :  06:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blood, Sweat and Tears, "Child is Father to the Man." I picked up the CD tonight.
In the liner notes, written in 2000, Al Kooper describes his being fired from the band as similar to Dr. Frankenstein being killed by his monster. In retrospect, you can certainly detect the tension between Al and the rest of the band wanting to go in different directions.
I know they met with more commercial success after Al left, but d@mn it all, was any of the subsequent work even half as powerful as "I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know?"
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  14:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"wanting to go into different directions"...
BS&T..surely a super-group, eh?..they made great music...I know Al K has done a record....physically he's challenegd today....
Go to Top of Page

undergroundbasement
Third Love

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  19:45:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Here's a link to hear "Valleys Of Neptune" [Piano]. It's the last track on the compilation and was recorded at Olympic Studios in London early 1969. There's not much to it, just Jimi Hendrix playing piano...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=roKH3R3HuSM

We're all normal...
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2008 :  14:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No doubt if Jimi "stayed" with piano he would probably have revolutionized its playing like he did with the guitar...

Picked up this dvd called "Transformer-Classic album" by Lou Reed..
Some "classic" record....sure defined a time and music style.... affected alot of people who admired Reed and the Velvets..Mick Ronson, Dave Stewart all speak about it...and that "Perfect Day" is such a great song...

Go to Top of Page

Alone Again
Fourth Love

Ireland
188 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  01:47:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just back from Vancouver where i found myself going into every record shop i could find and ended up coming back with:
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced
Van Morrison - Moondance
Santana - Abraxis (turned out to be a Barbra Streisand album inside)
Rory Gallagher - Top Priority
Rory Gallagher - Sinner and Saint
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
Love - Best of
Joe Cocker - With a Little Help From My Friends
and summin else i cant remember right now

Also bought the Last Shadow Puppets in the airport
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly