Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  19:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jellybean...shame on you

Willie Dixon (not nixon

John9

I like the Beck Yardbirds most of all. The CD was made chronologically, so you'll hear how the band progresses through time. 'Dust My Broom' and 'Scratch My Back' are outstanding-Jeff was mightily into his Blues thing.

The last 5 cuts are when Page took over lead guitar.

You'll love this CD

Also and BTW-I actually have the LP called LIVE Yardbirds (Epic E30615) that is the last gig which they performed as The New Yardbirds recorded at the Anderson Theatre on the Lower East Side in NYC on March 30, 1968. On the LP, Page does "I'm Confused"...the forerunner of 'Dazed and Confused' as well as White Summer.

I believe this LP is HTF now. It is an EXCELLENT PLUS LP

Allan

Edited by - Allan on 02/09/2007 19:40:50
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  21:02:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Dudda

quote:
Originally posted by Old_Man

Balboa Island - The Pretty Things

Whats it like?

Well Rob It's the best thing they have done in years. Leans heavily towards blues but includes a couple of typical rock/pop tunes they are well known for. They do a great version of Dylan's Ballad Of Hollis Brown. Also included on the album is a song of their's from about 20 years ago, All Light Up, which was originally a pro dope smoking song, now re-released as a single aimed at the governments ban on smoking in public places (in the UK). Phil May's vocals get better with age. This album proves that the Pretties still have what it takes even after 40 odd years. I'm playing it to death right now! It's released in the UK this month sometime, can't remember the actual date. You can hear samples here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Balboa-Island-Pretty-Things/dp/B000QXDJFE/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_3/203-0096598-8570311?ie=UTF8&qid=1188720890&sr=8-2

Edited by - Old_Man on 02/09/2007 22:52:52
Go to Top of Page

Rob Dudda
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  22:01:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent...thanks "Old Man"
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  23:19:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Allan - thanks for telling me about this New Yardbirds album - it was a complete revelation to me. When you've time, could you let me know the track listing - I have always been fascinated by the transitional phases in a group's history. When I was a kid in Yorkshire around 1967, I had a female penfriend in Wisconsin - and she was into the Yardbirds big time - and so to keep in with her I told her (incorrectly)that they were also my favourite group. It was only in later years that I really began to appreciate just how important they had been

cheers John
Go to Top of Page

michael
Third Love

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  04:01:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Os Mutantes-Os Mutantes (1968)
Os Mutantes-Mutantes (1969)

The Mutants, Check out some Portuguese psychedelia from Brazil

God Bless.......Michael
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  12:53:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well you know what i meant, you should be aware that my typing skills are not great by now
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  12:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm thinking about getting this, I prob have the majority of the stuff on there but box sets are so nice

Nuggets IV - San Francisco Nuggets - Love Is The Song We Sing - San Francisco Nuggets 1965-1970. 4-CD Box Set, GBP37.00.
San Francisco Nuggets 1965-1970. This ambitious hard back book with four CD's attempts to do what no other compilation has ever done properly - comprehensively covered the San Francisco psychedelic rock explosion of the 1960s. This package is everything you always wanted to hear but didn't have a chance to listen to. All of the best obscure pop/psych/garage/rock/folk nuggets and more well known acid gems from the flower and hippy capitol of the world are featured. Covering the scene from the birth of the legend in 1965 until the time the flowers wilted in 1970, the cream of 60s countercultural music is packed in a book that also features many rarely seen photos and expert analysis. Highlights include "Can't Come Down" from Dead precursors The Warlocks, the demo for Quicksilver Messenger Service's "Who Do You Love", the earliest incarnation of the Airplane on "It's No Secret", "I Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die Rag" from Country Joe & The Fish and "Mr. Jones (A Ballad Of A Thin Man)" from a prehistoric Grass Roots ensemble alongside some gems from Teddy & His Patches "Suzy Creamcheese", The Chocolate Watchband's "No Way Out" and Frumious Bandersnatch's "Hearts To Cry" and much, much more. An extensive labour of love featuring four themed CD's housed in a beautiful 120 page 'coffee table' styled book packed with rare photos and information. When it comes to West Coast music, this is the big one! Due In: 24/09/2007. http://www.freakemporium.com/site/display
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  22:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael..that Porteguese psychedelia is intriguing. '68 and '69..I managed to pick up some "Central European" rock on a cd that brought me back to when I was there during that late sixtyish time... time...the songs are heavily influenced by the great bands like the Beatles,the Stones, the Who, the Kinks..they just freaked with that "freedom" and loved making the music I can tell you......
Go to Top of Page

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  08:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's an astounding record by Neutral Milk Hotel called In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, and it's truly psychedelic and elusive and ecstatic and enigmatic and filled with classic pop musicianship ....almost like a little record called Forever Changes. They were this brilliant, short-lived band that was part of the Elephant Six collective: a strange, lysergic label from the Southern U.S. that had its heydey in the late 1990's.(The lead singer/mastermind has pretty much vanished into the cosmic ether.) There's even one of those 33 1/3 critical-analysis books written about this record. A true keeper.

Michael Young
Go to Top of Page

watchinallthapeople
Fourth Love

155 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  10:21:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brazillian Psyche! Sounds cool, have either of those albums got a CD release or were they a lucky vinyl find?

Just got Shuggie Otis freedom flight

very cool especially the title track
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  20:27:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brand-spankin-new Blue Cheer album "What Doesn't Kill You..."
It's good, it's no Vincebus Eruptum or OutsideInside, but I might take it over 'New-Improved,' Randy Holden or no. Need to listen again though.
Go to Top of Page

barbinberkeley
Fourth Love

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2007 :  07:24:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Animals A's B's & EP's, has 24 tracks, made in England; and I bought The Pretty Things..Rage Before Beauty. A friend advised me to buy The Twelve Dreams of Doctor Sandonicus, by Spirit, but it wasn't available today. I've been reading up on Eric Burdon and found that George Suranovitch was in one of his bands in 1971.
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2007 :  06:58:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by barbinberkeley

A friend advised me to buy The Twelve Dreams of Doctor Sandonicus, by Spirit, but it wasn't available today. I've been reading up on Eric Burdon and found that George Suranovitch was in one of his bands in 1971.

Barb, Twelve Dreams is a great album, not likely to dissapoint!
The Suranovitch/Burdon alliance is interesting, I'll have to try to remember to find that sometime.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2007 :  11:42:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Yes, 'Sardonicus' is a great album - it is almost Spirit's 'Forever Changes'-although the preceding albums 'Spirit', 'Clear Spirit' and 'The Family That Plays Together are also very srong. The remastered and extended 'The Best Of Spirit' represents all four of these albums......including the song 'Taurus' whose writer, Randy California always insisted was later ripped off by the Zepps for 'Stairway to Heaven'.

Concerning the Burdon/Suranovich connection, I believe that Kim Kesterson, who joined Love in 1975 with George, had also been with Eric Burdon in the early 70's.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page