New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John E
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2006 :  12:56:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to this gig (re-scheduled from May). Apparently, they still have tickets, and there's a strong rumour that Robert Plant will be there tonight. Love, John E

Cal Jam
Fourth Love

220 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2006 :  16:53:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm off to see Terry at Dingwall's on the 24th! Let me know what he is like!
Go to Top of Page

John E
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2006 :  23:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Terry Reid gig these days teeters on the farcical whilst containing moments (and indeed whole songs) of sheer brilliance. Reid was seen all round Dingwalls before he took to the stage, greeting his friends and guests. He was wearing a white suit, white shirt, coloured tie and panama hat. I don't think Robert Plant turned up after all, but Frankie Miller was in the audience, seated in a wheel-chair. Eventually Reid took to the stage with his totally phenomenal backing band. Reid himself generally appears to have consumed (shall we say) more than a small amount of alcohol. He sends himself up, sings some lines in a funny voice, pulls silly faces, and frequently makes "oh you shouldn't!" gestures to the audience. A degree of fumbling took place when he adjusted his guitar strap, did some tuning or located his drink on the floor. Basically Reid is a very likeable guy and gets away with murder. Nonetheless when that legendary voice comes across with all its power, all is forgiven. "No Expression" was absolutely stunning, and Reid played an excellent solo version of "Seed of Memory". "Brave Awakening" was also good. Reid got into a good groove with the blues classic "Lonely Avenue", but did not pull Brian Wilson's "Don't Worry Baby" off so well, this time. "Superlungs" was just okay. The biggest surprise of the evening was when Reid followed "the Beatles" Baby It's You with an awesome version of "Day in the Life" in which his band recreated all the relevant sound effects (it was totally amazing to hear that live!). Reid encored with "The River" but did not play quite so many of his own gems this time, despite the cries for "Silver White Light". In conclusion, Reid treads a dangerous tightrope, but I'll be back for more on Sunday week! Love, John E
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2006 :  03:34:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just glad the guy's still around. (Quick, where's some wood?)
Go to Top of Page

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2006 :  22:37:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really nice to hear Frankie is getting out and about.
Go to Top of Page

Cal Jam
Fourth Love

220 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2006 :  21:47:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers for the review! I've heard a lot of mixed things about his live shows, but the general feeling that comes across is that when he does hit the right vibe, he's fantastic. I heard reports from a couple of his gigs on the last UK tour that said he was drunk, and sang awful.
Go to Top of Page

John E
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2006 :  22:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cal Jam,
I saw Terry at the 100 Club last year, and he appeared to be as pissed as a newt as well as having a sore throat. Despite this, he seemed so eager to succeed, and the audience were so supportive that the whole thing was undeniably a success.
Cheers, John E
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page