Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Susan B.
Third Love

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  23:05:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just read that the State of New York may parole Mark Chapman the killer of John Lennon on Tuesday or Wednesday. I think this is an atrocity. Arthur gets 6 years for doing nothing and they are going to free the man who killed one of the greatest musical geniuses after 24 years. Please sign the petition to keepm him locked up at: http://www.petitiononline.com/rem128/petition.html

Thank you so much

ocfan
Fourth Love

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  03:56:53  Show Profile  Visit ocfan's Homepage  Click to see ocfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Done. I hope others do the same.
Go to Top of Page

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  11:49:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup done it too, come on you lot get signing
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  12:53:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Done as well. I echo Larry...everyone pleaae sign
Go to Top of Page

gordo
Third Love

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  12:54:45  Show Profile  Visit gordo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
first of all it's unlikely parole will be granted due to the number of death threats against him

secondly, I never knew that sentences for murder depend on whether the person you kill is famous?

whether 24 years is long enough a sentence for murder is another matter.

But I for one am not prepared to sign a petition that effectively is calling for somebody to be denied their freedom on the grounds their victim was famous.

If it was a petition calling for consistant sentencing of convicted criminals regardless of colour, nationality or wealth, that might be worth signing, but I guess nobody else would be interested because the average victim of crime doesn't make great music.
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Third Love

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  12:57:43  Show Profile  Visit Ben's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good post Gordo.

There's an informed discussion I've found at

http://www.courttv.com/talk/chat_transcripts/deathofabeatle.html

Whilst this is mostly "pro" Mark Chapman I'd be interested to read the obverse of the coin if anyone has any examples.
Go to Top of Page

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  14:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read a piece the other day, think it was NY Times, saying Chapman is still seeking fame and recognition his warped ego has not diminished. This is why I was happy to sign the petition, it has nothing to do with the victim being famous.He has served his time and quite rightly is up for parole but his mental state has to be carefully considered, there are indications that he may still pose a threat to society.If on the other hand expert opinion deems that he is fully rehabilitated then thats another matter entirely.
Go to Top of Page

gordo
Third Love

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  15:00:25  Show Profile  Visit gordo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If it wasn't the man who murdered John Lennon would you be signing a petition calling for parole to be denied?

If indeed the decision should be based on expert opinion, in what way does signing a petition contribute to that process?

Incidentally, newspapers sometimes print one sided articles that don't give you the whole picture, suprisingly enough.
Go to Top of Page

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  15:33:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sadly you are right that non celebrity cases dont get the exposure they deserve and thus there would be no petition.However as this case has had plenty of publicity you have a somewhat informed choice wether to sign or not. I cannot answer for others but my reason for signing has nothing to do with vindictiveness.I believe Chapman will jump on some quasi religeous bandwagon and spout his views in public, this would not only a danger to himself but innocent bystanders too. We are all entitled to our views.
Newspapers dont always tell the whole truth ?? Well I never
Go to Top of Page

caryl
Second Love

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  17:33:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope he NEVER gets parole!!!
Go to Top of Page

ocfan
Fourth Love

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  21:41:49  Show Profile  Visit ocfan's Homepage  Click to see ocfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would happily sign a petition for any murderer to not be released if I felt would be a threat to society.
This has nothing to do with John Lennon except it is true it gets publicity that other victims are not afforded.
All victims families have the right to petition the court when they feel that someone still would be a threat to society and I think Chapman would. To not sign the petition because John Lennon was the victim is strange. It should or should not be signed on it's merits alone.
Each case should be determined by the expectation of being a continuing threat to society. In Chapman's case, I think he is a continuing threat.
Go to Top of Page

gordo
Third Love

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  11:22:02  Show Profile  Visit gordo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why is the petition not calling for the people making the decision to make an honest judgement based on the information presented to them? Let's face it they'll have a wider selection of first hand information rather than just a collection of second and third hand information that 99.9% of the people signing the petition have access to.

If any petition, unlikely as it is, sways the decision of the parole hearing one way or the other it brings the justice system into disrepute because at that point any pretence of honesty in the procedings has gone.
Go to Top of Page

Susan B.
Third Love

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2004 :  01:43:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess it is just like the U.S. elections coming up.
Go to Top of Page

gordo
Third Love

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2004 :  14:01:44  Show Profile  Visit gordo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well, his parole got turned down and you can be sure that nobody saw any online petition when making the decision

I'm not sure that letting Julia Baird (my old french teacher and John Lennon's half sister) plea for him to be kept behind bars for his own safety, is really a sane method of contributing the parole process.
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Third Love

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  20:02:26  Show Profile  Visit Ben's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if there's a petition to keep Mark Thatcher locked up? I'd definitely sign that one!
Go to Top of Page

otis robb
Third Love

50 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2004 :  02:46:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont Call Me Mark Chapman - Julian Cope on his 'Autogeddon' LP of some time ago 1994(any Teardrop Explodes fans out there) referenced our 'famed friend'. Visionary? Very Possible. But any thing Julian is quite so. Even if not mistaken, I believe on his website he has dedicated some space to reviewing some Love/Arthur Lee things.
Peace till the next.....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page