Chicago Sun Times Review of show
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigrubberglove
Fourth Love

188 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2004 :  14:11:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I am glad he noted that last year's shows were "transcendent" but from the reviews of other board members it seems like the band is doing it again on this tour. Perhaps the critic has a bias for the orchestra. I know that when you hear Love songs in your head, your mind fills in the little horn and string bits and perhaps the dissonance of not hearing that live but in your head is partially what bothered him.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/derogatis/cst-ftr-zombies111.html

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2004 :  14:29:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think you may be right there. Personally I have only seen Love with the orchestra but by the huge amount of rave reviews that I have read minus the orchestra, I know that it should be reviewed with a completely diffent mindset, I think this guy was incapable of that, besides that I think any arist has the right to show an alternative dimension their their work.
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2004 :  03:50:38  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i agree about the Zombies.disagree about the LOVE minus strings and horns. the orchestra is only an added imbellishment to an already enthralling performance, with Randle doing magic to play the music in our heads, the strings and horns are , yes a blessing, but, as a live rock band, LOVE stays close to it's roots. i'm grateful to have caught a few Forever Changes with orchestra shows! WOW!
Go to Top of Page

Stoneface
First Love

4 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2004 :  05:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim Derogotis of the Sun Times is a knowledgeable critic, but I don't know what his problem was Friday night. Love left the audience at the Park West ecstatic. I took two female friends who didn't really know Loves music ( one was VERY skeptical ). They were both thrilled by the performance.

Here's an excerpt from todays Chicago Tribune review by Bob Gendron:

"Performing an 80-minute set of acid-tinged garage rock, gorgeous, stained-glass soul and jangling folk that triggered powerful memories of period and place, Lee and his five-piece group - consisting of rock quartet Baby Lemonade and original Love guitarist Johnny Echols - evoked 1968's paranoid vibes and guarded optimism.

Albeit slightly guazy, Lee's gospel-hued voice was till in fine shape. He skimped on high notes but compensated with cowboy-blues harmonica bursts that amplified the plight of the strung-out addict crying for help on "Signed D.C." and stretched "A House Is Not A Motel" into a personal call-and-response statement.

Whipping a tambourine against his hips and hands, the 59-year-old Lee basked in the enthusiastic applause, played up the contemporary significance of his anti-war lyrics and appeared grateful for the opportunity t stage his third area concert since his 2001 release from prison.

Augmented by Echol's tight leads, Lee's flexible supporting cast expertly mapped its way through Love's colorful, musical mazes. With as many as four guitars joining the cause, the group swirled bouncing rhythms on "Live And Let Live", clapped Bo Diddley thunder on "Bummer in the Summer" and scrawled "Seven & Seven Is" with urgent fuzztone accents before heading into the song's beautiful coda.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page