Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

jazmaan
Fifth Love

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2004 :  04:21:32  Show Profile  Visit jazmaan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice to meet all the knowledgeable jazz fans on this board! And thanks for the personal story Mary, I really appreciated it! I have the Berlin lp and the Anthology lp. I need to transfer them to my iPOD!

I regret that I never got to see Leon Thomas live, but I did see your friend Jimmy Scott a few years ago here in Hollywood. He has a unique voice but he's not really my cup of tea. Was it Mingus who refused to play with Jimmy Scott because he sang so far behind the beat? Well I can relate, I like to hear that swing, which Leon certainly had in spades. You've got to see that clip of him sitting in with Lambert, Hendricks and Ross. I'm sure they must have it at the NYC branch of the Museum of Television.

Somebody mentioned Jean Carn. Didn't she used to sing with Oscar Brown, Jr? I adore Oscar Brown! There's also a clip of THEM together at the Museum of Television. One of my favorite pastimes is just plugging in jazz names into the Museum of TV's computer and seeing who they've got in their library. You'd be amazed!

Go to Top of Page

jazzy mary
Third Love

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2004 :  16:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey jazmaan, isn't the Berlin album the baddest!!!? I'm surprised you don't care for Jimmy, he can move you like no other.

It doesn't surprise me that AL fans would be jazz fans and vice versa(in my case)as AL's music is so much more complex. Where the hell was I when "Forever Changes" came out!!!?? I know where I was--in my little, small farm town in Illinois listening to Charlie Parker, Miles and Coltrane and Archie Shepp!! I was such an outcast! Like I cared! My little town was too conservative.

For my Jr. year term paper, I did a report on Bird and I took in my portable phonograph and played Bird for my class. They didn't know what was going on1 They thought I was crazy and they called me some very stupid bad names! Idiots.
Go to Top of Page

otis robb
Third Love

50 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2004 :  17:44:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah like myself, into a lot of good stuff. Still dont know of anyone who appreciates stuff like HAWKWIND THE CHURCH McCOY TYNER PHAROAH DEXTER GORDON JOE WILLIAMS ERNESTINE ANDERSON NNELON FRELON
ARGENT THEKINKS THE HOLLIES CARAVAN NEKTAR ELLA SARAH DUKE YUSEEF LATEEF ICEHOUSE WISHBONE ASH AHMAD JAMAL JIMMY SCOTT THE HEATH BROTHERS MANDRILL BRICK ROGER AND ZAPP MAZE MARVIN GAYE , should I just stop for now!!! Good music is good music. As for Jimmy Scott, many dont understand his phrasing(s) Yeah he can go behind the'beat' on the occassion, but thats hardly a non-pre-requisite for a solid performance. Look at Pharoah Sanders, he was one of the few who dared to 'redefine' the sax, and did so without provocation or compromise either!!!! Just look at all the trailblazers that went through ART BLAKEY and THE JAZZ MESSENGERS, such as HORACE SILVER!
I dont know if there are THAT MANY Jazz fans into ARthur Lee either Mary For reasons I wont go into either here (dont want to get the cruise missiles or the surface to air launches going- ha/ha)
My perspective is that i appreciate sharing music without flexing the ego. Its sad that it goes that way on many a discussion. We need some BY-Routes!!! Im into Shirley Horn Carmen McRae as well...till the next...
Go to Top of Page

jazzy mary
Third Love

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2004 :  18:03:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shirley Horn is amazing--have you seen her live? If you have a chance now---go!! She's not very well and has cancelled some concerts of late. I sa her a few months ago at a club in NYC and go to see ehr WHENEVER I can!
Go to Top of Page

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2004 :  18:13:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew and hung around with Hawkwind quite a bit in the early days Otis, Space Ritual and all that lol.
Go to Top of Page

jazzy mary
Third Love

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2004 :  18:15:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know who Hawkwind is.
Go to Top of Page

jazzy mary
Third Love

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2004 :  18:18:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Otis, just so I'm not misunderstood--what I was saying that it would NOT surprise me that AL fans would also like jazz because AL's music is so much more complex and deep than most music--just like jazz! So, I figure the folks who are hip enough to dig AL would dig jazz.
Go to Top of Page

otis robb
Third Love

50 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2004 :  18:31:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im relly enjoying this guys and gals, talking about HAWKWIND AND SHIRLEY HORN at one clip. Ive always said there needs to be atrue meeting of the minds. Mary as for Hawkwind, if a label needs to be affixed it would have to 'Sci-fi' I never got to see the early line with Nik Turner Dave Anderson or Dave Brock, let alone future Motorheadish, Lemmy. Though Imust say, okay get the muclear warheads out folks, I really enjoyed the version with ROBERT CALVERT, even when he came back in the late 70's and they became The Hawklords with the Deadly Assassins as the back-up. Look its settled, lets all petition to have one great show with ARTHUR LEE HAWKWIND SHIRLEY HORN JIMMY SCOTT THE STRANGLERS THE DAMNED THE CHURCH PHAROAH SANDERS MCCOY TYNER MANDRILL(did I leave out anybody ha/ha) on Mt Helens in Washington sometime in the near future...till the next...(seriously) peace to all...
Go to Top of Page

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2004 :  18:36:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised Otis, I thought Hawkwind, The Damned and The Stranglers were not too well known in the USA. I worked many times with all 3 of them especially The Stranglers, those were the days, Rattus and No More Heroes lol
Go to Top of Page

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2004 :  18:37:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a Brit living in NYC by the way Otis
Go to Top of Page

jazzy mary
Third Love

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2004 :  18:48:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, are you hip to Leon Thomas?
Go to Top of Page

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2004 :  19:27:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Mary cant say Ive had the pleasure, I like some jazz but I'm not very knowledgeable about it. I have an album by Herbie Hancock I'm rather fond of called Bubbles, kind of jazz funk.
Go to Top of Page

jazzy mary
Third Love

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2004 :  20:08:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you'd love Leon. I'm not familiar w/ that Herbie album. "Maiden Voyage" is more my speed.
Go to Top of Page

otis robb
Third Love

50 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2004 :  20:28:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry had to do some business, whaddya mean LEAVE the Forum HOW DARE YOU? Mama you dont understand! Well since the ice is breaking a little bit, and yours truly wants zero credit for it, before we go any further, to ghost Mr. Lee's You Can Save Up to 50%...(me) An interviewer, a music enthusiast, a white/Spanish looking brotha/
I wrote a non-rap sonota for my music class and Was told to forget that forget that, a white/Spanish Looking Brotha/if no one responds to what I say, then Ill resurrect the tulips of Tiny Tim...

(half of that is true, mostly the first part)
Responses: Larry, Hawkwind has ALWAYS had that cult following and appreciation. Also remember when Paul Grey, the one time bassist for the Dammed joined PHIL MOGG in UFO. Yeah I appreciated that version of UFO with no, as some have said, the ASIAN DUDE LED ATOMIK TOMMY McCLENDON one. Leon Thomas Is a kooldrude who has for the most part been a very underated vocalist/songwriter with the likes of the LEGENDARY PHAROAH nee FARRELL SANDERS aka Little Rock. His voicings were quite unique. Sadly he passed in 1999. Even his own led ensembles were more heralded overseas than over here! As posted before, if you can secure a copy of 'FACETS' The LEgend of Leon Thomas Anthology that was put out on Flying Dutchemn in 1975. The one time label of the great GIL-SCOTT HERON!!!
Jazzy M, have you which im sure you have, heard of DENISE JANNAH?
Just finished listening to her 1995 album 'I was Born in Love with You' which features some wonderful comps by BILLY STRAYHORN/DUKE ELLINGTON,COLE PORTER/T.MONK and a few originals by Denise (Aloen Never Lonely). In fact, on the cd, she looks like a very young SHIRLEY HORN. Yes Ive seen here recently, that was at the free ATLANTA JAZZ FESTIVAL in MAY (The Heath Brothers Appeared with Ahmad Jamal, Jimmy Scott and others) Yes I was aware of her health. She looked rather sickly at the concert! Have in my library her 2000 release as the SHIRLEY HORN TRIO, 'Youre My Thrill' and her 1989 one,'Close Enough For Love' that has tracks by Johnny Burke, Andy Razaf, Cole Porter, Bobby Troup's The Girl Cant Help It (fyi, the late great guitarist RONNO aka Mick Ronson, most known for his work with DAVID BOWIE AND IAN HUNTER, did a rather kool rave-up on his second solo lp, Play Dont Worry from 1975) and other renowned composers of the time. As you know Mary, Lots of this good stuff like Shirely hardly treks to these parts (various reasons), so Im fortunate to enable myself along with my wife to travel to St.Louis or Atlanta to see them live.(which doesnt get these people very ofter-various reasons once again)One good place in Atlanta is at Spivey Hall at the college there in Jonesboro, since they have a good jazz program. We have seen FREDDY COLE, the last living Cole left about 1 1/2 years ago there. Excellent show! I know I'll get hit over the head with a pair of old JEFF BECK tennis shoes, but his delievery and piano playing is a bit more dynamic than Nat's. (oh no how could you...) But that's not saying...fill in the blanks. Ive always said he's always had to carry on in the face of Nat's shadow which I believe has stalled the proper recogition given to him! Mary, as you previously stated that people in you class thought that your paper and music selection of Charlie Parker was between the 10th and the 11th (as I call it, but to simplify...weird) well I suppose im one of those 'stupidly happy' eccentrics who can talk about Hawkwind Freddy Cole Leon Thomas and everything else in one paragrah. Ah the king of the run-on sentences! Till the next...
Go to Top of Page

jazmaan
Fifth Love

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2004 :  02:50:22  Show Profile  Visit jazmaan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My cousin, Curtis Cave, was in Mandrill. He lives in Brooklyn.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page