Musical Family Tree for Arthur Lee/Love
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

otis robb
Third Love

50 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2004 :  21:28:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does one exist-poster wise? I know there is one for ALEX CHILTON/BIG STAR who by the way is also from Memphis too!
The point here is that BIG STAR recorded only 3 albums and man is their inluence wide spread, esp, (Ooops) on TEENAGE FANCLUB and hosts of others! I believe there influence is more RAPID than Arthur's for many many reason. A nice discussion on this would be appreciated who knows BIG STAR, by the way. The Fannies also recorded several tracks with ALEX and JODY (STephens- the drummist from BS) including the obscure Gary and the Olympics 'Party Girl' andmaterial by the Olympics. As for Love cover...'Between Hilldale and Clark' Ive seen them do it live and have a tape of them doing it.
Its fantastic. I thought the studio version was unique in its delivery, besides why should it 'sound' like the original, here we go again with the 'earmarking' controversy once mo'. Maybe the Fannies should do a cover of the Schanker -errored, I mean era'd 'Lights Out' for a UFO tribute disc. (Touche) Till the next...
TAlk

Ben
Third Love

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2004 :  22:51:16  Show Profile  Visit Ben's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know about poster wise, but Pete Frame's Love family tree appeared in issue 25 of Zigzag in 1972. It may have been reprinted in one of his books. Does this appear anywhere on this site already? If not I'd be happy to scan it. I also have the Love articles in Zigzag 10 & 11 from 1970.
Go to Top of Page

otis robb
Third Love

50 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2004 :  23:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zigzap would be nice...but Im thinking more of recent times. Mid to late 90's. Like when the Big Star Poster came out. There has been a lot mo' bands influenced by Arthur since that time. Anybody reading this who is in the businesss, take note....till the next.
Go to Top of Page

gordo
Third Love

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2004 :  14:00:29  Show Profile  Visit gordo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jody plays drums on Humblin' Across America" by an Australian/US band The Orange Humble Band , which also features Ken Stringfellow of the Posies who of course plays with Big Star

Alex, Jody along with Ken Strinfellow & Jon Auer of The Posies have recently been working on a new Big Star studio album which will be released on Rykodisk probably next year.

this is from www.kenstrinfellow.com
"Mar. 04 Continued with REM, was sad to leave but it was time to embark on another intense writing and recording exercise, this time with Big Star at Ardent studios in Memphis. We spent a week and a half there and then headed to the South By Southwest Music conf. in Austin TX. I have attended it a few times—as a panelist in 1993; with the Posies in 1996; with Saltine in 2000; as a solo artist in 2001. Always enjoyable, sure—but this time was an absolute triumph. The Posies blew the doors of a small club called Bigsby’s, Big Star filled the Austin Music Hall, and I played some emotional sets at the Lounge and an outdoor show put on by Yep Roc., who are releasing Soft Commands in North America. Already the home of the Minus 5, I met them—initially meeting Stephen J. in Austin, and then meeting the whole label in Chapel Hill/Carrboro—during the REM tour and have found them to be superb and ambitious and kind. Perfect. Rykodisc, the current home of the Posies and Big Star, are equally enthusiastic and positive people, and I have high hopes for both situations. "
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page