Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  17:13:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that DVD is so much all the rage these days that some people may well be tempted to reply to this (humorously, I hope)) with..... Gone With The Wind....or perhaps Battleship Potemkin! But I am sure that there must still be many other people who are keen movie goers. Two recent films that have made a special impression on me have been:

I Have Loved You So Long (France) - a deeply sensitive study of a woman who is trying to put her life back together following the aftermath of a personal tragedy. Only gradually do we come to appreciate why it is that she thinks and acts in the way she does.

The Wave (Germany) - a truly electrifying account of a unconventional teacher who is trying to get his young charges to appreciate the concept of dictatorship. Unfortunately, the point is made a little too well and before long, dangerous forces are let loose - and of course there is a powerful historical resonance.

Edited by - John9 on 12/11/2008 20:47:13

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  17:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good one, but I'm not much of a movie goer ! The last Movie I saw at a theatre was "Bucket List".
I enjoyed it. Hope some of you all are more out there than I..... visiting the movie houses, that is!!

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2008 :  03:10:23  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Took the kids to see 'Hellboy 2' in the summer which was good fun.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2008 :  04:17:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

Took the kids to see 'Hellboy 2' in the summer which was good fun.

I liked the first Hellboy. Great fun. I'll have to check out the second.

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2008 :  07:03:22  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wall-e. the E.T. Animated fantasy film. it is very good.

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2008 :  14:48:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some I recently viewed....Goya's Ghosts with Javier Bardem about what went on in the Spanish Inquisition, Jewel in the Crown..Britain in India..Tim Pigot Smith played such a "nice" Englishman over there....Lives of Others...a great film if you ask me about repression in East Germany.. Spellbound..Peck and Bergman and Dali's surrealistic artwork.....
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2008 :  00:10:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen a couple more in the last few days;

W ... Oliver Stone's contemporary biopic about the much loved president ...it was engaging, but nowhere near his best

Let's Talk About The Rain... a French existentialist tale about two aspiring (though thoroughly incompetent )documentary makers and a female would-be politician who hasn't a hope in hell of being elected. The threesome battle comically with the ultimate futility of ambition, purpose and forward planning.

Rocker - it is strange that you should have mantioned The Lives Of Others.....I bought a copy only yesterday on my way to see the French movie. I first saw it a couple of years ago and you're right - it is an absolute classic. I visited East Germany several times during the 1970's and 80's - and then returned to Berlin last year to see a city transformed.

Edited by - John9 on 20/11/2008 00:23:18
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2008 :  14:32:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me "The Lives of Others" was mesmerizing and I'm sure the city as you noted and it people have been transformed. But if you ask me I think the psychic scars will be with them for a long long time. Some real bad things were done.
I see you like French films...try "Army of Shadows"..Melville's film on the French Resistance...warning it's not your typical run'em shoot'em up type of film..just ordinary people doing what they believe they have to do under the circumstances.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2008 :  22:19:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

Some I recently viewed....Goya's Ghosts with Javier Bardem about what went on in the Spanish Inquisition, Jewel in the Crown..Britain in India..Tim Pigot Smith played such a "nice" Englishman over there....Lives of Others...a great film if you ask me about repression in East Germany.. Spellbound..Peck and Bergman and Dali's surrealistic artwork.....

I just love Dali's efforts & influence throughout Spellbound, rocker! A Hitchcock masterpiece.

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2008 :  10:33:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rocker - thanks for reminder about Army In The Shadows - I saw it on TV a long time ago - it definitely needs revisiting. Yesterday, I saw a newly released film about another 'army in the shadows'. It is entitled The Baader-Meinhoff Complex and is reputedly the most expensive German movie ever made. Directed by Uli Edel (who did Last Exit To Brooklyn)it seeks to debunk any notion that the movement was in any way idealistic. Rather, its members are portrayed as self-deluded and dehumanised killers who are driven from one atrocity to another by their their own perverse logic. Today I'm going to see a highly acclaimed French animation...Fear(s) Of The Dark. And tomorrow....well we have Arsenal coming to visit us. They are such dear friends.....it will be lovely to see them!

Edited by - John9 on 21/11/2008 10:43:02
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2008 :  19:02:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last film I saw The Dark Knight. Heath Ledger was just amazing.

Allan
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2008 :  21:59:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all....keep those films comin'...good to know about them so ic an followup..lk..more work!..

john9...you might be enjoying yourself tomorrow...could be a chance for you guys to jump on Wenger's boys..Gallas is giving him gray hair...you know how football is!..say hello to Didi on the pitch for me if you see'em!!....I'll see if I get the 'Pool game..not sure...I don't know..they might give me Torquay vs Rushden and Diamonds......that's ok for the lower level thrills and spills but I like to watch one of my favorite teams once in a while around here..
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  11:34:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi Rocker - thanks for your good wishes concerning the City V Arsenal game. As you probably know by now, we ran out winners 3-0 - with Didi coming on at the very end. Arsenal are certainly going through a difficult spell just at present - and their side bore very little resemblence to the one which won 3-1 at our place back in January. Hope you managed to catch the Liverpool game. Cheers.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2008 :  16:06:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well City sure was up for it! Wenger knew it had to hurt. 'Pool just couldn't find the net. I don't know maybe they were looking at Marseille for today. Hopefully they can break the net today and against the Hammers!
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2008 :  20:57:01  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Saw a beautiful film called 'The Fall' on the plane to Cuba,visually quite astounding. Well worth checking out

http://www.thefallthemovie.com/
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  20:29:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I saw Clint Eastwood's The Changeling this afternoon. It's an impressive movie whose themes share much in common with Eastwood's other directorial work...decent folks showing courage and fortitude in the face of unfairness and corruption...with natural justice eventually carrying the day. Anjelina Jolie, I thought was especially good.

Edited by - John9 on 02/12/2008 20:30:09
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page