Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 130

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  02:00:03  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Circus Maximus. got the CD today. 1967. Vanguard Records.
why the hell is this great album unknown?

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  06:25:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

Circus Maximus. got the CD today. 1967. Vanguard Records.
why the hell is this great album unknown?

Great music, bob! Jerry Jeff's first band!

Speaking of Great Artist's.... here is Fred Neil's "Dolphins".....the best! Early folk blues psych.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKjAlICPF8M

Edited by - lemonade kid on 08/11/2009 06:28:26
Go to Top of Page

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  00:24:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Circus Maximus LP is one of the most obscure, great records of the 1960s, and it's obvious which song is the best on the record
Although everyone assumes that's Jerry Jeff Walker in the center of the picture on the cover, it's actually the guy who wrote, sings and plays piano and guitar on Wind, Bob Bruno.
Bruno was a child prodigy on the piano and trumpet, and was playing professionally before his teens.
He then became a jazz upright bass player before taking up the guitar and forming CM with Jerry Jeff and the others in Texas.
They recorded two LPs before they broke up and went their separate ways. Bruno got screwed by the business and couldn't record because of contract issues. He rehearsed at the same studio as Jimi Hendrix and knew him quite well.
Bruno went back to jazz and became one of the best jazz pianists around. I've been corresponding with him for a few months, and I'll tell him about this board, and ask him if he knew Arthur.
I'll also post a link to his soundclick site.
Go to Top of Page

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  03:40:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's Bob Bruno's soundclick site:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=837257
There are links to his websites.
Go to Top of Page

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2009 :  00:10:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spoke to Bob Bruno and he remembers Love and liked FC, but he never met AL. He did meet and play on the same bill as the Seeds
Circus Maximus used to be the house band at The Electric Circus and The Seeds used to play there around the time of "Pushin' Too Hard".
He remembered the lead singer used to sing and dance around a lot like Jim Morrisson, and that they used two drummers.
Circus Maximus was originally called Lost Sea Dreamers (LSD).
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2009 :  22:00:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The Byrds - their reunion album on Asylum from 1973. Very far from their most groundbreaking work of the 60s........but an enjoyable listen nonetheless. Today it served as an excellent soundtrack as I drove up into the beautiful Derbyshire hills........I had inner peace.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2009 :  14:29:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
funny..I was looking at that one over the weekend to put on my wall in the den! Well I kind of went with "Turn Turn Turn"! (but I can chnage it if I want to..) I really like that record.
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  00:23:32  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sgt. Peppers....YAY!!!
the Parlophone(glossy gatefold) LP....STEREO. can't wait to have the mono cd and lp. but my vinyl stereo sounds good! it always transports me back to where words can't explain. hadda been there!

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  16:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sgt. Peppers....YAY!!!
the Parlophone(glossy gatefold) LP....STEREO. can't wait to have the mono cd and lp. but my vinyl stereo sounds good! it always transports me back to where words can't explain. hadda been there!

You have the Paralophone "Peppers"?! Nice. I have the mono Capitol vinyl.
Does the Paralophone "Peppers" have the endless loop at the end that keeps playing forever....the garbled words? The US vinyl does not, of course! First time I heard it was on my mono box, Peppers CD.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 17/11/2009 16:47:22
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  16:56:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Sgt Pepper 'inner groove' was in fact first heard in America on the Capitol Rarities album in about 1980...that was also the first time Capitol got round to releasing the minor classic from the Please, Please Me album....There's A Place.

"In my mind there's no sorrow"

Edited by - John9 on 17/11/2009 16:56:58
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  21:22:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ian Siegal's new album - Broadside (about to be Mojo magazines blues album of the year)
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  21:45:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

The Sgt Pepper 'inner groove' was in fact first heard in America on the Capitol Rarities album in about 1980...that was also the first time Capitol got round to releasing the minor classic from the Please, Please Me album....There's A Place.

"In my mind there's no sorrow"

Ya, that one goes way back for me, since that is on my VeeJay LP...I love than "minor masterpiece" too! Capitol did some mystifying things to the Beatles with song placement...guess they just had to keep trying to prove they knew better than the folks at Parlophone. They finally quit messing with the LP content with Peppers.

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2009 :  01:09:39  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i was just checking out my SGT. PEPPERS lp and noticed that my turntable is an auto -return , unable to play that repeating inner groove.
.....THEN.....I noticed that my album (after all this time!) has the same side/ song title label on both sides!
both labels say (side)2, and list the side 2 songs. but i have sides 1 and 2! I Thinks my label mis-print is valuable!

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2009 :  14:13:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bob.......lk is already on the plane man...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2009 :  17:35:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

i was just checking out my SGT. PEPPERS lp and noticed that my turntable is an auto -return , unable to play that repeating inner groove.
.....THEN.....I noticed that my album (after all this time!) has the same side/ song title label on both sides!
both labels say (side)2, and list the side 2 songs. but i have sides 1 and 2! I Thinks my label mis-print is valuable!

Funny you just noticed! It must happen occasionally at the plants. My original "Yellow Submarine" has the Side 2 label on both sides; and my Volunteers...same thing. I'm sure any mislabeling has some extra value--depends on the Artist, I guess. Your Peppers mislabel is probably at the top, over my Yellow Submarine. It's cool to have, isn't it?! It actually bugged me when I bought mine in '68...before "collecting" was even a thought. I almost returned it...I wanted a "perfect" copy!

It would be fun to compare collections--Bob & rocker...John9 and all! If anyone is interested in seeing some of my collection, go to Freed's board and go to JTK's Collection under "Take It As It Comes". I put digital pics up there of a few hundred of my treasures.

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page