Page: of 130

Alone Again
Fourth Love

Ireland
188 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2007 :  00:46:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by barbinberkeley

Gomez - Five Men in a Hut. A friend just turned me on to this group. I haven't had time to soak it in yet, but, so far, excellent! The singer sounds a little like Arthur Lee on some songs.

Gomez are a fantastic band ya should check out 'Bring It On' its a great album.
Go to Top of Page

barbinberkeley
Fourth Love

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2007 :  01:31:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How to be safe around music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMgAzefouTM
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2007 :  03:14:01  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
"something else"cd. the kinks. "love me till the sun shines". ahhh....the good old days....!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
547 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2007 :  00:06:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by astrolobe33

Some more Buffy Sainte-Marie (a kick I've been on lately) -- "Illuminations" and "She used to wanna be a Balerina"

So many people know Buffy Sainte Marie's music without realising it - Universal Soldier, Up Where We Belong etc. Her greatest hits, at least, should be a part of every self-respecting music fan's collection. Little Wheel Spin and Spin is one of my favourite albums of hers, but my overall fave track is "My Country 'Tis Of They People You're Dying" - what a message.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2007 :  14:42:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boombox
Buffy also did a fairly upbeat version of Joni Mitchell's 'The Circle Game'. I seem to remember that it was used over the opening and closing credits for a 1970 film set in the context of campus politics - the title escapes me for the moment but I think it was probably inspired by the Kent State, Ohio tragedy earlier that year. Oh yes and there was also 'Soldier Blue'. I can also remember Buffy doing a four song set in a BBC studio in 1971 - I was really impressed: "Cripple Creek......to see my girl"? - just a fragment of a line I seem to remember.

Edited by - John9 on 25/10/2007 14:43:22
Go to Top of Page

Alone Again
Fourth Love

Ireland
188 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2007 :  00:08:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Boombox
Buffy also did a fairly upbeat version of Joni Mitchell's 'The Circle Game'. I seem to remember that it was used over the opening and closing credits for a 1970 film set in the context of campus politics - the title escapes me for the moment but I think it was probably inspired by the Kent State, Ohio tragedy earlier that year. Oh yes and there was also 'Soldier Blue'. I can also remember Buffy doing a four song set in a BBC studio in 1971 - I was really impressed: "Cripple Creek......to see my girl"? - just a fragment of a line I seem to remember.

I think your talking about The Strawberry Statement. Its a good film with some great music.the last scene where the students are sittin and chanting Give Peace a Chance before being broken up by the police is fantastic.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIgaarWfhsI

Edited by - Alone Again on 26/10/2007 00:16:19
Go to Top of Page

barbinberkeley
Fourth Love

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2007 :  03:59:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Now that the Buffalo's Gone" is a great one, too. "Do you remember the time when you could hold your head high, and tell all your friends of your Indian name..."
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2007 :  10:38:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Yes that's it...'Strawberry Statement'...thanks for that. It also featured some CSNY songs. 'Now that the Buffalo's Gone' was another one that Buffy did in that BBC broadcast I mentioned. I think that the programme was called '4 in 10'..or something like that. Another in the same series featured Sandy Denny. That really was the great age of the singer songwriter...with James Taylor, Carole King, Neil Young and Joni Mitchell all coming up with some of their best work - somehow it all seemed to compensate for The Beatles having broken up - I wish I had a time machine!
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2007 :  14:12:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..and speaking of the Beatles and the "time machine" there's a book out now called "Can't Buy Me Love" which takes a look at why the Beatles were so big and influential when they appeared to the US and the world and got all those singer-writers going into their burst of creativity....looks to be pretty interesting.....
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2007 :  15:43:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right on Rocker - Someone once wrote that all philosophy is simply a footnote to Plato. I feel the same about popular music and The Beatles. In the early 1980's the 'Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock and Roll' claimed that there had hardly been any development in popular music that did not have some precedent on one or other of the Beatles' records. And, speaking of time machines here's a quiz question - which 1960s pyschedelic American group had a track called simply 'The Time Machine'on their debut album. Their second (and final) album is thought by some to be the true successor to 'Forever Changes'.

Edited by - John9 on 26/10/2007 16:06:15
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2007 :  21:16:24  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
h.p. lovecraft! yay!!! i win!!! i have that double c.d!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2007 :  00:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Got it in one Bob - best of luck with that double cd! Since posting the question I've been playing the 2005 compilation 'Dreams to The Witch House'(Rev-Ola) - it carries both albums as well as four non-album tracks. It is also superbly documented and illustrated. For anyone who is new to H.P. Lovecraft, the band's music probably lies somewhere between The Association and Love. The opening song from the second album 'Spin, Spin, Spin'has for me something of the timeless magic of 'Alone Again Or'.
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2007 :  01:11:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roy Harper - Stormcock (re-mastered)
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2007 :  00:18:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Got it in one Bob - best of luck with that double cd! Since posting the question I've been playing the 2005 compilation 'Dreams to The Witch House'(Rev-Ola) - it carries both albums as well as four non-album tracks. It is also superbly documented and illustrated. For anyone who is new to H.P. Lovecraft, the band's music probably lies somewhere between The Association and Love. The opening song from the second album 'Spin, Spin, Spin'has for me something of the timeless magic of 'Alone Again Or'.

You've prompted me to dig out my copy of that Rev-Ola cd John9, and I agree with your Love/Association assessment, at least insofar as H.P. Lovecraft's being "somewhere between" the two--they really have a pretty unique sound. I've enjoyed having it for the past couple years, but it's funny, long ago when I found a copy of one of their records in the used section, and I had the guy running the place play a bit of it for me, it turned me right off. I suppose, being the avid Howard Phillips Lovecraft reader I already was at the time, the music by this band using his name just wasn't er... eldritch enough, or something. Too soft and pretty. But they do have an edge here and there, and some cool arrangements and sounds.
Go to Top of Page

SignedRW
Fifth Love

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2007 :  01:03:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One listen to the H.P. Lovecraft "Live at the Fillmore" CD should
quickly dispel any notion of this band being too "soft and pretty."
Not that they couldn't do soft and pretty, and do it extremely well,
(amazingly great vocals) but this was a world class psychedelic rock band of their time. Both of their studio releases are excellent, but
this live thing is stunningly good and is highly recommended!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 130 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page