Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 130

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  22:57:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finding stuff like that in thrift stores is like finding buried treasure! I recently got Beatles for Sale, a two disc Doors compilation, Disreali Gears, and Neil Young Zuma for $30 and thought i did good.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9865 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  23:46:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markk

Finding stuff like that in thrift stores is like finding buried treasure! I recently got Beatles for Sale, a two disc Doors compilation, Disreali Gears, and Neil Young Zuma for $30 and thought i did good.

You did good!

while I sing this song.
But if one day you should see me from your cloud
lend a hand and lift me
Away from the crowd.
Go to Top of Page

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  17:54:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Record exchange on Washington Street in Salem did check my id when I sold them about eighty dollars owrth to them of stuff last fall.In this day and age of inumerable drug related small thefts,probably most if not all of them do the same.By the way,it wasn't Salvation Army where I got "Days of Future Passed",it was another similar outfit called St. Vincent DePaul.I sometimes check out the one in Market Square Lynn,but I think they have other locales all over.I have seen some definite patterns regarding their stocks.Between the two,lots and lots of "Passed",Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours",half decent old film soundtracks including the wonderful "Saturday Night Fever",and "Frampton Comes Alive",which I purchased for two dollars because they do charge another buck for two disc sets.Still not bad.Sometimes they also have those '40's collection of discs in the old "book" style,which was the original conception of the "album".Back in the eighties,I bought several Herb Alpert lp's when the thrifts were pawning these for 50cents.Apparently back in the seventies and maybe as far as the early eighties,some were even finding "Yesterday...and Today" butcher covers there!Of course,not anymore since it has becoming tremendous common knowledge as to their value,but you can find many pleasant surprises.On Mass Ave in Cambridge,there at least USED to be Looney Tunes,Cheapo Records,and a REALLY fascinating shop called Second Coming Records,which specialized in bootlegs,counterfeits,etc..In 1989 I bought a Beatles bootleg that featured one of the alternate takes of "Strawberry Fields",which was probably much more intriguing in the days before "Anthology" introduced millions to several unused versions of Beatle classics.And them specializing in bootlegs,their Grateful Dead section was as long as the frigen Mass Pike!!This and the other stores might still be there.Check it out.

Edited by - captain america and billy on 07/06/2011 17:54:43
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9865 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  18:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How were the winds in Boston after the Springfield tornado, capt'?

I've driven the Mass Pike too many times to remember, from family in the midwest to home in Maine. No tornadoes I can remember in Maine...just micro-bursts & "mild" hurricanes.

Another in the long list of storm tragedies this spring!!

while I sing this song.
lend a hand and lift me
Away from the crowd.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 07/06/2011 18:16:13
Go to Top of Page

Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  19:46:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After the storms struck in the middle part of the state in Springfield and Westfield,they continued to blow mostly south of here. The worst we had were a few thunder and lighning showers.Massachusetts usually on has about four or five tornadoes a year and its very rare any truly sizeably ones hit here right at the coast or communities not far away.Our biggest concern here weather wise,like Maine,are winter snow blizzards and ice storms.Even most hurricanes that reach here are downgraded by the weather service to tropical storms by the time they hit.Then of course,much of Maine is almost ompletely spared as they tend to start drifting out to sea right after.Some rather fortunate geography,I guess.
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  22:03:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love live..from Liverpool in 2003
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9865 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  22:19:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Family Name...Peter Bradley Adams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifxt3U6yQKo

while I sing this song.
lend a hand and lift me
Away from the crowd.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9865 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  20:27:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JACK BRUCE & ROBIN TROWER & Gary Husband
Seven Moons/Tour

Jack & Robin from two of the most storied bands in the history of rock.
Their fantastic "Seven Moons" album of 2007 has kept them touring just about non-stop. Great GREAT stuff. Jack still has that scruffy Scottish red hair. Robin looks like someone's sweet 'ol grandpa....how does he still get that sound?!!!

Lives Of Clay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN_RiY2-suc&feature=related

Gone Too Far
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSJRVeob2EI&feature=related

Politician
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t25E9tDzLF4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd3c01T_GRc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWkkpK_KnVw

Blues-rock legends Jack Bruce, bassist for the ground-breaking 1960s-era band Cream, and guitarist Robin Trower, a long-ago member of British rockers Procol Harum and a successful solo artist, have teamed up once again to release their first live CD and DVD together.

Seven Moons Live was filmed in February 2009 in front of a raucous, enthusiastic audience in Nijmegen, Holland. The fourteen-song performance features eight songs from the pair's 2008 studio album, Seven Moons, as well as new versions of three classic Cream songs.
Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Inductee

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee Jack Bruce (with Cream) has over four decades of experience playing nearly every style of music imaginable, from earthy British blues with John Mayall and Alexis Korner to blues-rock with Cream and West, Bruce & Laing; from jazz and jazz-fusion with Tony Williams Lifetime and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra; to pop with Manfred Mann and Donovan.

Bruce has also enjoyed a significant solo career, and through the years his Jack Bruce & Friends band can boast of members like former Jimi Hendrix Experience drummer Mitch Mitchell, jazz-fusion percussionist Billy Cobham, jazz guitarist Larry Coryell, and former Humble Pie fretburner Clem Clempson. In other words, the man has mad skills and everybody who is anybody has chosen to play with him.
Blues-Rock Guitar Legend

The blues-rock guitar legend Robin Trower needs no introduction. He first came to prominence during the early-1960s with the British R&B band the Paramounts. When his former Paramounts bandmate Gary Brooker needed musicians to round out the Procol Harum line-up, he called Trower, who would subsequently record five smash hit albums with the band between 1967 and 1972, before leaving to launch his solo career.

During the 1970s, Trower recorded ground-breaking and acclaimed psychedelic blues-rock albums like Bridge of Sighs and Long Misty Days, and In City Dreams, all of which would hit the Billboard magazine Top 40 album chart. During the 1980s, Trower largely dropped the Jimi Hendrix-inspired psychedelic edge to his music and turned his skills towards even more of a bluesy sound, and in the decades since has become one of the blues-rock genre's favorite instrumentalists. Trower released What Lies Beneath, his latest album and the first on which he takes up the microphone, in early 2009.
Jack Bruce & Robin Trower's Seven Moons Live

The show starts with the DVD's namesake, "Seven Moons" opening with a brief guitar intro reminiscent of Hendrix's "Little Wing." The band falls into a power trio groove quite easily - Trower has been the base of such musical pyramids most of his decades-long career - and Bruce's voice is still a hearty, warm instrument. The deep groove of "Lives Of Clay" could pass for a long-lost Cream song, Bruce's vocals, the song's odd rhythm, and the heady bassline taking the listener back to 1968. Trower is a much different sort of guitarist than Clapton, tho', with a rich tone that tends to cut to the heart of the matter, whether through his stinging solos or with a monster riff.

"She's Not The One," one of the bonus tracks not included on the accompanying CD, is a houserockin', up-tempo Chicago-blues-via-old-London styled barn-burner. While Trower scrapes and tears at the strings, achieving vibrations sounding not unlike his early-70s work, Bruce's jackhammer bass notes pounce from your speakers and grab you by the ears.
Tripping Back In Time

When Bruce and Trower do take a trip back in time some forty years to revisit the Cream catalog, the results are predictably impressive. Beneath Bruce's familiar bass riff, Trower embroiders a raw, tough-as-nails solo on "Sunshine Of Your Love." Fingers low on the fretboard, the guitarist's instrument screams like a bird of prey descending on the unsuspecting audience. The song's big finish, with an extended instrumental crescendo, leaves the crowd speechless before they erupt into applause.

If the Bruce/Trower take on "Sunshine Of Your Love" was stunning, the band's cover of Cream's "White Room" is beyond adjectives. Bruce's well-worn bass riff and familiar vocals are complimented by the song's majestic soundtrack. Although Trower plays by the Clapton blueprint for much of the song, when he cuts loose with his cosmic solo, he takes ol' Slowhand's original outline into the stratosphere, bending strings and tearing off notes as if he's experiencing a dervish-like trance. Backed by Bruce's raging four strings and Husband's sledgehammer drumbeats, the guitarist transcends the song's classic rock roots and transforms it into something truly magical.
The Reverend's Bottom Line

The interplay between Trower's stinging leads and Bruce's ever-present bass tones is nearly seamless, the two musicians appearing, for all intents and purposes, like they've been performing alongside each other for years. Drummer Gary Husband is a solid timekeeper, seldom flashing or jumping over-the-top, but always apparent in the mix, complimenting the stringplay of the two superstar frontmen.

When Jack Bruce apologizes at the end of the show, saying "us old guys, we get it right eventually," it's perceived as a moment of levity by the audience...after all, these guys have seldom gotten it wrong, and what they accomplish with these fourteen songs is a brilliant fusion of electric blues and hard rock, delivering a breathtaking showcase of instrumental virtuosity that will entertain any viewer that enjoys guitar-driven blues-rock performances. (Ruf Records, released October 13, 2009) -Rev Keith A. Gordon

while I sing this song.
lend a hand and lift me
Away from the crowd.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 10/06/2011 20:35:25
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  14:21:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i used to Play Robin Trower alot...."FOR EARTH BELOW" and "LIVE" being my vfaves..Jack Bruce a legend..enough said.
i REMEMBER HAVING A pROCUL hAREM ALBUM "sOMETHING mAGIC" on tape...allways loved thier track CONQUISTIDOR..and if it,s spelt wrong..weell it,s a hung-over Sunday morning,
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  14:00:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
allan..if you like Procul I'd suggest picking up their "Union Station" Live on dvd..pretty good...I'm always playing it...
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  15:09:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CHEES rOCKER..I,LL CHECK IT OUT.
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  14:46:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THE CLASH .1st.album from 1977..
Go to Top of Page

Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  17:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gonna throw this one out there.Especially for you,LK.Ever hear of soft rock/medium pop outfit from Chocago in the sixties called New Colony Six?Some really good stuff.Their two big hits "I Will Always Think About You" and "Things I'd Like to Say"are supremely lovely ballads.I have them both on their album "Revelations" from '68 or '69.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9865 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  19:26:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by captain america and billy

Gonna throw this one out there.Especially for you,LK.Ever hear of soft rock/medium pop outfit from Chocago in the sixties called New Colony Six?Some really good stuff.Their two big hits "I Will Always Think About You" and "Things I'd Like to Say"are supremely lovely ballads.I have them both on their album "Revelations" from '68 or '69.

Yep, great band.

Her is another great 60's Chicago band you will like...
Cryan' Shames

Sailing Ship from their 1967 "A Scratch In The Sky" LP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxoKNOV-NZ4

It Could Be We're In Love...brilliant song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOj8c2Kd1hU&feature=related

If I Needed Someone...a great cover
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puaNTa155wE&feature=related
I saw them live and they did some Beatles covers that were ideal for their sound...a great Fool On The Hill that they never recorded.

In The Cafe...etherial great tune
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuH4gnerUHc&feature=related

And the AMAZING psych pop of "CAROL FOR LORELEI"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO5mnNPhiRo&feature=related

while I sing this song.
lend a hand and lift me
Away from the crowd.
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  18:14:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
William Boroughs..."Dead City Radio" Big Bill reads excerts amd poetry from his work alonside Music.
Different..and Great!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 130 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page