Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  12:01:01  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any other fans on here? Got 'Strawberries mean love' for xmas and think its fantastic. alot better than i'd expected....'Small package' is one of the best psyche songs i think ive heard.

Also got parts 1 and 2 of the psyychedelic pstones collection. They both have some real gems on them. Anyone on here have parts 3 and 4?

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  16:15:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kula John...I was given a $50 gift certificate to Amazon, and of course, I want to buy music with it. Which Strawberry Alarm Clock CD do you think is the best one? Based on your reply, I will buy it.

Actually, what else would you recommend in Psychedelic?

Thanks and Happy New Year

Allan
Go to Top of Page

steve64
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  16:37:06  Show Profile  Visit steve64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have the 'Strawberries Mean Love' album on vinyl and it is a great album Strawberry Alarm Clock are in the Classic Russ Meyer movie 'Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls'

hey ho! lets go!
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  17:55:49  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Allan

Kula John...I was given a $50 gift certificate to Amazon, and of course, I want to buy music with it. Which Strawberry Alarm Clock CD do you think is the best one? Based on your reply, I will buy it.

Actually, what else would you recommend in Psychedelic?

Thanks and Happy New Year

Allan

well allan i only have the one SAB album, which is 'strawberries mean love' which i think is a 'best of' album so i can only really recommend that one!! Its got 21 tracks on it so is well worth the money and i guess its a good place to start.

Ive only been buying psychedelic albums for 2-3 years so don't have a huge catalogue. But i'd recommend,

- United states of America, United states of America
- kaleidoscope - dive into yesterday
- peculiar hole in the sky - pop psyche from down under
- the Amboy Dukes - loaded for bear, the best of ted nugent = amboy dukes
- hot smoke and sassafras - psychedelic pstones vol.1
- haunted - psychedelic pstones vol.2

hope this helps

happy new year to you too

john

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  20:45:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John

Thanks so much for your reply. Looks like 'Strawberries Mean Love' is on my list

I have the United States of America on vinyl. I love it.

I also have an album by the Bubble Puppy called 'A Gathering of Promises'. They had a top 10 hit from one of the songs here in the U.S. back in the day called..."Hot Smoke and Sassafras". Imagine that

My Amboy Dukes are 'Journey to the Center of the Mind', 'Migration', and 'Marriage on the Rocks'. I'll bet many tracks on 'Loaded for Bear' are from those 3 LP's

I'll look up pstones vol 1 and 2 and see if I can get a sampling.

Time to go shopping-Thanks again

Allan
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  21:32:11  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just to let you know allan if you decide to get strawberries mean love make sure you pick up a copy that has the bonus tracks, there are 8 bonus tracks i think so its well worth it!

enjoy!

john

Go to Top of Page

steve64
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  21:33:36  Show Profile  Visit steve64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bubble Puppy were from Texas and on International Artists label which was the label 13th Floor Elevators and Golden Dawn were on

2 great Psychedelic albums

13th Floor Elevators - the Psychedelic Sounds Of

13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere

Roky Erickson from 13th Floor Elevators has been gigging again recently too with another one of his bands 'The Explosives' http://www.rokyerickson.net

13th Floor Elevators

hey ho! lets go!

Edited by - steve64 on 03/01/2006 21:46:03
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2006 :  00:24:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve64...you're right on!! A couple posts below this one is one called 'Psychedelic Bands'. It's full of great info. Astrolobe33 endorsed 'The Elevators' so much, I went out and got Psychedelic Sounds and Easter Everywhere on CD. They are fantastic and I listen to them both regularly. Astrolobe even sent me the words to 'Slip inside this house' in e-mail.

I agree 'big time' with you Steve64

Allan
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2006 :  01:07:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i just got the best of traffic and soft machine vol 1 and 2, great psychedelia..love strawberry alarm clock, have incense and peppemints on vinyl..but my player is broke
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2006 :  16:58:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SML is an excellent taster for the band - you get most of the first album and bits from the three albums which followed. Of course, there are individual tracks missing, but 21 tracks is a lot of the best stuff.!!!

Good to see the Softs mentioned in the thread - before they went all jazz-rock (not that it was too bad). I have the first three Pstones albums - highly recommended samplers.

allan, email me and I will send you a list I did for a guy who was asking the same thing.

And as for Roky still touring, I just got a recording of him and the Explosives live at the ACL doing a variety of Elevators and Aliens stuff. He's still going strong!!
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2006 :  21:33:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
boombox-I sent you an e-mail through this web site. If you don't receive it, let me know

Allan
Go to Top of Page

Arnstein
Fifth Love

Norway
340 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  16:12:38  Show Profile  Click to see Arnstein's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

John
I have the United States of America on vinyl.

I have to admit that I really misunderstood that sentence first!
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  16:35:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arnstein

Forgive me. The United States of America was the name of a group that cut an LP. They were the first electronic-type music that I ever heard, and at the time, it fell into the category of Psychedelia for me

Allan
Go to Top of Page

Arnstein
Fifth Love

Norway
340 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  17:00:53  Show Profile  Click to see Arnstein's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Arnstein

Forgive me. The United States of America was the name of a group that cut an LP. They were the first electronic-type music that I ever heard, and at the time, it fell into the category of Psychedelia for me

Allan

Hehe, its OK! After reading it a few times I understood it

Go to Top of Page

jazmaan
Fifth Love

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2006 :  05:59:23  Show Profile  Visit jazmaan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was surprised to hear "Barefoot in Baltimore" by the SAC played on one of my vintage 60's Top 40 airchecks. The DJ announced it as a "Hitbound" but I'm sure it never actually made the Top 40.
Go to Top of Page

jazmaan
Fifth Love

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2006 :  06:01:48  Show Profile  Visit jazmaan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was very close to Joseph Byrd of the USA during the late 60's/early 70's. I do have some stories to tell if you're interested!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page