New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tmittelstadt
Third Love

63 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  04:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always liked the song Emotions.

I always thought it was interesting that Reverb Central(the surf music authority) gave Emotions a 5 star rating!

Here's the review:

"Love S/T
Label: Elektra 74001-2 CD

Before he was in Love, Arthur Lee had an instro band not unlike a cross between Booker T. & the MG's and a surf band, called Arthur Lee and the LAG's (as in Los Angeles Group a la Memphis Group). The carryover tune is his gorgeous "Emotions". I have no idea if there were other instros then, but this track is absolutely beautiful. Love were one of Southern California's most talented bands of the sixties era.

Picks: Emotions

Emotions"

This is one beautiful instro. The pace is measured and precise, the melody is splendid, the playing is pristine, and the band is magnificent. The lead guitar shimmers with vibrato over a really strong stereo backtrack, with the rhythm guitar also in vibrato. The two guitars pulse against each other during the intense breaks, and generally support each other splendidly. One great track.
Surf Instrumental Stereo"

It can be found at http://www.reverbcentral.com/

Tom

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  07:33:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always loved that track. Great low-key surf psych. Very cinematic sounding too, like the theme song to a lysergic sixties beach (mis)adventure, with Arthurly in the role of Frankie Avalon

Michael Young
Go to Top of Page

johnnylovejoy
Second Love

38 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  00:19:49  Show Profile  Visit johnnylovejoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank's for the kind words concerning "Emotions" It was the very first song I ever wrote. I was about twelve years old at the time, so it holds a special place for me! Arthurs name was included (as co- writer) by ["Mistake"?] according to the folks at Elektra: Though I was paid roylties as the sole writer, they never changed the credits!
Anyway thank you again for the kind words and also for the great review that was included with the posting!

:Johnny Echols

Ps: That's Arthur playing the drums, on the album, also Elektra changed the name from [Search for the "Perfect Wave" to "Emotions"]

Edited by - johnnylovejoy on 12/11/2005 08:25:29
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  03:19:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Johnny,
That is fantastic! You wrote the song "Emotions" when you were just a little kid! That's too cool... You know, that one really was one of the main ones to grab me when I first listened to that album as a teenage kid, over 20 years ago. The sound really is phenomenal, with that shivery shadowy vibrato overtop of Snoopy's (..that is Snoopy?) excellent high-steppin march on drums. Wow, 12.
Happy returns, Jon

...later...
quote:
Originally posted by johnnylovejoy

Ps: That's Arthur playing the drums, on the album, also Elektra changed the name from [Search for the "Perfect Wave" to "Emotions"]

Aha... I kinda half suspected it might've been Arthur!
Jon

Edited by - astrolobe33 on 16/11/2005 21:13:49
Go to Top of Page

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  08:46:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great to hear from you about the song's history, Johnny. Very interesting to learn about Elektra's manipulation of the song credits and even the Name of the Song! A brilliant track (from the mind of a twelve year old, no less.) Glad I finally got to see you in san francisco on the last tour. Your playing and your poise were truly inspiring.

Michael Young
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page