mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  15:19:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Uncut just dropped through my letter box:

Love leader's lost
Arthur Lee is sacked from his own band for being "too spannered"

Love have sacked their leader, frontman and founder member Arthur Lee. Defending this extraordinary decision, the musicians claim that Lee had become a liability, and that fan support has encouraged them to carry on as The Love Band.

Lee, chief architect of the band's 1967 psychedelic masterpiece Forever Changes, is accused by the band of a serious loss of motivation. Lee has not yet responded to Love's official statement, which alleges a "steady decline" in his mental and physical health. The statement does pay tribute to an "awesome talent" and an "amazing performer", backing up the sentiments of lead guitarist Mike Randle that when Lee left prison in December 2001- having served almost half of a 12 year sentence for a firearms violation - he was a"wonderful loving man".

Manager Glenn Povey, who has also dropped Lee as a client, says the problems began last year with dates in Portugal and Spain. Lee was "just too spannered" to get on a plane, Povey says and missed a gig in Portugal.

"Then in Spain," says Povey, "he wasn't playing his guitar, he wasn't singing and he was rambling between songs. Love were playing to something like 10,000 people and there were 500 left by the end of the show. It was pathetic, just dreadful. The crunch came prior to our UK tour this July. We had two warm-up shows in San Francisco, and Arthur was again just sitting onstage doing nothing. He was in a dreadful mess. To see that deterioration is heartbreaking. He was clearly not coming back to Planet Earth."

Lee ducked out of the British dates at the last minute, and Love carried on without him, obliged to offer discounts and refunds at every venue.

Mike Randle tells Uncut he believes the rot set in when Love started work in the studio last year on new material. "The stuff that Arthur was coming up with stunk. S-T-U-N-K. He would say 'This is better than Forever Changes.' I'd say, 'Man, you're ****ing crazy."

Randle continues: "Anywhere there's peace and happiness, it's not cool with him [Arthur]. Misery loves company. That should be a T-shirt with his picture on it."

The Love Band are working on new material which they hope to release early next year, with American, European and UK dates to follow.

Arthur Lee is reportedly opening a club in LA, and was unavailable for comment as Uncut went to press.

Large fairly recent picture of Arthur above the article: Brother Lee Love: the cosmic cowboy has been fired from his own band.
The Love Band picture bottom left.

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  15:21:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't realise the message board asterisks the f word

It's printed without asterisks in the article.
Go to Top of Page

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  21:47:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting article, mikeb, thanks for posting it.

I'm assuming they ran the pic of TLB with JE in it, but it's curious that they make no mention of him in the article especially since they refer to MR as "lead guitarist"

LOVE and peace

Edited by - ladylove on 03/10/2005 21:51:43
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  22:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by finelyfree

Very interesting article, mikeb, thanks for posting it.

I'm assuming they ran the pic of TLB with JE in it, but it's curious that they make no mention of him in the article especially since they refer to MR as "lead guitarist"

LOVE and peace

Strange.
But, now that they don't have AL to weigh them down
and writing stinking songs, the new LB will surely come up
with a masterpiece.
I will be the first to buy.
Go to Top of Page

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  22:34:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish I could share your enthusiasm, waxburn, but without AL or JE, TLB is Baby Lemonade (not a hugely successful group) Since there has been no recent reference to any recording with JE, I wonder what's going on

Only time will tell
Go to Top of Page

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  08:21:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always disliked the name "BABY LEMONADE" but I've always liked the people and musicianship. I even have one of the CD's from years ago with STEPHANIE on it.
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  11:40:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Love Band picture was captioned The Post Arthur Lee Love Band(Johnny Echols praying, Mike Randle second from right)

As they identify Johnny in the picture caption there may well have been mention of him, or a quote from him, in the original text that got edited out. It's a pity that the fact he was a founder member of Love, and indeed the fact that he goes way back with Arthur to his childhood, was not highlighted.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  14:10:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well...you can bet MR and "manager" Glenn Povey lobbied hard to get that in print. Sadly trying to drum up interest in something that is SOO Minor...SOO small in the scope of things. they are are not the first band to be left at the curb with no gigs. AL has shown the greater grace by keeping his mouth shut and not slagging anyone off, first the "diaries". and now in print. Nice one boys.
Just when things were getting interesting what with JE's stories and all. From the quotes in the magazine methinks MR wants to be important. With the world now waiting with bated breath and having gotten rid of that deteriorated old stinky songwriter AL, MR and BL (a fine name) can get on with it

Where is the LOVE?
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  15:45:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyboy

I've always disliked the name "BABY LEMONADE" but I've always liked the people and musicianship.

But it is the name of a cool Syd Barrett song.
Rain falls in grey far away...
Jon
Go to Top of Page

Cardiff Anne
First Love

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  19:44:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The Love Band are working on new material which they hope to release early next year, with American, European and UK dates to follow.

Arthur Lee is reportedly opening a club in LA, and was unavailable for comment as Uncut went to press".

This all sounds very positive-look forward to hearing more about both.
Go to Top of Page

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  20:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They say TLB are working on new material, but nobody in TLB is saying that. This was obviously based on old information, since we all know that AL is moving to Memphis, not opening up a club in L.A.

I hold nothing against MR and BL...any publicity is good publicity. Now it's becoming plainer than ever that the only way we are ever going to see LOVE together again is if JE and AL reunite.

The old saying "no news is good news" doesn't seem to apply here. No news may mean that JE is reconsidering his decision to join forces with BL to form TLB.

Go to Top of Page

johnnylovejoy
Second Love

38 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  05:28:44  Show Profile  Visit johnnylovejoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Iv'e spoken with my brother Arthur, many many times since the "problem's" surfaced. In "His" words "Echols," I'm just not happy with these dudes, they're too young, we have nothing in common! They go their way, I go mine. On the tour bus, they sit up front and I stay in the back, by myself! The reason I wanted (You) back so badly, not only because you can play your "ass" off, but to have somebody I could relate too, "Wev'e got History, We started this thing!" But when (You) came back, the more "gig's" we played, the more I was reminded of how it was, when we, (the original group) were all together, and that just tripped me out! So now,I think It's time to go home, too Memphis, be around family, get My edge back!

Don't trip, it's all good__ we'll put this thing back together, better than ever, but right now it's time to re-group, and get Our head's together!

This is on a personal note: I know there has been a lot of "controversy" as of late, especially on this board. So let me say it straight-out, if any one had written lie's or un-truth's about my brother in the form of "diaries" or any other medium, I would have been all over them__ nuff-said "Please let it rest!"

I would like to express my sincere gratitude, too Torben Skott for all of his "tireless" work, keeping this board together,(at his own expense!) And all of the many supporters, who have stuck with us through thick and thicker! especially J or "finelyfree"!

I must also give Baby Lemonaide their "prop's," they are "fantastic musicians" and the world will be hearing from them Very soon! They have a lot of fine music to offer; and I'm looking forward, too everyone hearing how truly great they are!

Hell this sounds like a farewell address, far from-it, this "Ship" will sail again!

Since there won't be any gig's, too discuss for a while! Every one here could show my brother's Arthur, Bryan, Kenny and Mike their gratitude,for the "timeless" music they have provided, by innundating the "Power's that be," at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ;with hundred's of emails, demanding "LOVE's induction! It's way over due!

If You show the same passion, and commitment you've shown on this board,[left]
[/left] "LOVE's" induction will be a snap!

My name: Is Johnny Echols and I approved this message!

Edited by - johnnylovejoy on 05/10/2005 12:46:26
Go to Top of Page

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  05:53:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe the reason Arthur hasn't responded to Randle's charges is because they are,in fact,TRUE!!!
Nice to hear what Johnny had to say but I'm slightly bothered by his 3 references to Love Band as
"they",not "we" or "us"...
Go to Top of Page

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  06:17:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Johnny, thanx for clearing things up for everyone and for the shout-out What can we do to facilitate LOVE's induction to the R&R Hall of Fame? I'm sure TPTB will be so flooded with demands they'll have to give you guys serious consideration!!!

jimmyboy, sometimes the loudest words are those that are unspoken JE's 'references' speak volumes.

It's going to be a great 2006. In the meantime, I'm enjoying these stories Johnny is sharing.

LOVE and peace

Edited by - ladylove on 05/10/2005 06:39:46
Go to Top of Page

Judith
Third Love

United Kingdom
93 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  11:35:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great to hear from you Johnny and thanks for setting the record straight. I'm so pleased the ship will sail again, you'll have lots of passenger's.
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  16:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Johnny

It's great to hear from you. Thank You for adding some creedence on what many of us have been trying to say for some time now.

There have been a few new members here lately that have been trying to alienate this message board by saying "You're either for Arthur or not for Arthur". As you know, most of the original members here never felt that way. We were and are for LOVE. All of us have the utmost respect for Arthur the singer-songwriter, but most of us question Arthur the person. Unfortunately, the 'vibe' has caused many of the former members to no longer post here.

I for one said quite a while ago that if there were 'untruths' or exagerations on what has been said in the diaries or whatever, that YOU would have been all over them. I know you've been walking a tight-rope, and I also know that YOU would say it like it is.

Here's hoping that your post brings back the 'good vibrations' that were once here.

Allan

Edited by - Allan on 05/10/2005 18:19:42
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page