Analyzing Arthur, BL and the Big Break-up
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigrubberglove
Fourth Love

188 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2005 :  18:04:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a context that led to the bad things Mike said and the band's decision to cut Arthur out. You need to look at that. Arthur's side hasn't of the story hasn't been given a full airing but what can you say to compensate for the ongoing verbal abuse of band mates, the Spain show, the S.F. show and the refusal to play the latest UK tour? He was rapidly destroying the band, his reputation and the band's future. Something had to give and clearly Arthur was not willing to play sober or call it a day with Baby Lemonade, which ultimately put the ball in Baby Lemonade's court and they did what I think was the only logical thing - sad as it was.

HOWEVER, just as Baby Lemonade showed great patience up to now, I think they are making a mistake in carrying on as the Love Band. In my heart of hearts I can't take accept them as Love without Arthur Lee in the group. And I believe it to be true that if Arthur gets a competent backing band that he will easily outdraw the Love Band (even though they almost certainly will not be as good as with Baby Lemonade).

Daveylee asked on another thread: "Frankly, over the last few years I've wondered how such a talented band as Baby Lemonade could gain much satisfaction from burying their own creativity and instead playing, over and over again, the same very limited catalogue of songs, however great these were." I don't know but it is possible that the Love shows simply brought it more money.

Right or not, even if that is the case, to me it is very apparent that they should play on as Baby Lemonade and have Johnny as part of the band. They should do their own material and some Love songs to boot if they want but they should not appropriate the Love name even though they have played these songs as well as ANYONE could.

I would rather see them develop their own identity instead of fulfilling one that has been suggested. If you carry the word Love in your name you consciously or not will write with an ear to Love's sound and distinctive sonic hallmarks. But without Arthur's irreplacable voice and presence it just ain't the same. Baby Lemonade has a future. They are a bunch of young guys with a great indie sounds and some solid albums. They already picked up thousands of fans as Love and now could draw from two fan bases.

Regardless of how this all plays out I truly hope that both Arthur and the Baby Lemonade guys find success with whatever paths they choose.

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2005 :  20:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I once heard on the radio that AL has Parkinson's.
Maybe that accounts for something.
Go to Top of Page

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2005 :  22:52:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BRG - Very well said.

But...why would Johnny want to continue with Baby Lemonade and not include the name Love in some context?? I think that's the reason for choosing The Love Band name, so they can continue to play as they did when AL was there. As you so honestly said, it will simply bring in more money. Baby Lemonade with Johnny Echols wouldn't do that. It's obvious they still want to capitalize on the Love connection with JE involved.

In my heart of hearts, I look for JE and AL to reunite with a new band

Go to Top of Page

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2005 :  11:11:12  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Or...
because they plan 'keep on playing those songs' to keep the heritage of AL's music going. Since he's keen on moving on. imho it was the music that held the whole thing together over the last few years.

have we been here before?

yes

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page