Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  16:45:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saturday before last I had the unbelievable good fortune to witness the comeback of the one and only Roky f-in' Erickson!!!
This was the first full length set he'd done in about 15 years, backed by one of his old bands, the Explosives, at this year's Austin City Limits Music Festival in Austin, Texas. He sounded great, though not as full of the fire he once carried, and he looked fantastic, better than he has in 30 years! Thirteen timeless tunes from the Master!! He was smiling alot and having fun. I think he's back. I got to shake his hand and have him sign a couple things afterward. It was definitely one of the highest points of my music-diggin' carreer!
Makes me feel a little better about never yet seeing A. Lee.
Rok On
Jon
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2005 :  12:38:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw The Zombies last night, 50% Zombies material and 25% Colin Bluntstone and 25% Argent material including crowd pleasers Hold Your Head Up and God Gave Rock and Roll to You. I checked some of the reports on this board about the tour they did with Love, I think if I had seen Love first I would not have appreciated The Zombies as much as I did last night, it's a different style particularly as it was Colin Blunstone's vocals I was particularly impressed with. Seeing him live makes you realise what a fine vocalist he is and can cover different sorts of material, outstanding versions of the Solomon Burke song Can't Nobody Love You from The Zombies first album which has just been introduced to the set, Tim Hardin's Misty Roses, Rose for Emily and Say You Don't Mind.
Rod Argent and Colin Blunstone have a good rapport with the audience and are confident performers without any rock star egos which is refreshing.
They ended with Summertime, the first number The Zombies recorded, inviting the audience to sing along, this was a mistake, it's a jazzy arrangement which defeated the lady behind me who was always singing slightly behind Blunstone.
First gig of a series of UK dates.

Edited by - mikeb on 23/10/2005 16:29:16
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2005 :  13:16:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want to see The Zombies dates plus a chance to win 2 free tickets to a venue of your choice on their UK tour are here
http://66.132.250.193/Pandora.asp
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2005 :  15:26:50  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm really tempted to go and see the zombies at gloucester...anyone else thinking of going to that gig? Mike B, i don't know any of the solo stuff from colin bluntstone and rod argent, is it worth seeing?

cheers

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

Aake
Fourth Love

Sweden
112 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2005 :  00:19:41  Show Profile  Visit Aake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all,saw Posies some month ago,great songs...loud and heavy..yeh.
Jason Ringenberg solo last Friday what a guy.

youhoo
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2005 :  13:41:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KulaJohn, when The Zombies broke up the Colin Bluntstone solo material was soft rock, melodic baroque pop whereas Argent went the other way, harder rock based around Argents keyboard work, Argent is a talented keyboardist who can play many styles but the band also ventured into progressive rock which I find at times self indulgent. I've mentioned the two anthemic rock numbers they played, another Argent number played was Keep on Rolling which I enjoyed as his keyoard work went from boogie woogie to Jerry Lee Lewis style. I think there was another Argent number that passed me by but all The Zombies and Blunstone solo material played at the gig I enjoyed hearing.

There is a one hour concert they did for Capital Gold up at
http://www.rodargent.com/
with some of the material they played when I saw them but Blunstone's vocals aren't quite there on this show and he is clearly not pushing his voice out as he was when I saw him. I suspect he had a slight throat problema and was having to slightly phone in a performance that night as they say of actors.
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2005 :  17:12:07  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all that info mikeb, really helpful, i'll have a listen to that capital gold concert 2nite. I imagine it'll be worth seeing them even just for the zombies original stuff. Very tempted

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

Cal Jam
Fourth Love

220 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2005 :  21:27:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the last few weeks:

The Seeds
Wishbone Ash
Dio
Blackmore's Night

All really enjoyable gigs. Also looking forward to Graham Bonnet next week, and Terry Reid at the end of the month.
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2005 :  21:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just saw Confessor, Saturday before last, and was nicely surprised. They are a lot more psychedelic and less metal than I seem to remember hearing years ago.
Jon
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2005 :  22:02:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw Nils Lofgren (again) recently.....man can he play the guitar!!
Go to Top of Page

Susan B.
Third Love

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2005 :  00:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw Robert Plant in October. Great Show. Rolling Stones in November (my 5th time) They are always fun to see.
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2005 :  01:26:30  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i saw LOVE, and the ZOMBIES september '04 in Hollywood. cool show! haven't seen a show since then.
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2005 :  14:30:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
went to see the kills a few weeks ago, kinda remind me of the velvet underground in a weird way, was nice to see what they looked like as the last time I saw them i could only see the tops of their heads. The joys of being a short arse
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2005 :  14:24:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw Asia and Uriah Heep last night in Bristol. Was a bit sceptical about Asia as it's only Downes, but John Payne on bass/vocals is pretty good, though sometimes it sounded more like Magnum than Asia. On guitar is Guthrie Givan, who also moonlights as a contributor to various UK guitar mags - bloody fast, but a bit too much tapping for me.

However, it was Heep I realy went to see and they didn't disappoint - even if, shock horror, they didn't do The Wizard!! Bernie Shaw is still the top heavy rock vocalist out there - Gillan and Dio appear to have lost it a bit these days - the Bear still hits the drums as hard as ever and Mick Box, loon that he is, can still put on a great bit of guitar showmanship. To be honest I had also forgotten just how good a bass player Trevor Bolder is.

If you get the chance, try to catch them before they head off to mainland Europe.
Go to Top of Page

gordo
Third Love

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2005 :  16:55:51  Show Profile  Visit gordo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saw Teenage Fanclub last week(they were fantastic) and will be seeing Robyn Hitchcock with the Minus 5 in January as well as the Posies and maybe Big Star though no official date has been announced
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page