Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2005 :  09:46:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always interested to hear who is worth seeing live especially less well known artists. Here's my last two:

Drive By Truckers -Five piece Southern rock band from Alabama, three lead guitarists all of whom write songs. Blue collar Democrats, many lyrics reflect life in the South from that perspective. One of their albums was a double CD about the Lyrnd Skyrnd story and Alabama life at that time, Skyrnd is the closest band to their musical style. Live they did a two and a half hour set, each guitarist steps forward in turn and sings one of their numbers, their style means live their numbers are longer than on the CDs as the middle sections are jamming. Whisky and cartons of cigarettes on stage, no predetermined set list, lets rock! Great reception from the crowd, could have done with a little more light and shade which you get on the CD productions with some extra instrumentation and easier to follow the strong and interesting lyrical content but definitely worth seeing if you like that style of music.

Stooges Unbelievable, sitting near the front of the balcony looking down on the standing section below, exactly like some of the footage I have seen of his 60s act, time warp time with a straight Funhouse run through and stuff from the first album, Iggy stripped to the waist, climbing on the amps, throwing himself on the crowd, cups of beer and bras being thrown at him, inviting the crowd on stage for one number which at least 50 responded to, straight five star reviews from the newspapers, if this tour comes near you book it. If I was younger I would have been downstairs Live experiences rarely get this good.

Edited by - mikeb on 14/09/2005 09:49:57

Cal Jam
Fourth Love

220 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2005 :  14:32:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had to take the lady to see both REM and Stereophonics recently. I'm not a big fan of either, but both gigs were excellent. Fair play to them.

As for me, I prefer to keep things more low key. Watching ex-Iron Maiden singer, Paul Dianno, play to 200 people in a grubby Edinburgh club was a far cry from the thousands that came to see REM, but was absolutely magical. Iron Maiden were never as good once Paul left after their first two albums. Bruce Dickinson never did it for me. The early stuff with Dianno is fabulous, and he didn't disappoint!

Watching Juicy Lucy was a hoot too. Great band. They may only have one original member left, and only about 15 people turned up to see them, but they were on fire. I'm a big fan of the band's early stuff, and the pre-Lucy band The Misunderstood, so I was delighted to see they were touring again. Met the blokes afterwards, as me and my mate were the only two who seemed bothered by their greatness. Very warm, friendly, and humble guys.

Robin Trower was great too. The guy is a fabulous guitarist. I did miss the presence of the dearly departed James Dewar on bass and vocals though, but the replacement was decent enough. This was all about Trower's guitar though. He may look like a retired accountant these days, but he's can still play like a demon possessed.

Motley Crue were fun as well. Didn't expect much from these guys, as they are all half-dead, but they put on a great show. Tommy Lee is a fine drummer once you ignore the hype. Musically, the rest of the band are a bit wayward, but they make up for it in their theatrics. Midgets, strippers, fire-breathers and trapeze artists make for an interesting show. Theatrically, they blew The Darkness away who I saw last year. There were also plenty of bare breasts on show. The lady was not best pleased.

Saw quite a few local bands too. Many without recording deals. The scene here in the North East of England is certainly improving after being lost in the wilderness for a long time. Don't believe the hype about Maximo Park and the Future Heads though. Best band to come out of the North East recently are the Golden Virgins. Their album, Songs Of Praise, is fabulous. The art of song-writing is not dead. They were excellent live too, even if most of the audience were too busy talking through most of it. Why bother going to a gig just to talk for the duration?

Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2005 :  14:50:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CalJam, go and see Angelo Palladino if you can... he lives in Leeds and plays in that area and is well worth seeing (and hearing, of course)...
Go to Top of Page

Mosquito
Second Love

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2005 :  20:48:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most recently... the King Earl Boogie Band, who play a jug-blues-boogie kind of thing. Might not mean much to you folks in the U.S., but most of the members used to be in a band called Mungo Jerry in the late 60s- early 70s, who did some *classic* good times songs like In the Summertime and The Pushbike Song. Stuff I grew up with..

Go to Top of Page

Arnstein
Fifth Love

Norway
340 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2005 :  21:22:14  Show Profile  Click to see Arnstein's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I want to see Iggy and the Stooges!!
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2005 :  00:27:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I make the effort to see at least one band each month...the UP-SIDE t
o living in London
June....PSYCHEDELIC FURS @S.B.E. + OZRIC TENTACLES in Slough
July....LOVE@ Islington
August....Flowered-Up, The Farm, Stereo M.C,S, Fatboy Slim+ HAPPY MONDAYS@ The metro weekender@ Clapham common
September will be...SHACK @ Islington + JOHN CALE@r.f.h.
As the saying goes"when a man is tired of LONDON, he is tired of Life
Go to Top of Page

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2005 :  00:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw Bob Dylan twice this year SF & LA..the last 2 shows of LOVE W/AL..Dinosaur Jr at the Fillmore..Brian Wilson in Berkeley..last weekend Parliament/Funkadelic..tonight is Stan Ridgeway and coming up are the Stones..later i'll be seeing Donovan at the Palace of Fine Arts..The SF Bay area is a mecca for live music.
Go to Top of Page

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2005 :  00:54:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to mention OASIS at the Shoreline Ampitheater this past Sunday. they were quite good and much more professional since I saw them 4 or 5 years ago. no swearing or drunken behaviour and very together.Also on the the bill were KASABIAN and JET.
Go to Top of Page

steve64
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2005 :  15:50:20  Show Profile  Visit steve64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had a ticket for Iggy and the Stooges in London but could not in the end make the gig I saw the Crazy World of Arthur Brown and Country Joe Band in Falmouth and 3 Daft Monkeys in Taunton.. got tickets to see The Dickies in Bristol - and Wild Child (Doors tribute) in London..also hoping to see The Stranglers in Yeovil

hey ho! lets go!
Go to Top of Page

The Philmeister
First Love

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2005 :  19:59:40  Show Profile  Visit The Philmeister's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This year, I've seen ZZTop in Salisbury, and Robert Plant and the Strange Sensation in Portsmouth.
Go to Top of Page

April
First Love

1 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2005 :  02:55:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just went to see the White Stripes at Keyspan Park in Coney Island (Brooklyn,NY) this Saturday night. It was a good show.

I like Jack, but I mainly went to see Meg do her thing on the drums. It was a very good night and I'm glad I went.

~April
Go to Top of Page

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2005 :  11:12:56  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jack Van Vleit
what he seems to be metamorphosing into

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page

gordo
Third Love

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2005 :  12:45:55  Show Profile  Visit gordo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
going to see The Posies twice in November.

Great band, great songs and the biggest controversy that follows them is whether they've got the amps turned to 11 or not
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2005 :  17:02:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SHACK were realy on form on tuesday night, a really good gig
Go to Top of Page

Susan B.
Third Love

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  00:08:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw The Spencer Davis Group in Las Vegas over Labor Day weekend. I went not expecting much without one of my favorite singers Steve Winwood. I was totally blown away by this group. The only original member is Spencer. He can sing and so can every one else in their group. They did some new stuff and it was good. I saw Chuck Negron in July. I wanted to see him after seeing the other 2 dogs last year. His voice is soooo strong. I was amazed considering the heavy drug and tobacco use he was into. Going to see Robert Plant on Sunday. This will be my 3rd time to try to see him. Every time I have had to give my tickets up because something has come up. Pray for Plant.
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  01:04:51  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Susan B..... I've hung out with Chuck Negron, and know he is one cool cat! we were both members of a certain 12 step program a few years ago when we went to meetings and had breakfast. hadn't see him for awhile, and glad he's still at it! what a great singer!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page