Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2005 :  04:35:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you're absolutely right, jimmyboy. The reality is what it is -- no gigs scheduled for the rest of the year -- possibly a European tour for The Love Band in February...but don't look for anything in the foreseeable future here in the States. They haven't built a following, whereas Love w/Arthur Lee (good, bad or indifferent)is well established. When you add Johnny Echols to the marquee, I think we might have a chance to see them once again.

Go to Top of Page

ocfan
Fourth Love

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2005 :  04:52:42  Show Profile  Visit ocfan's Homepage  Click to see ocfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mike P, Astrolobe, Waxburn and Boombox. I too wonder from where these people have suddenly arrived. And their motives.
Wendy, Wendy, Wendy, I was not only addressing your post. This is not all about you and your opinions, or mine.
As I have said before, you are good for a spirited debate and it would be almost enjoyable to agree to disagree with you except for your mean spirit.
And anyone who thinks Mike is a Bush supporter is really out of the loop.
I stand on my previous comments regarding racism. I didn't sidestep anything. I abhor, bigotry in all forms, racism, religious, and corporate greed (mankinds greed) makes this world such a sad place in many ways. Do I live in an airy fairy **** world? Nope. Sadly we see the reality of it every day.
But I felt that it was my responsibility as a parent, to teach my child, my grandchildren, that bigotry in all forms is wrong. Will it ever change? Not likely. But we each can make a small contribution to help it go away. Why would I want anyone including Kanye, continue to fire up the ugliness of racism? Black against white. Or white against black. And again, it is just as much to do with $$$ versus poor, no matter what the race.
Wendy, every post you have made has had a mean spirit to it. And I too wonder where, where, did some of you come from, so out of the blue?
Mike is no Uncle Tom and shame on the person who sent him that nasty little email. And Kanye's comments were said at the wrong time and wrong place. It may have sabotaged help that was going to be given.
Does racism exist? Does sexism exist? Does religious bigotry exist? Absolutely. Will it go away? Sadly, I don't think so.
I can only stand true to my belief's, pass them on to my children and hope that someday the world will be a better place.
And again, it's easy to sit back and judge all the people involved in the horror of Katrina and it's aftermath. Sadly, it shows how ill equipped we are to handle some kinds of situations. Hopefully, we will learn from the mistakes made.
But, bottom line, is Wendy, in particular, seems to have real problems with Mike Randle. Why? I don't know. She veils it in sometimes saying positive things to sugar coat the nastiness that comes later. Just as Mike R has a right to voice his opinions, so does Wendy.
As I said before, I doubt Mike R is losing sleep over this.
Mike P, I too am looking forward to these people's posts when all this is sorted out and we find out what direction AL is going and what direction the Love Band is going.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2005 :  10:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OCFAN..I was not only addressing you. This IS about more than our opinions..it's about everyone's opinion and their right to express it ..maybe at what others may deem "inappropriate" times. I was by no means calling you ar MR a racist. I may disagree with MR on certain issues but I don't have anything against him. My feelings on BL's position vis-a-vis AL is documented elsewhere and have nothing to do with this post. We disagree on a particular issue. That's all. Other people have voiced their opinions and they seem to go both ways. I don't agree with any malicious name-calling and I don't consider myself mean-spirited. Not much sense of humour around here is there? Maybe the older posters have gotten a little cozy only talkng about a BL vs AL situation and other groovy topics. I don't mind the idea of a "Community Association" to keep a friendly lid on it so to speak but this "where do these new posters come from" attitude is all a bit elitist for me. It must go along with the belief that someone needs to define the "appropriate and proper" time to speak. If there are rules here that I or some new poster has broken please advise me and I will amend my posts accordingly. If not then please accept that change is the only thing we can count on 100% of the time. Time changes...Forever changes

You say Kanye West's comments MAY have sabotaged help that was going to be given...yes maybe... but just as likely they may have lighted a fire, drawn some attention and awakened a few people who were sleepwalking through the day. I believe the later. So few people speak up nowadays. Everyone is so concerned with "political correctness" and "appropriate timing"and above all their "careers".
My original post was perhaps a tad strog but I was "in the moment" after reading MR's tirade against Kanye West. I think if you re-read the diary entry you will find it a bit strong as well. Discussion boards thrive on a healthy balance of differing opinions and consensus. That's what I think we have on this issue. Realize this...When the tornado (i don't remember which one) hit Florida, the whole state was declared a Federal Disaster Zone and aid was on the way within 1 day! Jeb Bush, younger brother of George, is the Governor of Florida. What is wrong with this picture? I agree that we can't just go calling every wrong incident "racist"or "anti-semetic". Neither can we ignore every call of racism or anti-semitism. I didn't really expect to get into this here. These boards are pretty mellow and fan-based and to be honest I like that, but from time to time things do come up.
Finally I don't know MR as a person so I reserve personal judgements and react to what he himself says. Some seem to think we should just accept their word that he is a "wonderful" person whilst also accepting his and their word that AL is a "terrible" person. Meanwhile down Louisiana way......
Go to Top of Page

Judith
Third Love

United Kingdom
93 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2005 :  11:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wendy, you documentated earlier on the board that you didn't know what the term political correctness means - you are so right and you still don't know what it means, and it certainly is NOT about NOT speaking up - quite the opposite in fact. Frankly, I cannot take you seriously-all this coming from a woman who can refer to another woman as a bimbo. That tells me a lot more about your 'worldview' than anything else you've written here.

Edited by - Judith on 13/09/2005 11:51:53
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2005 :  14:32:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very well then don't take me seriously. But as OCFAN so rightly said this is not about me or her or you for that matter. Petty personal attacks are always an easy way round the subject. Seeing the things going on in the world right now The words political and correctness stand diametrically opposed to each other... at least in my "Worldview". I made that reference ages ago about the girls on The Benny Hill Show. It's television for God's sake!! They were hired to play Bimbos and thats what they did. They were NOT Bimbos...they were hired to PLAY Bimbos. get over it. What does that have to do with.... well ....anything? Judge me harshly if you will .I promise not to judge you too harshly for using the word "documentated". Meanwhile down in Louisiana.....
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2005 :  16:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jim,
i agree with you saying that this is an unpleasent time here on this website. I figure your right about there being no news of LOVE, and this lesding to people sniping at each other.
YOU NEVER MISS YOUR WATER TILL YOUR WELL RUNS DRY..as the late great PETER TOSH sang.
It seems an age since we used the chat-roomon a sunday or a wednesday
evening,and some real good chats were had.
I met some real nice people who hooked me up with downloads+ video,s, as i did them with discs+ stuff, there was a good feeling of comaradery and learning new things about LOVE from like minded people.
It must be hard for new posters, who have come in at a time when the on -line community is breaking into two different camps,it would seem.
I for one miss the good times a hell of a lot.
But hey at least we enjoyed it all when we could...LOVE..Allan
Go to Top of Page

ocfan
Fourth Love

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2005 :  17:44:07  Show Profile  Visit ocfan's Homepage  Click to see ocfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes, this whole situation is so sad. I hope we don't end up with an AL camp and a Love Band camp. They are all so talented in their own right and I, for one, am so glad I got to see them in concert, many, many times.
Hoping their home base of L.A. will allow us So. California fans to see them before they head off to Europe again.
And, Judith, I caught the political correctness thing too.
Alas, if someone said the sky was blue, Wendy would say it was red. She seems to have a penchant for trying to cause a ruckus for no other reason but to hear/read her own voice.
As Mike P wisely wrote, these people have appeared out of nowhere. And where were their posts in the past?
We all miss the good ole days. I'm just hoping that we will get to see these talented artists again.
I am going to try to take wise Caryne's advice and just ignore this person, in the future.
Hopefully, there will be some good news soon about the band and future dates.
I sure hope so.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2005 :  19:19:39  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I made a decision a few weeks ago to stop posting on this site until there was something positive to report on the Love Band / Arthur situation - however on the Hurricane Katrina / racism situation I thought I'd add the details of an email I received today from a friend of Indian origin.

Interesting perspective on the Hurricane situation
from an Indian's point of view.

New Orleans vs. Mumbai

inches of rain in new Orleans due to hurricane Katrina... 18

inches of rain in Mumbai (July 27th).... 37.1

population of new Orleans... 484,674

population of

Mumbai.... 12,622,500

deaths in new Orleans within 48 hours of Katrina...100

deaths in Mumbai within 48hours of rain.. 37.

number of people to be evacuated in new Orleans... entire city..wohh

number of people evacuated in Mumbai...10,000

Cases of shooting and violence in new Orleans...Countless

Cases of shooting and violence in Mumbai.. NONE

Time taken for US army to reach new Orleans... 48hours

Time taken for Indian army and navy to reach Mumbai...12hours

status 48hours later...new Orleans is still waiting for relief, army
and electricity status 48hours later. Mumbai is back on its feet and is business is as usual

USA...world's most developed nation

India...third world country..

To top this all India didn't call its own citizens the REFUGEES

Please forward if you like.

Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2005 :  20:49:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And for more details of the Mumbai floods go to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Maharashtra_floods

which is a respected site. Some quotes, selective in the sense they are replying to the above but for more information check the link:

The Maharashtra floods of 2005 refers to the flooding of many parts of the Indian state of Maharashtra including large areas of the metropolis of Mumbai (formerly Bombay), a city located on the coast of the Arabian Sea, on the western coast of India, in which at least 1,000 people died.

On 28 July 2005, the BBC reported that the death toll to be at least 430 in the state of Maharashtra. By 31 July 2005 this had risen to at least 1,000.

Deaths in the city were due to

* Total: 406
* Drowning: 233
* Landslide: 116 (till now); 65 alone were killed by a landslide at Saki Naka. The fire brigade arrived after 15 hours. On July 31, boulders are still being cleared and the count of the dead is rising.
* Stampede: 24 deaths caused by a stampede which occured due to a false tsunami rumor at a slum in Vile Parle. Residents of low lying coastal areas, who had faced the floods just 48 hours back, panicked and rushed towards higher ground.
* Trapped in vehicle: 16 deaths from suffocation in cars after water levels rose rapidly, preventing escape.
* Electrocution: 12
* Wall collapse: 5; the count may rise as more incidents are tallied (Sunday newspapers report a wall collapse in a school for the first time).

Adding to the chaos was the lack of public information. Radio stations and many television stations did not receive any weather warnings or alerts by the civic agencies. The Met department blamed it on the lack of sophisticated Doppler radars which would have given a 3 hour prior warning.

Citizens were angered by the apathy of the government. Raasta rokos (stopping vehicular traffic) were staged at 16 places in Mumbai in 24 hours, as thousands of citizens came out in the streets to condemn the "failure of the civic and state administration" and shouted slogans against offices of Reliance Energy at Vakola, Dahisar, Oshivara, Goregaon and other areas.

Factors aggravating the disaster in Mumbai
Antiquated drainage system
Uncontrolled, unplanned development in Northern Suburbs
Destruction of mangrove ecosystems

I thought this was a music forum. The premise of this post is also questionable as it starts with a quite meaningless comparison of rainfall when in fact the New Orleans tragedy was caused by a hurricane causing levees to break, if it had only been rainfail there would at least have been some basis for the selective comparisons below the first statement.
Go to Top of Page

ocfan
Fourth Love

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2005 :  21:02:28  Show Profile  Visit ocfan's Homepage  Click to see ocfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Mike B. Thank you. The breaking of the levee's and impossibility of getting to stranded people caused a lot of what is perceived as a lack of response. Though I'm sure we could have handled it better.
I kind of agree with Tina though as far as posting about things other than the band as we seem to be getting into p***ing arguments with skunks.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2005 :  21:40:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is very interesting. What a comparison.

I think it is a pretty strange question " Where were these new posters before". Speaking for myself I went to about 4 Love Concerts over the last 3 years but because I have a fairly busy and active life I never took the time to search out these boards. I don't follow the band aroundand only really became involved because of the viciousness and eagerness to slag off AL (without whom there would be no boards) in light of his split with the band. It is true that i stand firmly on the AL side of the question for reasons stated elsewhere ( all musical and historical). That does not go down well with several people here. Neither 1968 nor 2003 is coming back but hopefully something new and fresh will take their place. This thread was about Kanye West's comments and MRs reaction to them. It was not cheery but at least it was real for a while. I agree that this has descended into the doldrums. I was raised to believe that the things that make life wonderful are not always groovy/happy/cheery. I guess I am in the minority around here as any divergence from the 2003 status quo seems to met with a firm "you're not one of us" attitude. I hope we get some music soon!!! Otherwise some people will have to continue to play follow the leader and keep their heads in the sand as to the changing world.
Go to Top of Page

Phil Brauer
Third Love

90 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2005 :  00:11:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I too wonder from where these people have suddenly arrived. And their motives."
Well, I arrived from California, and only discovered the website/diaries/messageboard recently. I have only seen Love twice, but have been a fan for twenty years or so. I am sure my qualifications are not up to par for all of you who wonder where I, and others came from. Sorry, but I still listen to Love all the time. Hope that's OK with you. If you don't want new people/viewpoints on your board then you should make it a closed society with no new members allowed. I still think MR's comments about KW were pretty lame. And his recent protests about Bush seem like they came after the fact...and his comment about how he sometimes votes republican...I don't know..I definitely have my doubts about where MR stands politically, and I get a vibe that it's more to the right than I would be able to support. This will be my last post on these boards, so don't worry about me ruining your sycophantic society.
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2005 :  01:47:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WW wrote:

"Realize this...When the tornado (i don't remember which one) hit Florida, the whole state was declared a Federal Disaster Zone and aid was on the way within 1 day! Jeb Bush, younger brother of George, is the Governor of Florida. What is wrong with this picture?"

What is wrong with this picture is that you (once again) have your
facts wrong, that's what. First off its a hurricane, not a tornado, - big difference there to begin with. And trust me folks, as a life long WAY liberal democrat and someone who is consistantly ANTI BUSH across the board on all issues, the ball was truely dropped by FEMA, as George Bush delcared the entire Gulf Region a National Disaster Area the DAY BEFORE the hurricane hit.

Sure, George Bush appointed Michael "The Dork" Brown (FEMA Director who just resigned), and is responsible for that bad hire, but get your facts straight. Your analogy about Jeb and the Florida "tornado" is laughable.
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2005 :  01:49:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Phil,
it dosent matter to me if someone has been posting for years, or if they have just heard even their first LOVE track ever.
EVERONES veiwpoint is valad,and all have the rite to say what they feel.
To anyone who has just started posting here,,,,WELCOME TO LOVE LAND.
The more new members and different points of veiw we have here, the more healthier, with NOW more than ever a time for us all to do our best efforts towards keeping TORBEN,s site interesting and flowing.
LOVE..............................Allan
Go to Top of Page

ocfan
Fourth Love

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2005 :  02:24:16  Show Profile  Visit ocfan's Homepage  Click to see ocfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is a post from Bill Weiler, freelance journalist, over in Merritt
Island, FL, who has been researching what went on before the storm hit.

These are the authors comment - I find them very interesting.

Politics over Duty

I think all of Mayor Nagin's pomp and posturing is going to bite him hard
in the near future as the lies and distortions of his interviews are coming
to light.

On Friday night before the storm hit Max Mayfield of the National Hurricane
Center took the unprecedented action of calling Mayor Nagin and Governor
Blanco personally to plead with them to begin MANDATORY evacuation of New
Orleans and they said they'd take it under consideration. This was after
the NOAA buoy 240 miles south had recorded 68' waves before it was
destroyed.

President Bush spent Friday afternoon and evening in meetings with his
advisors and administrators drafting all of the paperwork required for a
state to request federal assistance (and not be in violation of the Posse
Comitatus Act or having to enact the Insurgency Act). Just before midnight
Friday evening the President called Governor Blanco and pleaded with her to
sign the request papers so the federal government and the military could
legally begin mobilization and call up. He was told that they didn't think
it necessary for the federal government to be involved yet. After the
President's final call to the governor she held meetings with her staff to
discuss the political ramifications of bringing federal forces. It was
decided that if they allowed federal assistance it would make it look as if
they had failed so it was agreed upon that the feds would not be invited in.

Saturday before the storm hit the President again called Gov. Blanco and
Mayor Nagin requesting they please sign the papers requesting federal
assistance, that they declare the state an emergency area, and begin
mandatory evacuation. After a personal plea from the President, Nagin
agreed to order an evacuation, but it would not be a full mandatory
evacuation, and the governor still refused to sign the papers requesting
and authorizing federal action. In frustration the President declared the
area a national disaster area before the state of Louisiana did so he could
legally begin some advanced preparations. Rumor has it that the President's
legal advisers were looking into the ramifications of using the insurgency
act to bypass the Constitutional requirement that a state request federal
id before the federal government can move into state with troops - but
that had not been done since 1906 and the Constitutionality of it was called
into question to use before the disaster.

Throw in that over half the federal aid of the past decade to New Orleans
for levee construction, maintenance, and repair was diverted to fund a
marina and support the gambling ships. Toss in the investigation that will
look into why the emergency preparedness plan submitted to the federal
government for funding and published on the city's website was never
implemented and in fact may have been bogus for the purpose of gaining
additional federal funding as we now learn that the organizations
identified in the plan were never contacted or coordinating into any
planning - though the document implies that they were.

The suffering people of New Orleans need to be asking some hard questions
as do we all, but they better start with why Blanco refused to even sign
the multi-state mutual aid pack activation documents until Wednesday which
further delayed the legal deployment of National Guard from adjoining
states. Or maybe ask why Nagin keeps harping that the President should have
commandeered 500 Greyhound busses to help him when according to his own
emergency plan and documents he claimed to have over 500 busses at his
disposal to use between the local school busses and the city transportation
busses - but he never raised a finger to prepare them or activate them.

This is a sad time for all of us to see that a major city has all but been
destroyed and thousands of people have died with hundreds of thousands more
suffering, but it's certainly not a time for people to be pointing fingers
and trying to find a bigger dog to blame for local corruption and
incompetence.

Pray to God for the survivors that they can start their lives
anew as fast as possible and we learn from all the mistakes to avoid them
in the future.

This was emailed to me by a friend. Thought I should share it. And Allanagain I agree. Phil, this is really a nice group of people and Mike is not by any means a George Bush lover.
I just hope they both parties are successful in their future endeavors and that the sniping and condenscending comments would stop.

Peace

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page