Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  10:00:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Mike I must say I disagree with your assesment of Kanye West's blurt. However "inappropriate" we may think his timing was/is (and you may be right about that) something certainly needed to be said. For George Bush to have spent over 200 billion dollars to "bring democracy to Iraq" and then falter and fail to bring the benefits of that democracy to his own countrymen is a high crime in my book. Whether Kanye's comments as to George Bush's racism are on the mark or not I don't think he could have picked a better forum. He has subsequently donated quite a lot of money to the relief fund. Not to put too fine a point on it but all i see coming out of your "pie hole" is twat about loosing weight! Now that's important stuff. When artists (however you may feel about them) stop speaking up and using their fame to at least try and make a difference...well they might as well all go on a long diet because they will have all lost whatever weight they have...as in lightweight.
I guarantee you that had a storm hit Kennybunkport Maine or Crawford Texas the response would have been a hell of lot faster. The pictures we here in England saw looked like a 3rd world country and the response was the same as well. Shame!!! I know this is not the place for a full blown political tirade but since you brought it up in your "diaries" I felt an answer was called for. The script that the presenters were reading from was inane and even though Kanye West seemed to be blurting all over the place I know quite a lot of people were feeling him. With 5 million people or more watching at least someone had the courage to say what they thought instead of what they were told to say. Some people take things to heart, mate and injustice needs to be spoken on.
Peace

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  21:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with you on this one, WFW.
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  21:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by finelyfree

I have to agree with you on this one, WFW.

I am going to go with MR senible POV and well thought analysis on this one,
re: KW. I think the object was to help the victims, and his 'political'
remarks would be of no help for the the fundraising efforts.
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  00:44:59  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i don't think K.W. is a problem ( except for his taste in music), but i do know that Bush IS a problem , and i applaud KWs remark and still despise the whole hipityhoppity-rap scene. it's time to speak out about the creeping fascism more than ever , now, even in this time of remorse for the Katrina victims. although, i ALSO do technically disagree with K.W. about Bushh not caring about Blacks. i see this as more of a class and politics thing . Bush doesn't care about poor, middle class, Democrat, non-Christian, liberal,truth loving, freedom of expression supporting, free spirited people of ALL colors including white. this is no slap at Randle. i love you, Mike, and wish you the best. hope to see you guys really soon again in L.A. LAST time i saw you play was with the Zombies at the Ebell theater in Hollywood! you realy rock, and are one special person!
Go to Top of Page

Phil Brauer
Third Love

90 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  01:18:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I saw K.W. speaking I totally felt what he was saying!!! I don't care what the 'forum' is, these things need to be said anytime, anywhere. Then I read Mike's diary entry and just kind of thought "Wrong" I was going to comment on it at the time, but figured I would just let it slide. But Mike does sound like a Bush apologist...it's the same line of thinking as the republican's are trying to use...the old "now is not the time for this kind of talk...now is not the time for the blame game, etc, etc" Bull&*!%. There has never been a more desperate time, and K.W. and anyone else who speaks up should be applauded. I was there for the last Love show at Cafe Du Nord, and I was pretty bummed out by Arthur...but I am more bummed out by reading that diary entry. Probably take a pass on The Love Band as well.
Go to Top of Page

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  01:39:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I'm beginning to see why AL and MR don't exactly mesh. If he reflects the feelings of BL, then I'm glad the group is no longer with AL. No disrespect to MRwho is entitled to his opinion and viewpoint.

I only wish that Johnny and AL could find a way to pull it together for the group we all want to see again. I mean, how difficult could it be to get another backing band which is what BL has been.

C'mon, Arthur and Johnny, time's a wasting I can hope, can't I?

Edited by - ladylove on 12/09/2005 01:40:40
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  04:40:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All respect to all points of view. Did America need to have a fundraiser to spend the 200.000,000,000 on a "war" in Iraq. NOT!!! So why pitty-pat around the issue at hand. The US has more than enough money with or without a telethon to deal with this problem. Obviously money is not the issue.Priorities are the issue. I praise Kanye West for at least getting up out of his Hummer to take a stand. He did put his money where his mouth was and did not wait for a "proper and appropriate" time to do so.

On another note I read the next entry in MR's "diaries" ( I don't read them much and will be reading them less now). I disagree with the fellow who sent him that email calling him an Uncle Tom and a sellout. I don't think that is the case at all. Misguided, a little too laid back and eager to please maybe but not a sell out.
Go to Top of Page

ocfan
Fourth Love

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  18:38:00  Show Profile  Visit ocfan's Homepage  Click to see ocfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
People can always agree to disagree. I did not see Kanye make his speech, nor did I see the Grammy's. Sometimes these shows allow us to see some fine talent but many, many great groups are lost in the shuffle. It's all about the number of records sold and frankly, most of the new rap and hip hop just feeds racism, violence, and sexism.
I do feel that a fundraiser or awards show is not the approriate place to go "off track" and not stay with the issue at hand.
For those of us living in the U S Of A, my observation is that it currently becoming a land of the very wealthy or the very poor. Slow and insidious it is, but there it is. It's not just an issue of race. It's all about $$$$. The ones who have it get treated well. The ones who don't suffer. Sad as it is, Blacks and Indian's in America lived this for a very long time. So have many Whites.
Anyone who knows Mike or has read his diaries knows he not a fan of GWB. So, though you may quit reading Mike's diaires; if you did take the time you would find he is no lover of George Bush, the actions in Iraq and on and on.
We have lively spirtied debates here but I have to agree with Mike. If in fact, his statements are true and since I've not known him to lie, I believe maybe Kanye is a little full of himself. Other's postings here seem to cofirm Kanye's comments. But he's young and celebrity oft times goes to peoples heads and they become more important in their own eyes then they really are. He certainly is entitled to his opinion as we all are, but it sounds his comments were meant to inflame racism and don't we all wish racism would just bury it's ugly head.
And how easy it is to sit and be an armchair quarterback. The storm was far different than 9\11. How do we fix this? We learn from the mistakes made. Help was slow in coming but how easy it is to criticize when we are not the ones responsible for making decisions on the best way to handle a national disaster.
For those of you who disagree to the point that you wish the Love Band, Baby Lemonade, would just disappear and Arthur and Johnny reunite because you don't agree with all of Mike's opinions, I don't think they need you anyway. And you might be surprised to know that racism against whites by blacks is rampant. It runs both ways folks.
My wish? That racism and it's pure hatred and ugliness will someday disappear. But bigotry will always exist. That's how people boost their own ego's by feeling better than others, be it by bigotry against race, religion, economic status and on and on. I'm hoping than in another 200 years we will be so intermeshed it will no longer matter. When I meet someone, my like or dislike is not about the color of their skin.
Mike is no Uncle Tom. One of the reasons I like him so much as a person is he is just "Mike". He too takes people as they are, black or white and his friendships are not based on skin color.
He doesn't choose to approve of blacks who hate whites just as I don't approve, or like, whites who don't like black people. I just find the whole concept of "better than you" ridiculous. Whatever the reason.
Lastly, don't we all wish that the breakup had not happened? And for those of you who chose to, can attend gigs by both groups, or one, or none.
I find the whole thing so so sad. That it had to come down to this. Mike would be the first to say that Arthur has an incredible voice, stage mesmerizing performances when he was "on" physically and mentally. But you just can't hang up your fans or band at the airport.
There seems to be two camps here. The AL camp and the Love Band camp.
And since we live in free countries, we are allowed to say whatever we feel. Mike has been the target of a lot of mean spirited, down right hateful comments.
Does he feel strongly about some things. Of course. As do we all. But I'm just puzzled by (mainly new posters) sheer, out to get him,attitude.
Maybe Kanye's attitude mirrors someone else he knows and it triggered a lot of memories of hearing similar rants from someone else. I don't know.
But if you don't like Mike or his diaries, don't read em. Don't go see him when he plays. I don't think he's gonna lose sleep over it.
The mean spiritness should stop. I think everyone wishes Arthur will get well and sober but he burned a big bridge. Not with just the band, but the forums where he formerly played will think twice before booking him again.
I've always wondered why all these "celebrities" who choose to put their political opinions out there on award shows or in this case, a telethon, don't get a "show" going whose focus is on just these points. Maybe then the program would stay on track and people can choose to watch or not watch and make up their own minds.
Or take Brad Pitt. He used his celebrity to get an hour show going that focused on the plight in Africa. Didn't beat up on the administration, just showed what was going on and went straight to the people. Granted his celebrity status got the show watched but where was the hatred, where was the ranting and raving?
Maybe, that was Mike's point? Put the issue on the table and stick to the issue, in point.
Peace

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  19:10:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agony.
We (meaning all of us here on earth) wear ourselves out so, with hand-wringing, complaining, and finger-pointing. What does it acheive? Most of it can be traced back to mere self-important ego-inflation.
I am no apologist for anyone, I do not consider everything to be rosey, and I did not witness the apparently ill-conceived and divisive statements of this Kayne fellow (nor had I ever heard of him before this)... Such statements especially at such times do nothing more than further the growing divisiveness some seem to so enjoy these days. I hear total b.s. coming from both sides simultaneously, as well as tiny (and I do mean f-in' SMALL) bits of truth.
I stand with Mike's words in that diary, and I deride the person who wrote him that extremely assuming letter. That was wrong to do, and so apparently, was this KW.
Blame?
I'll shout it out: "AFTER ALL, IT WAS YOU AND ME."

Love you all,
Jon
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  19:21:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ocfan

People can always agree to disagree...
<snip>

Peace
Cheryl

Cheryl,
Yes, exactly (to your entire post).
Thank you.

Edited by - astrolobe33 on 12/09/2005 19:25:43
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  19:52:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you, cheryl: a voice of reason.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2005 :  01:02:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I wrote had nothing to do with the split between AL and BL....or Brad Pitt. i do not look to celebrities as examples of how to live my life or get my words though. We are each of us granted some forum or another and it is up to us to us it to the best of our abilities. Brad Pitt is not the first or last celebrity to go off to Africa in search of an answer to that terrible situation. That is a bad analogy to the situation in the southern states. Perhaps some of you out there should spend a little less time reading "diaries" and a little more time reading the world news. This could have largely been avoided by a preventative stance as opposed to a curative one. The US responded quicker to the Tsunami than it did to Katrina. there is no excuse for that. Kanye West's blurt was an emotional one it's true and perhaps ill timed but it is one that echoes the feeling of a great many people the world over as relates to the current American government's priorities and make no mistake this is abour priorities. Maybe some would have been more comfortable if he had said "George Bush doesn't care about POOR people". fair enough...it is very easy for the majority of us to sweetly sidestep the whole issue of racism because it just doesn't figure in our day-to-day lives. And it makes us soooo uncomfortable. My point was not to critisise MR... he is entitled to his opinion. It does not make him any less of a person or less of a guitar player for that matter. I for one will not be going back to read umpteen entries of his "diaries" to ascertain his viewpoint. I think he made his point clear enough. He disagrees with Kanye West and his timing. OK, I see no reason to make a personal attack on him for his polite and status quo stance on the matter. Yes it is easy to make judgements from afar but it is equally easy to sit and say nothing whilst decrying those that do take a stand.
I have spent a great deal of time in America and one thing that almost all of my black and non-white friends have said is that ' you have no idea what it is like because you do not have to deal with it". I have heard the same thing here in Britain for years. All this airy-fairy talk about wishing racism away is shiite. Yes fine...I wish there was no hunger or wars as well and while we are at it how about a big lottery win. so much for wishes. maybe Kanye west was wrong to say what he said...maybe John Lennon was wrong to say "woman is the nigger of the world" but that is what he believed and that is what he said. It was controversial and people stood up and took notice. Was it wrongheaded use of celebrity? did he think too much of himself at the time? Maybe, But at least it got people to thinking and that is no easy thing these days!!!
This is not about AL or BL...all of a sudden that all seems so trite. so very trivial.

It takes work and action to make a better world...wishful thinking will not do it. can't we all see that by now!!!
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2005 :  02:17:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thankyou Cheryl. Very well put, and not before time. That someone can so totally misrepresent Mike in such a manner is at worst shameful and at best totally clueless. To suggest that Mike Randle is a Bush supporter is to twist the truth through 180 degrees. What I would like to know about these new posters - particularily the totally anonymous one - is: when, in 2003, it was possible to unreservedly praise to the heavens ALL the members of Love as they carved a swathe across the States and Europe on that wonderful tour, where were they? They could have held forth on this website and the messageboard on the official website and scattered as many superlatives as they chose, but....not a peep. Not even from those who profess to be fans of more than thirty years standing. That they seem to have been incapable of posting NOT EVEN ONE WORD of support, encouragement and praise then, when they profess to be such fervent supporters of Mr.Lee is as mean spirited as their current outpourings of ire against the Love Band, now that they seem to have abandoned all pretence of genuine evenhandedness. I trust that when the official website is up and running again they will be making very frequent positive postings therein by way of amends. I look forward to reading them.
Go to Top of Page

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2005 :  04:00:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MAN,THIS WEBSITE HAS REALLY BEGAN TO TURN INTO SH*T. I GUESS SINCE THERE REALLY IS NOT MUCH TO POST ANYMORE BECAUSE THERE IS NO LOVE W/ARTHUR LEE ANYMORE WERE ALL JUST LASHING OUT OVER THE MOST MUNDANE THINGS. ALL THE "NEW FOLKS" ARE WLCOME BUT THEY CAME IN AT A HORRIBLE TIME AND THE WHOLE SITUATION IS REALLY UNPLEASANT. AM I WRONG OR RIGHT? I'M SURE I'LL HEAR ABOUT IT REAL QUICK.
Go to Top of Page

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2005 :  04:02:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MAN,THIS WEBSITE HAS REALLY BEGAN TO TURN INTO SH*T. I GUESS SINCE THERE REALLY IS NOT MUCH TO POST ANYMORE BECAUSE THERE IS NO LOVE W/ARTHUR LEE ANYMORE WERE ALL JUST LASHING OUT OVER THE MOST MUNDANE THINGS. ALL THE "NEW FOLKS" ARE WLCOME BUT THEY CAME IN AT A HORRIBLE TIME AND THE WHOLE SITUATION IS REALLY UNPLEASANT. AM I WRONG OR RIGHT? I'M SURE I'LL HEAR ABOUT IT REAL QUICK.
Go to Top of Page

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2005 :  04:05:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SORRY TORBEN..PLEASE DELETE REPEAT POST IF POSSIBLE.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page