Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BobbyFischer
Fifth Love

Norway
440 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2004 :  22:27:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know the address(or at least street)Arthur went to live when he moved from the Castle late 66?Both Lookout mountain road and Mullholland drive have been claimed from different bio sources.Ive also read somewhere that his hillside house was the location for the 67 movie The trip.Is that true?

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2004 :  15:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bobby. I'm probably a little different than most of the members here, as I have a genuine interest in more than just Arthur...I try to dig up as much as I can about all the original LOVE members. It's very difficult finding this info, but I do find tid-bits from time to time. I have a particular interest in Forssi-if you have any info, articles or pics of him, please let me know.

The Trip. I have not ever seen this movie, but I would sure love to.

From what I've been able to research, I think The Trip was either filmed at Harry Houdini's old house (Zappa lived there), or possibly (maybe probably) was filmed at Arthur's residence on Blue Jay Way, after The Castle. I believe The Castle was on Look Out Mountain. In 1970, I lived in Laurel Canyon for 5 months. I lived on Wonderland, right next door to Carole King. If you drive on Wonderland going up, Look Out would be on the top of Laurel Canyon. I spent several days on Look Out back then, meeting all kinds of interesting people.

I may be wrong with this info...so if anyone else knows differently, please chime in

If you're interested in the LA scene during the 60's, I recommend this site. It's loaded with tremendous information and plenty of pics. Look for Trulees pics. There's a neat pic of Echols and Maclean, and I'm in e-mail contact with the author of the site, giving her positive ID of that pic

http://hollywoodhangover.com/index.html

Edited by - Allan on 30/08/2004 15:55:38
Go to Top of Page

BobbyFischer
Fifth Love

Norway
440 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  02:35:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for your information and that cool sunset people hangover link!Great photo of Echols and Bryan,havent seen that one before,looks like its from early 67.I think you are alittle wrong about the Castle location though.In one of the brilliant Castle fanzines(cant remember number),theres a photo of the contract of the 7 and 7 is session.The address of all the members are 4320 cedarhurst circle.I did some research some time ago and found out where it was.Check this :http://www.jdls.com/residential/italvilla01.html The legendary Castle is actually out for sale!Never have I been wishing more to be a multimillionaire!Its near the greek theater in Griffith park,Los Feliz.
Go to Top of Page

torben
Fifth Love

Denmark
328 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  12:59:58  Show Profile  Visit torben's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Made a page awhile ago for my site: http://love.torbenskott.dk/thecastle2003.asp
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  16:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bobby and Torben...Thanks for your great information. LOVE's house in Laurel Canyon was Bela Lugosi's old house. Then they moved to The Castle. And then I believe they took a house on Blue Jay Way (I've only heard about Blue Jay Way within the past 2 weeks-but I definitely have not confirmed this). The Trip was either filmed at Houdini's old house, or possibly Blue Jay Way. I have also recently heard (again-not confirmed) that the house that The Trip was filmed at had an indoor swimming pool and a bowling alley in the basement.

For those that may be interested...here's another site about the LA scene in the 60's-from a Groupies perspective

http://www.hollywooddiaries.com/archiveindex.htm

Edited by - Allan on 01/09/2004 16:11:38
Go to Top of Page

Ainsley
First Love

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  03:05:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for those links, Allan....within a few minutes I found myself watching Terry Reid performing in some club in LA! What a treat, last time I saw him sing was Glastonbury '71

Ainsley
Go to Top of Page

Ainsley
First Love

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  03:06:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should have added, he did a great six minute "Waterloo Sunset"

Ainsley
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  03:40:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're welcome, Ainsley. I enjoy both of those sites. I saw Terry Reid twice...one time was with Cream's Goodbye Tour (I think ?), and one time he was just passing through Philly (1970/71 sounds right). He had such a great voice.
Go to Top of Page

jim
Third Love

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  11:29:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i read somewhere that is was Arthurs house which was used for the film The Trip & a scene from this film features someone hiding in a closet which Arthur also used to hide himself away in.regards jim.
Go to Top of Page

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  21:55:37  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
was that the 'locking my heart in' closet, I wonder

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2004 :  16:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bobby Fisher and all. I recently won an ebay auction for 'The Trip' and have viewed it. I now believe the following to be true. LOVE first lived in The Castle in 1966. Then they moved to Lugosi's mansion in Laurel Canyon (where the pics of the broken down outdoor fireplce/firepit is located where several pics of the band were taken for the first LP cover, Da Capo, and Electra Masters LP covers as well. Afterwards, Arthur moved to Blue Jay Way.

The film shows some footage of The Strip in the 60's, especially, The Classic Cat. See my link above...http://hollywoodhangover.com/index.html. One thing is for sure...wherever the film was shot, there is an indoor/outdoor swimming pool. If anyone can ever validate if Lugosi's mansion had an indoor/outdoor pool, then we'll know for sure where the movie was filmed.

The movie itself is interesting, from a psychedelic point of view. The basic theme is 'far-out, neat, hip, and groovy' [pardon my 60's lingo...LOL]. The decor of the house is straight out of a 60's head shop-it's really a trip back in time. It's written by Jack Nicholson, produced by Roger Corman, and starrring Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper, Bruce Dern, and a beautiful Susan Strasberg. The music is credited to 'An American Music Band'. This is really Electric Flag. I have 'A Long Time Coming'-Electric Flag's first LP, and I used to listen to it a lot, back in the day. The band has many notable musicians, among them being Mike Bloomfield, Nick Granvenites, Herbie Rich, Richie Havens, and a guy named Buddy Miles. The music score in the film is quite psychedelic and I never associated Electric Flag to psychedelia-outside of when the album was released.

Jim and LizzyB...the 'closet' scene lasts about 1 minute. Peter is having a bit of a bad trip at times, and he finds a closet in the house, where he feels safe. It really looks like an ordinary closet, but rather large. It looks to be about 6 ft square, and completely empty (no coat hooks or clothes bars). I can see it definitely serving as a place of solitude.

Fonda, Hopper, Dern, and Nicholson dabbled in movies like these with psychedelic themes until they hit it big with "Easy Rider". There's another movie I'm after called 'Psyche-Out' with Susan Strasberg that is along the same lines as this movie.
Go to Top of Page

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2004 :  16:50:52  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Allan, had a look at hollywoodhangover, what a great site!!

I remember there was a sampler album called "The Rock Machine turns you on" which Lizzy had and we listened to a lot that had Killing Floor on by the Electric Flag as well as a lot of other great stuff from the late 60s - see the link for details. It really takes me back looking at the track listing.

[url][http://www.deaddisc.com/ot/Rock_Machine_Turns_You_On.htm/url]
Go to Top of Page

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2004 :  16:53:08  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
http://www.deaddisc.com/ot/Rock_Machine_Turns_You_On.htm

Sorry got the link wrong last time - hopefully this one will work
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2004 :  19:28:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tina-what a great sampler. I recognize virtually all the songs/artists. I have many of the LP's from the sampler and especially The United States of America LP. Bought it new back in the day. That was my first introduction into true 'electronic' music. Very unique album. I feel that this group was a bit ahead of its time as more electronic music began to appear shortly after this one. I would call this one electronic/psychedelic. And the whole Side One of Electric Flag is killer. Thanks for the link
Go to Top of Page

Gill
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2004 :  19:53:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lizzy and I have many of the same albums - I too have Rock Machine Turns You On, and the follow up Rock Machine I Love You. I played those records to death because I couldn't afford to buy full albums by most of the artists featured so that was all I had. Oh happy days!

Love
Gill
Go to Top of Page

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2004 :  21:31:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you remember Gutbucket as well ?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page