Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Sitting on the hillside location

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BobbyFischer Posted - 28/08/2004 : 22:27:34
Does anyone know the address(or at least street)Arthur went to live when he moved from the Castle late 66?Both Lookout mountain road and Mullholland drive have been claimed from different bio sources.Ive also read somewhere that his hillside house was the location for the 67 movie The trip.Is that true?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Loov Posted - 07/05/2005 : 20:04:25
Wouldn't that include making sure your band gets paid?

Loov
bigrubberglove Posted - 03/05/2005 : 18:03:38
the snoopy interview is fascinating. He has spot on taste in music and shows that Arthur could be a nice guy but that when it came to music he meany business 100%.
Loov Posted - 02/05/2005 : 18:01:45
I lived down the hill from the castle, which was known as the Rock Castle then. Not fashionable as a hippie neighborhood, kind of surprising it thrived in the relatively conservative environs of Los Feliz at the time.

Loov
Fingaz Posted - 21/04/2005 : 12:37:55
This is probably on Torben's site but here's an interview with Snoopy

http://www.birthdaybiff.co.uk/sandydenny/al/snoopy%20in%20love.htm
Fingaz Posted - 21/04/2005 : 12:34:08
Hey Allan Scroll down to Forssi. Not sure if it's the same Ken but the dates and location correspond.

http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/fl/leon/vitals/deaths/1997td.txt
pieman Posted - 21/04/2005 : 01:26:09
i thought some of the movie ,"the trip" was filmed at the san souci temple which was locate on ardmore avenue south of olympic blvd....i still recall going to some acid bashes during my days with green power....
i helped focalize the love-ins at griffith park back then...it sure gets lonesome all those years later.....
aron pieman kay
http://www.pieman.org

quote:
Originally posted by Allan

Hi Bobby. I'm probably a little different than most of the members here, as I have a genuine interest in more than just Arthur...I try to dig up as much as I can about all the original LOVE members. It's very difficult finding this info, but I do find tid-bits from time to time. I have a particular interest in Forssi-if you have any info, articles or pics of him, please let me know.

The Trip. I have not ever seen this movie, but I would sure love to.

From what I've been able to research, I think The Trip was either filmed at Harry Houdini's old house (Zappa lived there), or possibly (maybe probably) was filmed at Arthur's residence on Blue Jay Way, after The Castle. I believe The Castle was on Look Out Mountain. In 1970, I lived in Laurel Canyon for 5 months. I lived on Wonderland, right next door to Carole King. If you drive on Wonderland going up, Look Out would be on the top of Laurel Canyon. I spent several days on Look Out back then, meeting all kinds of interesting people.

I may be wrong with this info...so if anyone else knows differently, please chime in

If you're interested in the LA scene during the 60's, I recommend this site. It's loaded with tremendous information and plenty of pics. Look for Trulees pics. There's a neat pic of Echols and Maclean, and I'm in e-mail contact with the author of the site, giving her positive ID of that pic

http://hollywoodhangover.com/index.html

Lizzyb Posted - 25/09/2004 : 23:51:26
gimmee dat harp boy
and.... can blue men sing the whites

also the son of ... hell what good stuff, i have them somewhere.

sorry, this is tracking back to the top of this page - gutbucket

http://home.clara.net/fil/rocksamplers/liberty-ua

Keep on shining
Allan Posted - 25/09/2004 : 21:08:21
I know that most of you don't care about this, however I guess I must be obsessive/compulsive or anal retentive or something like that. But I think I finally have this figured out.

Early on in the band's days, Arthur lived at his house with his mom. The band members lived near-by.

The pics on the cover of LOVE's first LP (S/T), and DaCapo, and Electra Masters of the stone fireplace/smokestack is from Houdini's Mansion. Look at this link...

http://www.autowitch.org/?q=node/view/1199

Look familiar. I think it does. This was Houdini's burned down mansion, which became the Walker Mansion after Houdini's death. It burned down in 1959.

LOVE lived at The Castle. See Torben's post on Page 1. The Castle is also Bela Lugosi's house. Here's the link.

http://love.torbenskott.dk/thecastle2003.asp

The movie "The Trip" was filmed at The Castle. It was also known as The Psychedelic Temple. I have this film on VHS now, and the opening scenes show The Castle from the outside. I've compared it several times to Torben's link, and I'm clear as mud on this

If anyone has this movie, there are plenty of scenes of what The Castle looked like inside. The Psychedelic motif that's used in the film is definitely 60's 'far out, neat, hip, and groovy' [Bobby Sherman-where are you? ]. It is also rumored that Arthur spent some of his free time feeding pigeons at The Castle, along with also keeping his dog, named Self. I think LOVE lived in The Castle until they broke up.

Blue Jay Way must have come after the break-up. Perhaps the new group for Four Sail lived on Blue Jay Way. Maybe I'm speculating on that one

Special thanks goes out to Jim for his help. I think I've burned him out with my outrageous number of e-mails about this topic. Jim is so patient. He proivided links... which provided links, and so on, and so on, etc.
oldfartatplay Posted - 22/09/2004 : 01:30:10
Hi Allan - I can't recall Toefat's music as being life-changing,but the combination of a gross,but memorable band name,and a classic bizarre album cover will always ensure them a mention when older heads get together to wax lyrical.I'm pretty sure that the cover art is another of the Hypgnosis(of Pink Floyd fame)classics - they always had an eye for those mind-boggling covers that would stick in the (expanded?) mind for quite some time.God only knows how many psychedelic troopers had a bad day at the office after confronting that cover in an 'adjusted'state of mind!Another memorable cover that the Hypgnosis crew produced was for the Edgar Broughton Band's 'Town and Country' album, which was based on those magic wallets where you could make a banknote appear,or disappear by simply folding the wallet back on itself.For that cover the band are at one time standing in a typical English rural setting,but with a flick of the gatefold,are posed under the Westway in the urban sprawl of London.Nostalgia may not be what it used to be,but I do miss the scale and real presence of the classic album designs.It's perhaps no coincidence that my eyesight started to go a bit on the blink around the time that CD's really took over - or am I just looking at the past through rose-tinted Roger McGuinn style spectacles?
Allan Posted - 20/09/2004 : 14:28:19
oldfartatplay...[jeez-I'm squeamish about using that name LOL]. I have a Toefat LP. It's the one with a pic of a big toe for a head of a person on the cover. I saw them one time, way back when. I haven't heard this LP in quite a while...I'll put it atop the pile to play.
LarryNYC Posted - 20/09/2004 : 10:02:54
Sorry Oldfart 77 lol
LarryNYC Posted - 20/09/2004 : 10:01:38
Never saw Toefat Oldfart but saw Shanghia, they were supporting the Animals at the Roundhouse, that was the first time I met Mick Green and told him Johnny Kid and the Pirates was the first pro band I ever saw. They were supporting Jerry Lee Lewis at the Sofia Gdns Cardiff.
Shanghia were brilliant Cliff Bennett in fine form, wish I still had a copy of Fallen Heroes.
A few months after that gig I helped Mick reform the Pirates, 67 I think
oldfartatplay Posted - 20/09/2004 : 01:04:33
Hi Larry - 'Gutbucket'BeeeJezusss!!We've got a case of transatlantic ESP here me thinks.Yesterday, I spent the day holding the fort at a friend's record shop,and during a lull was browsing through boxes of vinyl artefacts from a fine collection that he is sorting.Lo,and behold! - there was a copy of same album,it's name and cover providing much amusement to my daughter,who was already tiring of my whoops of delight as yet another pearl emerged from the boxes.Sadly,the guy whose albums these are is very ill,and is having to let his lifetime collection go.He had a complete set of John Mayall's albums(all mint),amongst a collection that took in early Blues,Jazz,Folk,Psychedelia,Soul etc right up to the present day.What with the Ramones blasting out in all their glory,it was a somewhat emotional day.Particularly when I discovered that my friend was selling the Rhino 'Love Story'CD Box Set for only a few pounds,and I'd paid over thirty pounds for my copy on import!Needless to say I've brought it again as a present for someone in need of enlightenment.Gutbucket!Now who remembers 'Toefat'?
Allan Posted - 19/09/2004 : 22:55:24
Tina- I really like-"Where is Yesterday"
Tina Posted - 19/09/2004 : 22:16:46
I seem to recollect that Gutbucket had some Captain Beefheart on it.

"I wouldn't leave my wooden wife for you, sugar" by the United States of America was a particular favourite of mine.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page