Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Neil Young: "I DonÕt Feel Old..." rock on, Neil..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2016 :  19:40:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil Young: ÔI DonÕt Feel Like IÕve Got a Lot of
Years, But I Don't Feel OldÕ

by Lyndsey Parker / 22 hours ago / yahoo news
5/31/2016

This October, six revered rock legends Ñ Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, the Who, Roger Waters, Bob Dylan, and Neil Young Ñ will join forces for the historical Desert Trip festival, held on the Coachella grounds in Indio, Calif. It will no doubt be a historic, once-in-a-lifetime event Ñ especially in light of the fact that the music world has recently lost many greats weÕll never have the privilege to see in concert again (David Bowie, Prince, Lemmy Kilmister of Motorhead, Merle Haggard, Glenn Frey, et al). However, despite the excitement surrounding Desert Trip Ñ tickets for both weekends sold out in three hours Ñ the festival has also been the butt of many ageist jokes. Snarky detractors have dubbed it ÒOldchellaÓ or have cracked wise that the only drugs that graying concertgoers will attempt to smuggle past security are Lipitor and Boniva.

But Young, who at age 70 is actually the billÕs youngest performer (Dylan, at 75, is the eldest), isnÕt bothered.

ÒFrom where I stand, I feel pretty strong. I donÕt feel like IÕve got a lot of years, but I donÕt feel old,Ó he tells Yahoo Music. ÒAnd I donÕt feel fatigued about what IÕm doing and about who IÕm playing with.Ó

Young is referring to Promise of the Real, the band led by Willie NelsonÕs son, Lukas Nelson, and featuring LukasÕs brother Micah. POTR, whom Young describes as having Òno fear Ð zero fear,Ó backed Young last year on his 36th studio album, The Monsanto Years, and theyÕll join him onstage at Desert Trip for what is sure to be one of the festivalÕs most high-energy sets. ÒWeÕre gonna go there and rock out!Ó is YoungÕs only agenda for their Saturday show alongside McCartney. ÒWe have no plans for what weÕre gonna play, and we wonÕt know what weÕre gonna play until we walk out there. And we donÕt know how long the songs are gonna be, and we donÕt know whether were gonna play acoustic at all or whether weÕre just gonna play electric. We donÕt know what weÕre going to do at all Ñ and we donÕt care. Because we never know.Ó

Perhaps fans will get a taste of what YoungÕs freeform Desert Trip concert will be like via Earth, his new live album with POTR, out June 24. A thematic continuation of The Monsanto Years (his 2015 concept album protesting agrochemical/agricultural biotech giant corporation Monsanto), Earth is a sprawling, trippy, and ÒmeditativeÓ work that clocks in at over an hour and half, with each of the 13 tracks segueing seamlessly into each other. ItÕs an atypical concert album, but a true ÒliveÓ album, with ambient overdubs of real animal sounds Ñ many recorded near YoungÕs Northern California home Ñ weaving in and out of the music. (ÒI just started to sprinkle them into the audience because it was a live show, and I thought they deserved to be there too. And they fit really well!Ó)

Young describes Earth as an Òear movieÓ and says, ÒItÕs kind of a lost art, the concept album. ThereÕs really no need for that in todayÕs civilization Ñ except for me. I feel that I needed to do it.Ó As for whether todayÕs music buyers have the patience for a 98-minute experimental live album (featuring one epic track, ÒLove & Only Love,Ó thatÕs nearly a half-hour long), he shrugs: ÒIt doesnÕt really matter. The thing is, we make the record, we do what we do, we create the art, we finish the thing, we feel good about what weÕve done Ñ and we move on. ThatÕs what matters. É IÕm not really a commercial success, in as much as, you know, I donÕt sell millions of records. I have done all of these things, but now itÕs more important for me to just do what I want to do. ItÕs more important that art live, and that the expression happens, than anything else.Ó

Related: The Quality of Streaming: Was Neil Young Right?

Earth is, of course, not available on iTunes. In fact, any journalists wanting to interview Young about the album were required to listen to it first on a Pono, the high-resolution audio player and accompanying digital music service that Young founded in 2014 with the goal of presenting music as the artists intended. ÒThe whole thing of iTunes saying what you can do and what you canÕt do is so counter-art. It is so against everything that I believe in that I canÕt sell my music that way. É ThereÕs nothing there. ThereÕs no music there. ItÕs all about selling things. ItÕs about commercials or whatever. It doesnÕt have to do with music the way I like music to be,Ó Young grumbles. ÒI canÕt sell my music there, I canÕt rent it there, and I canÕt present it there. If somebody wants to rip my music and put it on any device, theyÕre welcome to do that. I just donÕt want to charge for it.Ó

Young isnÕt just taking a stand against iTunes; Monsanto remains a prime target. While he has always tackled sociopolitical subject matter in some of his most famous songs (ÒOhio,Ó ÒSouthern Man,Ó ÒThis NoteÕs for You,Ó ÒRockinÕ in the Free WorldÓ), protest has now become his sole lyrical focus. ÒI can only sing Ôooh babyÕ so many times, and then I have to sing about something else,Ó he explains.

ÒYouÕre certainly not going to hear about [GMOs] on the news stations. É You donÕt hear about the Monsanto problems on mainstream media, just like you donÕt hear about Bernie Sanders in mainstream media,Ó Young says. (Being Canadian, Young canÕt vote in this presidential election, but says heÕs ÒBernie Sanders all the wayÓ and steadfastly believes that Sanders is Òstanding up for regular peopleÓ and really Òcould win.Ó)

ÒYou know, certain things are corporate-controlled. WeÕve come to accept a democracy thatÕs really a ÔcorporocracyÕ or something. ItÕs not really democracy,Ó Young continues. ÒBecause itÕs controlled, paid for, and manipulated by corporations. É Corporations arenÕt people. They donÕt have consciences and they donÕt have children. É I canÕt ignore that, and I have nothing to gain from ignoring it.Ó

When many other classic rock artists YoungÕs age are resting on their laurels, Young admirably continues to push boundaries and take risks Ñ sonically and politically. So what keeps him so energized? ÒI donÕt have any laurels! My laurels are all missing. TheyÕve relaxed,Ó he laughs. ÒI donÕt know, I just keep going É Õcause itÕs fun.Ó

Listen to Neil in the interviews....
https://www.yahoo.com/music/neil-young-i-dont-feel-like-ive-got-a-lot-of-175953030.html

The actual writing of a song usually comes in the form of a realisation.
I can't contrive a song. Ð GENE CLARK

Edited by - lemonade kid on 01/06/2016 19:46:30

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2016 :  19:43:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New Neil Young and Promise of the Real album, ÒEarthÓ
http://stillisstillmoving.com

EARTH
...hearing this record, its hard not to realize that music is actually all around us all the time; one only needs to stop and listen.

http://ecowatch.com

Young described his latest project on social media:

We made a live record and every creature on the planet seemed to show up. Suddenly all the living things of Earth were in the audience going crazy. Then they took over the stage, letting their wild sounds mingle with the Vanilla Singers perfect corporate harmony. EarthÕs creatures let loose, there were Bee breakdowns, Bird breakdowns and yes, even Wall Street breakdowns, jamming with me and Promise of the Real! The show was non stop bliss for 98 minutes, no breaks. EARTH does not fit on iTunes. It breaks all their rules (and couldnÕt all really be heard that way anyway) No one who was there will ever forget the love, wonder and beautiful madness of EARTH. I know I wonÕt. Neil

EARTH consists of recordings from YoungÕs tour last year with the band Promise Of The Real for his preceding album, The Monsanto Years. AlterNet described YoungÕs 36th studio album, as a Òconcept-based criticismÓ of Monsanto, the worldÕs biggest seed company, and also a condemnation of other multinational agriculture giants like Syngenta, Dow, Dupont and Bayer that have also, like Monsanto, Ògarnered control of global seed production.Ó

Promise Of The Real guitarist Lukas Nelson lauded the new LP. ÒI just listened to our new record EARTH with Neil Young É One of the single greatest audio experiences IÕve ever had,Ó he wrote on Instagram.

The world premiere of EARTH will be hosted by the Natural History Museum in Los Angeles on May 6. And, according to anannouncement about the event, itÕs sure to be spectacular:

Against the backdrop of the MuseumÕs blossoming outdoor Nature Gardens, musician and icon Neil Young will present the first public playback of his upcoming release, EARTH, in its entirety in Pono high definition fidelity audio, before its June 17 release. The album features ÒAfter the Gold Rush,Ó ÒVampire Blues,Ó and an explosive 29-minute version of ÒLove & Only Love,Ó and includes some unexpected accompanimentÑthe sounds of many different kinds of wildlife.

The Grammy Award-winning artist and environmental crusader said in a press release that EARTH Òflows as a collection of 13 songs from throughout my life, songs I have written about living here on our planet together. Our animal kingdom is well represented in the audience as well, and the animals, insects, birds, and mammals actually take over the performances of the songs at times.Ó

Young also told Rolling Stone last year that EARTH is Òlike nothing that IÕve done. ItÕs more like a giant radio show.Ó

ÒIt has no stops,Ó he continued. ÒThe songs are too long for iTunes, thank God, so they wonÕt be on iTunes. IÕm making it available in the formats that can handle it É Imagine itÕs a live show where the audience is full of every living thing on Earth. And also they overtake the music once in a while and play the instruments. ItÕs not conventional, but it is based on live performance.Ó

On Tuesday, Young kicked off his 2016 world tour with Promise Of The Real in New Braunfels, Texas with guest star and legendary rocker Willie Nelson.

The tour then stopped by Nashville, TexasÕs Ascend Amphitheater yesterday. The concert received rave reviews from local publication, The Tennesseean:

At 70 years old, the rock icon hasnÕt lost a step. His voice is still in fine form, and the audience sang along reverently to every word of classics like ÒHeart of GoldÓ and ÒLong May You Run.Ó After an opening set from singer-songwriter Steve Earle (whose debut album ÒGuitar TownÓ turned 30 this year) and half a dozen of his own solo songs, Young brought out his backing band Promise of the Real: Five rootsy rockers including Willie NelsonÕs sons, Lukas and Micah NelsonÑand played another 90 minutes.

The actual writing of a song usually comes in the form of a realisation.
I can't contrive a song. Ð GENE CLARK

Edited by - lemonade kid on 01/06/2016 19:44:12
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page