New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2016 :  22:22:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beyond ego, legend and myth...David is undeniably one of the greatest singer/songwriters of his era or any era...myths debunked, stories told. Quite enjoyable.

And of course, the infamous Airplane manager (and Moby Grape's, among other bands he left in his wake) Matthew Katz's name comes up, referred to as being a real a##hole in relation to an issue with Wooden Ships. Paul Kantner & Jefferson Airplane...

Stories and Songs from David Crosby
The Aspen Writers' Foundation's Lyrically Speaking Series, 2008.

CS&N did meet at Joni's house.

A very fine, fun and honest interview, and some nice music too...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1uUs-JT_kI&nohtml5=False

The actual writing of a song usually comes in the form of a realisation.
I can't contrive a song. Ð GENE CLARK

Edited by - lemonade kid on 12/04/2016 22:44:36

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2016 :  22:31:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A fine overview of what sounds like a fun & fine concert...

David Crosby Safe Energy Fundraiser
updated: Mar 29, 2016, 9:26 PM
By Robert Bernstein

David Crosby performed a fundraiser concert at the Granada Theater on March 22.

Here are my photos as well as VIP reception photos from Kim Byrnes Photography. Courtesy of the World Business Academy.

The event was sponsored by the World Business Academy (WBA) to raise money for their Safe Energy Project. The WBA claims that the Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant creates a down wind zone of increased cancer and other negative health effects. Strontium 90 is claimed to be the cause. They want to prevent the plant from receiving a renewal license.

But they also want to promote sustainable, renewable energy. Their goal is to create a micro-grid for the Santa Barbara area. It would be powered by renewable sources such as solar and wind. And it would protect our electric power in the case of the fragile main grid power lines failing in an earthquake, flood or fire. The money raised at this event will go toward the logistics of setting up this renewable micro grid.

Below are notes I took in the dark during the concert! They are a bit cryptic and unedited, but I hope some people will find some treasures in there!

I have highlighted the titles of songs David Crosby performed. The rest are his comments and/or my observations!

Started right on time at 7:30

"Tracks in the Dust"

I am an irresponsible person

"The Lee Shore"

I write weird sh-t in strange tunings.

"Naked In The Rain"

Rumors of his psychedelic era. Watching a weird guy. He appeared as an Indian Chief. Changed. Weird colors. Seeing his past lives. Like flipping through book pages.

He likes Joni Mitchell

Jango is his son

"He Played Real Good For Free Lyrics"

Keyboard players are snotty

You grow up. You have kids. You treasure them. They get smart. You try to answer their questions. They ask about Trump. WTF? How am I going to explain it?

The next song reputedly got me thrown out of the Byrds. Not true. Just that I am an a--hole.

This song is really just a love song.

"Triad"

It involves him and two women. In fact, he has been happily married to his wife Jan for 39 years. Not common in this industry.

"Thousand Roads"

He says he has friends here. From the World Business Academy. They want to build a micro-grid for Santa Barbara. From renewable energy.

The Diablo Canyon nuclear plant must be closed. It was built on earthquake faults. It produces waste with no place to put it. And it is a terrorist target. He is a pilot and knows how easy it would be to fly a small plane over it.

Crosby noted his first job was as an usher here in the Granada Theater! He introduces John Gonzales who brings out an endless stream of guitars for him.

The next two songs are a question and an answer

"Where Will I Be?" is the question

"Page 43" is the answer

"Carry Me"

It was now 8:30PM. He said he normally would go out and smoke a joint at this point. He used to think that would make him perform better. He realized it had the opposite effect. So, he will just go out and get some fresh air!

He had to watch "Psycho" 13 times. Not his kind of movie.

His song writing start was with the Byrds.

"Everybody's Been Burned"

Nobody else has to explain their songs. Not even Bob!

When Bob Dylan met Crosby's wife Jan, Bob kissed Jan's hand.

Dylan wanted Crosby to play along with him on a recording. But he would not let Crosby hear the song or know anything about it first! Crosby insisted. Dylan played it. But when it came time to record, Crosby swears it was a different song!

"Rusty and Blue"

Crosby likes that the words just come to him. That he can do it all by himself. Otherwise you are duking it out with the bass player, etc.

Suddenly, he says, "Let's talk politics!" He said he has a low opinion of most people in politics. Surprisingly, he said he liked Eisenhower.

Someone shouts out "Bernie". He said he likes Bernie Sanders! He likes that Bernie is feisty.

He said he is not fond of either party. He said it is time for a woman president. He thinks a woman president would allocate more money for schools.

But he never actually said he endorsed Hillary and never said her name. In person at the VIP reception he told me he is 100% for Bernie Sanders! It seems the "woman president" thing was a more vague, longer term desire.

Crosby liked that Eisenhower warned of the power of the Military Industrial Complex. As a military general, he knew. The military suppliers buy Congress. Congress starts the wars that give them the money for their next campaigns.

He wrote a song about this. "It did no F-ing good!"

But he went ahead and sang it: "What Are Their Names"

They hate it when you vote. They want you stupid, buying things.

He noted that many of his songs talk of "dreams". Funny thing is he can't actually remember his own dreams.

"In My Dreams"

He said his life is all about family and songs.

His new album is called "Lighthouse". He played a bit from that.

He remembered back to when he went to England with the Byrds. He was so thrilled to meet the Beatles. And the Beatles were very kind to them. Crosby especially connected with George. He gave George a Ravi Shankar album. George told Crosby later that this simple act led to the Beatles becoming so interested in India. To them going there and adopting Indian music into their own music.

Crosby was honored that he had such an impact. But he wondered about the whole guru thing. He wanted to repeat the Bob Dylan line, "Don't follow leaders. Watch the parkin' meters."

He realized that he had not sung many songs most of the crowd would know. He then sang "Deja Vu" which was indeed the first song I recognized! This was almost two hours into the concert!

He talked about his affair with Joni Mitchell. He said it was turbulent. Like falling into a cement mixer. He repeated again how happy he has been to be with his wife Jan now for 39 years.

He then played "Guinnevere" which he says he regularly sings to Jan.

After two hours, he still came back for a short encore of two songs.

One song many people think is about a train robbery. He said it is actually about the breakup of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

And his finale was "Cowboy Movie".

Edited by - lemonade kid on 12/04/2016 22:46:41
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2016 :  00:22:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wonder how David felt about Nash's book!
Go to Top of Page

BobbyFischer
Fifth Love

Norway
440 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2016 :  19:27:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love how active he is on Twitter,23000(!!) tweets since he registered in 2011! One of my top 5 favourite I follow on twitter, answers so many fan questions. But I was a little disappointed from one of his answers to user Tom womb-bat recently on 13 of april: @thedavidcrosby did u ever meet Arthur Lee? Do you like Love? Wait wasn't Bryan Maclean a roadie for the Jet Set/Byrds? Crosby: Yes , only a little , and yes

Only a little???! O well

Edited by - BobbyFischer on 16/04/2016 19:32:46
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2016 :  14:35:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobbyFischer

Love how active he is on Twitter,23000(!!) tweets since he registered in 2011! One of my top 5 favourite I follow on twitter, answers so many fan questions. But I was a little disappointed from one of his answers to user Tom womb-bat recently on 13 of april: @thedavidcrosby did u ever meet Arthur Lee? Do you like Love? Wait wasn't Bryan Maclean a roadie for the Jet Set/Byrds? Crosby: Yes , only a little , and yes

Only a little???! O well

I guess in the scheme of things (and many decades later) one could imagine that Bryan was there for only "a little". The times and Croz's ego back in the day would have likely made Bryan a very small player in the daze of The Byrds.

Good to hear how responsive David is..he has mellowed quite a bit over the years and seems very grateful to his fans and seems more humble about his tremendous success (and talent).

Edited by - lemonade kid on 18/04/2016 14:38:07
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page