Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gordo
Third Love

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2005 :  10:23:50  Show Profile  Visit gordo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
an official Big Star site is in progress of being constructed.

http://www.bigstarband.com/

there are 30 second samples of all the new songs to download
Go to Top of Page

gordo
Third Love

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  10:56:09  Show Profile  Visit gordo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it seems that since the floods caused by hurricaine Kartrina nobody has heard from Alex Chilton.

The last contact anybody had from him was on Monday after the hurricaine hit but before the floods came.

this quote was taken from a friend of his on the Posies messageboard

quote:
I've been in touch with Jody all week and was aware of what Jody knows. What I was unsure of was whether Jon had heard something else from other sources. Jody knew that Alex was ok Monday from the winds because we learned of a friend who talked to him Monday afternoon. But though he was ok Monday, then the phone lines went dead and the flooding began, so there's been no way for him to call anyone and there were new dangers other than the initial storm.

At this point all you have to do is look on the tv to see what the dangers are. No food, no water, dysentery, cholera, people becoming sick and dehydrated, very hot. We were assuming he would be ok before. At this point his situation is dire. I hope someone gets him out like they got Fats Domino out. I'm terrified for him at this point after seeing the situation on tv. I maybe tried to calm Jody and Alex's sister more than we should be calm about it; on the other hand, thousands of other people are in this same situation. It's horrifying. He *was* ok Monday. But there's no reason to assume he is still fine and not getting sick or out of food and water. I hope someone can get him located or that he will be spotted by someone. I don't know what sort of public posting it would take to get him found. I'm sorry I have talked so long on Jon's message board. I imagine alex wouldn't like me making a to-do about him but at this point I'm worried for his life.

-lisa

I would think that the chances are that he is OK, and with the phone lines down it could be days before he makes contact with anybody.
Go to Top of Page

steve64
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  17:03:34  Show Profile  Visit steve64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hope he made it out ok!

hey ho! lets go!
Go to Top of Page

gordo
Third Love

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  13:04:09  Show Profile  Visit gordo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this appeared on Alex Chilton's yahoo group

quote:
I am Patrick Mathe, friend and french record label of Alex.
> My friend Florent Mazzoleni, a french journalist who is also Alex'
> friend called Molly's bar on Decatur, following a post on the Nola
> missing persons board,
> The manager of Molly's confirmed that Alex was at his bar on
WEDNESDAY,
> and was talking about leaving town. Can anyone in New Orleans double
> check.If this is verified, it obviously means that Alex is alive and
> safe , the only question is where.
> I can't wait until this great news can be verified and confirmed

there's still no official confirmation but it seems likely the news will be that he's ok
Go to Top of Page

gordo
Third Love

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  12:34:35  Show Profile  Visit gordo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it's official, he is safe

Now for the bad news,

the earliest you can expect any mini-Big Star tour is June 2006
Go to Top of Page

oldfartatplay
Third Love

74 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  00:12:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Posies are playing Portsmouth's Wedgewood Rooms on Sunday November 6th,but I don't know any other dates as yet.Oz's mighty 'Dirty Three' are also playing the same venue a couple of days later,so it could be an expensive week!
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  00:53:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the European dates for the Posies are up at

http://www.theposies.net/tour.htm
Go to Top of Page

gordo
Third Love

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  13:48:04  Show Profile  Visit gordo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm off to the Cambridge & Northampton dates and waiting to see if there are any London dates.
Go to Top of Page

gordo
Third Love

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  12:23:44  Show Profile  Visit gordo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
rykodisc have put together a Big Star e-card at this link.

http://www.rykodisc-media.com/bigstar/

you can listen to 3 complete songs off the new album

Go to Top of Page

steve64
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  13:27:01  Show Profile  Visit steve64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great news that Alex is safe..looking forward to hearing the new album.. saw Big Star play in London at The Clapham Grand in the early 90's...

hey ho! lets go!
Go to Top of Page

Bobinbed
Fourth Love

Sweden
106 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  18:59:17  Show Profile  Visit Bobinbed's Homepage  Send Bobinbed a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link Gordo! GREAT stuff. Gotta have that album.

~Gravity is not responsible for people falling in love~
Go to Top of Page

riverman
First Love

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  04:42:07  Show Profile  Visit riverman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gordo

it's Alex Chilton and Jody Stephens from the original line-up along with The Posies' Jon Auer and Ken Stringfellow who've been helping out since the early 90's

there was live album in 1993 called Columbia: Live at Missouri University which got good reviews at the time that features the same line-up

That album was actually really good but got little airplay and the record label did not even publicice it. And i believe that lineup was the same one that was on the Leno show a couple years ago.

kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight
Go to Top of Page

gordo
Third Love

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  10:58:36  Show Profile  Visit gordo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok BIG STAR TOUR NEWS

2 dates confirmed so far

2/21 Big Star @ Tivoli, Utrecht NETHERLANDS
2/22 Big Star @ De Handelsbeurs, Gent BELGIUM

There will probably be 2 more European dates announced soon. Allegedly Jon Auer told a swedish fan that they would be playing Stockholm

keeping my fingers crossed for London
Go to Top of Page

gordo
Third Love

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  11:41:25  Show Profile  Visit gordo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok these are the confirmed Big Star dates

02.19.06 Stockholm, Sweden - Berns
02.21.06 Utrecht, The Netherlands - Tivoli
02.22.06 Gent, Belgium - De Handelsbeurs

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page