Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2005 :  19:24:53  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just like to recommend this lot, so young but so talented..especially if you like a nice '60's influenced' harmony..some have said they are like the 'Mamas and the Papas' but I think they are a little heavier than that (I think I may be asking for a joke here)
Anyway, check them out
http://www.themagicnumbers.net/#

Aake
Fourth Love

Sweden
112 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2005 :  08:48:53  Show Profile  Visit Aake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes, this band is on my playlist ATM along with latest album's from.. LA's Rilo Kiley,Teenage Fanclub,Kaiser Cheifs and Primary 5

youhoo
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2005 :  13:05:20  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Always a man with good taste, Aake
Go to Top of Page

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2005 :  20:14:49  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
on LATER tonight in UK

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2005 :  02:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw. I liked. A big thumbs up.

You can't beat a good pie...
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2005 :  10:03:38  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeP

I saw. I liked. A big thumbs up.

You can't beat a good pie...

Sadly, I didn't see...I tried but after a long day at work it seems the first 'Coldplay' track sent me to sleep....I remember the start of their song but when I woke up it was nearly morning and there was a documentary about healthcare in the 1930's on!! lol
Still, glad you liked them Mike, they are touring the UK in the autumn (check my previous link) I bought my tickets yesterday.
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2005 :  13:44:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw them too on later, they were very excellent!
Go to Top of Page

John E
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2005 :  22:40:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep hearing good things about these guys. I look forward to seeing them supporting Brian Wilson on some of his forthcoming shows.
Love, John E
Go to Top of Page

Martin Pravda
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2005 :  22:55:17  Show Profile  Visit Martin Pravda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I find them fairly boring myself. I think there is a lot better new music about, its just not talked about in the media! Try Arcade Fire for instance. A much better alternative I say!
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2005 :  15:04:07  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Martin Pravda

I find them fairly boring myself. I think there is a lot better new music about, its just not talked about in the media! Try Arcade Fire for instance. A much better alternative I say!

Oh well, two out of three aint bad....after agreeing with you on BSP and Syd Barett can't agree here...bought the Arcade Fire CD after several people telling me how good it was and just found it very average. Now they are certainly being talked about by the media (all over the place) but to me just sound like everthing I've heard before...it's not bad but doesn't set me alight either. The Magic Numbers are also not original but, with the warm days, I like the laid back, mellow vibe
Go to Top of Page

Martin Pravda
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2005 :  15:33:29  Show Profile  Visit Martin Pravda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Haha yeah, that is a good point actualy. Arcade Fire are very hyped. But I think its one of those records that really grows on the listener. I have only heard a couple of Magic Numbers tracks to be fair, I may give them more of a listen.
Im mostly listening to modern Prog/Post Rock at the moment. Such as Redjetson, Youthmovie Soundtrack Stratagies, 65days of Static, Hope of the states ect. Thats the sort I music I personaly think should be getting more attention.
http://www.redjetson.co.uk/HTML/MEDIA/stay_comfortable.mp3 Try this Free redjetson download (off there website) if you havn't heard them. The singer has a Jim Morrison thing about him :-)

Edited by - Martin Pravda on 19/06/2005 15:44:32
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2005 :  19:27:20  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm an 'old punk' (I was 15 in 1977) so the term 'prog rock' scares me to death....it makes me think of Rick Wakemen and that's worrying
Still, in 1977, I never thought I'd buy a Robert Plant record and I've done that, and seen him live, a few times and enjoyed it...so who knows?
Go to Top of Page

Martin Pravda
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2005 :  21:58:23  Show Profile  Visit Martin Pravda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Haha, you should give it a go, its not really prog as in Genisis and that crap, its more post punk stuff like Joy division/wire/ pere ubu influence. But with a lot more going on with the guitars ect. See what you think!
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2005 :  01:59:59  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Martin Pravda

Haha, you should give it a go, its not really prog as in Genisis and that crap, its more post punk stuff like Joy division/wire/ pere ubu influence. But with a lot more going on with the guitars ect. See what you think!

Now Joy Division/Wire/Pere Ubu are all bands I have loved (and still do)..but can't see where the term 'prog' comes into any of that?
Go to Top of Page

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2005 :  03:10:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sadly I can't get into either of these. ones too light the other is too miserable for my taste. I would just love to hear something new that I could really get into. Maybe next time eh ?
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2005 :  08:16:45  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The thing is Larry I find it great to be able to listen to a wide variety of music...there is nothing more dull than these people who will only listen to music of a certain age or genre (ie 'I only listen to the music of the 60's', is a phrase I hear often or 'I only like jazz' lol) For me I listen according to my mood at the time...there is lots of good music around...sadly very little of it gets much publicity because that 'corporate machine' you have talked about elsewhere keeps on pushing out crap.
I'm sure, somewhere, there is lots of great new music that you will like, sadly, it's not easy to sort the 'wheat from the chaff' at times
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page