Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2014 :  16:33:29  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So here we all are again. Those that remember that is . Wednesday 8th of May 1974. 40 years ago today was the first gig of the 1974 tour with Arthur and Love . Bristol England. Colston Hall with Casablanca. My first gig as road crew to Love and Casablanca. Thanks to Outlook wiping all my contacts I used to have on Hotmail I have not been on here for some time. No longer receiving updates with what is happening on here. So anybody that remembers the tour with any memories good or bad . There used to be a colour photo on here of Arthur at Dingwalls, Camden Lock in London on 22nd May 1974 In one of the set I am backstage off at the side in the picture and other shots have pictures of my arms or me very out of focus . Now some seem to have been taken down by owner of the rights to the pictures possibly so can no longer see all of them. That was the night someone got up from the audience and punched Arthur but as I have said before he was so high it did not really affect him and he did the Rainbow London gig the next night with no ill effects as can be heard from the tape recording I made and most people on here have heard now probably. Hope everybody on here is surviving ok as well as the surviving guys in the band. Joe and John and Melvan and the people that remember the gigs on that tour 40 years ago today. Still does not seem that long ago. RIP Arthur and Robert and all the other good guys we lost over the years
Harvey the Roadie

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2014 :  17:47:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to hear from you again, Harvey. A welcome voice we have missed here!

Cheers
lk

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2014 :  20:28:14  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi LK, yes the site does not send me emails any more when updates are added. Have put it as a favourite but does not seem to work so only log in when I remember or on an important date . When Hotmail changed to Outlook a lot of things seemed to disappear and do not seem to want to re-connect. Just stunned by the fact things started happening with Love 40 years ago this evening . I was 25 then, 65 and retired now. Lots of time to sit with memories and possibly fix the old Sony 366 so I can play the Rainbow tape again.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2014 :  21:18:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Good to hear from you again, Harvey - I remember how we used to discuss my not being allowed into the Speakeasy back in 1974 after I had scraped the cash together to come down from Leicester ....still I'm just about over that now....largely because Manchester 2003 was so memorable. Cheers.
Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2014 :  22:01:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was at the Colston Hall gig which was a bit of a shambles really.... 40 years ago today!
The 1975 tour was better and I saw 3 shows, recorded one, met all of the band and had a chat with the tour manager after the Birmingham show.
Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2014 :  22:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome back Harvey!
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2014 :  23:14:45  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot guys.. Nice to know that some of the people that were there are still around . As I have said before the first gig of the tour and never having met the band before the soundcheck and nobody having used the rig before. Not surprising it was a bit poor really but the support band Casablanca went down really well so I think the fact they were so well rehearsed as opposed to Arthur and Love who did not sound well rehearsed at all. The road crew had been working with Casablanca for some time so we knew their music quite well but I think we had just listened to a couple of records of Arthur and Love. The mics being plugged in wrong at the changeover may not have helped and the underpowered monitor system. But that is what happened all those years ago I do not think audiences would put up with the sound quality these days and the management would be all over the road crew these days if it did not sound right. And as for meeting the band , the way Arthur was in 74 he did not want to meet anyone and I think Bruce Riley knew that.
Lets hope we are all still here for the 50th anniversary
Harvey the Roadie
Go to Top of Page

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2014 :  04:52:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great stories harv,thx for sharing
Go to Top of Page

torben
Fifth Love

Denmark
328 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2014 :  15:12:13  Show Profile  Visit torben's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are some problems with emails about updates.
My serviceprovider has been banned at some mail providers, including Hotmail.
Hopefully they will sort it out
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2014 :  15:32:29  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the message Torben. Hopefully can sort it out
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2014 :  17:39:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All this talk of the 1974 tour stirs up some fond memories for me - especially of how when our music press broke the news, they initially promised that Bryan would be on board. And it allowed many of us to entertain the delusional prospect that Vindicator had been a mere aberration. Now that Arthur was using the name 'Love' once again, surely he and Bryan would rekindle the old magic and deliver if not Forever Changes 2, then at least something on a par with Four Sail or Out Here. Alas, such hopes proved forlorn - there was of course to be no Bryan and I remember reading a wholly unfavourable review of the Colston Hall gig that Harvey has mentioned. "What a dirge!" was the reporter's verdict on one previously unheard song. But then hasn't that always been Arthur...dangerously unpredictable at times, even in the early days. And I for one wouldn't have had it any other way.

Keep on rollin on

Edited by - John9 on 10/05/2014 17:40:16
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2014 :  19:04:01  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tonight was the Stirling University gig. It was held in a very large refectory with a stage made out of tables all tied together. Logan Davis one of the roadies found a red rose on one of the tables and fixed it to the microphone stand. The Melody Maker report later in the week mentioned the rose but did not really say much about the gig. It was 'one of those tours'. I thought the gig was quite good but I do not think the audience in Scotland really knew who Arthur was . The sound engineer managed to back the truck into an overhanging part of the building over the loading entrance and broke a few tiles off so afterwards we packed up as quickly as we could and drove back to the hotel. Hotel was all locked up when we got there and night porter did not speak much english. Got to bed about 3 am and had to drive about 80 miles to Dundee University next day. But at least in Stirling I did get served in a half decent restaurant as opposed to the usual 'we don't serve long haired gentlemen in here ' that was the usual attitude back then .
Harvey the Roadie
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2014 :  18:42:57  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tonight was the Dundee University gig . Joe was off somewhere so I sat on kit for soundcheck but only 2 verses , cannot remember which song . After the soundcheck some kid jumps on the stage and grabs Arthur's Guitar and starts pretending to play it. I tell him to put it down and throw him out backstage and tell security not to let him back in. Quarter of an hour later he is back in at front of stage again so I tell security to take him out and not let him back in again. He turns up again when show starts so have to keep an eye on him all evening . We went out to try and get some food at the local Fish and Chip shop. Nice people but you could not understand a word they said, very strong Scottish accents but when they found out we were with the band we got some free fish and chips. Show was good but audience nearly all students so may not have known who Arthur was and most were drunk . Good hotel, still open late. Next morning very long drive back to London for couple of days off.
Harvey the Roadie
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2014 :  19:13:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are there any of the 1974 songs you recorded on the new Black Beauty reissue? cos you might be owed money for that if you're the one who saw to doing that
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2014 :  22:39:36  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It would appear from info on the site that there were people recording at the gigs but the only recording I did was the one at Rainbow Theatre London on 23rd May 1974.
I will have to look into it.
Harvey the Roadie
Go to Top of Page

The Freedom Man
Old Love

Netherlands
553 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2014 :  10:27:51  Show Profile  Visit The Freedom Man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are three live tracks, but they are all from the Electric Gardens, Glascow, Scotland, May 30 1974
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page