Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2014 :  11:42:36  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I did look at the Black Beauty reissue and none were from my recordings. I remember the Electric Gardens, Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, Scotland gig on 30th May 1974. Asked someone in street where the club was and soon as he heard my English Accent he chased the truck down the street violently waving a shovel at it. During the soundcheck some girl asked me if I knew what Arthurs star sign was and when I asked Arthur he said he did not believe in all that s...t
Harvey the Roadie
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2014 :  19:36:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think there was actually an interview with you in an old issue of the Castle

would've been the issue covering the 74/75 tours .. I guess..

The Black Beauty period saw Arthur hanging out with Bryan and going to films with the rest of the band, with Arthur and Bryan providing a VERY witty commentary

An album between the two (Together after all these years?) would've been wonderful, but Bryan may have been committed to his faith by that point -
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2014 :  21:58:01  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
No , not me , I never gave any interviews. Could have been Logan Davis as he is the only one of the road crew left as the sound engineer died of an O/D a few weeks after the tour. Or it could have been the tour manager Bob Quinn or the personnel manager Jim James or maybe Bruce Riley who was Love's manager. I have just had one thought that maybe Arthur asked me to do the recording of the Rainbow gig was because everybody had been talking on the tour bus and I had done a couple of tapes of Casablanca the support band before so they may have told Arthur I had the equipment to do it. I never saw Arthur on the 75 tour so I do not know who was crewing for them then. I am pretty sure that Brian would have been able to see what state Arthur was in in 1974 and probably decided not to tour with him in that state.
Harvey the Roadie
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2014 :  15:00:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They were asking about I Do Wonder or something in the interview

Issue 7 of the Castle, probably, as that issue covered the 2nd and 3rd UK tours of 74 & 75
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2014 :  19:54:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

They were asking about I Do Wonder or something in the interview

Issue 7 of the Castle, probably, as that issue covered the 2nd and 3rd UK tours of 74 & 75

As I have The Castle in numerical order just a minute away from the computer dug out issue 7 and flicked through it while listening to sports commentary. Was Bruce Reilly (way they spell it), short interview Birmingham Town Hall May 2 1975, Page 80, doesn't say who with, maybe David Housden.

Mentions recording I Do Wonder, Happy Me Happy You and one other song at Record Plant.
Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2014 :  23:18:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that was my (short) interview.
Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2014 :  23:19:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that was my (short) interview.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2014 :  23:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it mentioned I Do Wonder didn't it? I think that's why I remember it

The issue also covered Loves Real to Reel, which I doubt will ever see reissue. I know High Moon were gonna put it out, but I can't imagine Black Beauty is selling too well. Ads for it in Mojo and other UK publications seems to have been YEARS ago

Its gotten good reviews on Amazon at least - even more than the Found Love - the Lost '71 Sessions, and that's been out for a year!

(It has C.F.I., curiously)
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2014 :  15:24:57  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So 14th May was a Tuesday. Barbarellas in Birmingham. Crew got a free chicken in basket dinner. From what I have read on here the gig was not very good and I think Arthur short setted and walked off. Not unusual for that tour. From what I remember it was not a very big club which is probably why Arthur was not happy. Easy gig for crew, London to Birmingham and back in one day ready for Speakeasy, Margaret Street, London tomorrow.
Harvey the Roadie
Go to Top of Page

Ashrob
Second Love

49 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2014 :  23:32:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've contributed about this gig before Harvey. It was a small club but there was still plenty of room. The band seemed keen to play but Arthur continually lifted the neck of his guitar bringing songs to a premature end. After a shortish set the crowd tried for an encore but a guy appeared from backstage and told us that Arthur says 'no way'.
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2014 :  17:56:36  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ashrob. I knew someone on here was there at Barbarellas. Tonight Wednesday 15th May was Love (no support) at the Speakeasy, Margery ( Margaret ?) Street, London. Terrible club to get into. Steep stairs to basement and narrow corridors, only just got bass bins in. Hot weather so club ice making machine was in constant use. Packed gig that night , lots of famous faces, Arthur not really very good, played full set and a couple of extras but everybody talking and shouting about so not really listening which Arthur did not like I think and stage was only a step so people joining in on stage . Lots of jumping about to DJ after set finished, went on most of the night. Had to leave equipment there as we were staying in a house a few minutes away and then had trouble getting back into club in the morning to get equipment out. Club closed in early eighties I think and Google street view shows building still there but converted to offices. Legendary club for many years but travelling any distance to get there if not a member could end in club reverting to members only access. It was really a club run by musicians for other musicians to hang out at and if not full they would let other people in. A lot of the time the bands appearing were completely out of it and so were the audience so a great time was had by all. Apart from the road crews that worked there all you got was bruised knuckles and had to pay for drinks etc. Those were the good days in London, streets deserted in evenings, could park most places for free, you could not run clubs like that these days. Too many restrictions, too much traffic 24hrs 7 days a week, too many parking and clamping companies trying to make a quick buck and environmental taxes to pay to drive lorries and cars in and out of city. Good memories of the old days . There still are clubs but it is not as easy as it was .I always remember the big notice on the Speakeasy bar with a list of people not to take cheques from. Top of the list was Long John Baldry (RIP).
Harvey the Roadie
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2014 :  18:22:48  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thursday 16th May 1974 was the gig at the Dunstable Civic Hall . Most of the Black and White photos on this site were taken there some on stage and some in the dressing room.I have seen flyers for this gig on the internet. Good gig but I spent most of the set trying to get people off the sides of the stage as Bruce R said they were upsetting Arthur. Seemed to be more people at sides of stage than in the audience most of the time. Played that gig with many bands over the years, nice place to play but now converted into a supermarket. Real shame, easy to get to from London and a big hall with a good sound. It was in Dunstable but some people say it was Aylesbury which was close by.
Harvey the Roadie
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2014 :  16:14:56  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Friday 17th at Essex university . No thing much happened , not many in the audience and not many had heard of Arthur. Only a lot of students who were there to get drunk. Stage was a few tables tied together in the corner .Universities were all on strike or occupied by militant students so entrance was blocked by students who were trying to stop supplies getting into uni. but after a bit of arguing they let us in. Tonight Saturday the 18th May was Lancaster University. Long drive but decent gig. Good stage and good audience but some trouble at mixing desk, scuffling, sorted out by Rugby player security. Good gig but Arthur in a pretty bad mood afterwards. Disappeared into dressing room and would not give interviews to students from magazines. I had to guard door to keep them out. Eventually one was let in but I do not think he got much response. A person who did get a response was a lady called Isadora who introduced herself to the road crew by knocking our lunch about causing it to nearly end on the floor.She introduced herself to Arthur and then hung around him for the next few gigs. I think she went with him on the tour bus. One hotel I had to do the foot in the lift door trick to stop the lift between floors so they could fool around. She eventually after a few days got in the truck with us and we let her go somewhere in the midlands.
Harvey the Roadie
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2014 :  21:03:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
London's Rainbow Theatre tonight, Harvey....or was it last night?

Edited by - John9 on 24/05/2014 21:03:51
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2014 :  01:03:17  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, been away for a bit. Tuesday 21st May was the University of East Anglia. Only problem there was machinery making noises through P.A. We liberated a foam stuffed chair . Gig was OK. Wednesday 22nd was the Dingwalls , Camden Lock, London, gig. This is the gig where the colour photos that were owned by Sonoma that used to be on here were taken. I am in the background of a couple of the photos. They may not be on here any more but they are on the Sonoma website. The Dingwalls gig was where the person got up from the audience and punched Arthur on the jaw after the show. Arthur was so sedated I do not think he felt it much . I grabbed the guy and got security to throw him out. Never got a reason why it happened. Arthur said he was OK. He seemed OK on Thursday the 23rd at the Rainbow, Finsbury Park, London Gig. He was much happier to be playing a gig that he thought fitted his status and played a good set and was in a good mood. He was joking with me that he was going to fall in the orchestra pit which was uncovered and he knew that Zappa had fallen (or been pushed) in the pit some time earlier. Arthur was standing on the edge of the pit and leaning over and looking at me at the side of the stage. This is the gig I recorded ( at Arthurs request) with a crossed pair of AKG D190 microphones at the mixing desk plugged into my Sony TC366 Stereo 1/4 track Tape deck and left running during the set. I played the tape to Arthur and the band at the gig tonight the 24th , the Friday gig at the Slough Sports Centre on the outskirts of London. They seemed happy with the way it sounded and after the tour finished I got a request from the record company in America to send them a cassette copy of the tape. I did this and this is probably how the tape 'escaped' and has been heard by many people on here . I have never made more copies than the one I sent to the States. Tonights gig was quite good as it was a nice gig to play, I played there many times. Now demolished and replaced with a big multi building complex fitness and leisure centre with a large concert hall which I have played a few times but does not have the 'feel' of the old place and has an awful 'Get In' with lots of corridors to wheel equipment round and many doors all with security locks and security guards who keep locking all the doors stopping the crew getting the equipment in and out. After the gig Arthur was quite concerned that I had left the tape recorder in the dressing room and kept reminding me and was watching it until I put it back in the car. I took my sports car (Sunbeam Alpine) to the gig in 74 and spent the rest of the evening driving around Slough with a useless kid who had helped us in with the equipment but dropped some of it so was told to make the tea. He wanted a lift home as the last bus had gone but then could not remember how to get home. Eventually found somewhere he recognised . So late home and had to be up early for Leeds University gig tomorrow.
Harvey the Roadie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page