Soul Deep
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2005 :  20:48:37  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/souldeep/episodes/3/

This is a truly excellent programme on the history of Black Music currently on BBC2 on Saturday evenings - and last night after it on BBC4 they showed "Standing in the shadows of Motown", a feature film about the Funk Brothers, the musicians who provided most of the backing tracks to Tamla Motown tracks - the Funk Brothers playing with current artists like Ben Harper - as well as Bootsy Collins looking magnificent - a joy to behold (and listen to).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/music/features/standing-shadows-motown.shtml

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2005 :  22:49:37  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've only caught one episode, last week's about the wonderful Sam Cooke...great stuff, no doubt the BBC will bring it out on DVD. That Standing in the Shadows of Motown is wonderful isn't it? I've got that on DVD, it angers me at how little reward those men got for all their hard work.
Go to Top of Page

John E
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2005 :  13:40:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree...this great series is the best thing on TV for ages. I've seen all three (even though I rarely watch TV). Looking forward to the next programme - I believe it covers Otis,Aretha etc.
Love, John E
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Third Love

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2005 :  22:14:42  Show Profile  Visit Ben's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Top shout about the Standing in the Shadows of Motown DVD. It's on Amazon for a bargain 6 quid at the moment. I've only seen the Sam Cooke programme so far owing to my complete inability to watch anything I tape. Nice to see Bobby Womack on it who is the best guitarist I have ever seen, bar none.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2005 :  14:44:26  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I do that as well Ben, I've got stuff still to watch on video I taped years ago! At 6 quid everyone should be buying that DVD! LOL
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2005 :  01:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Otis Redding/Southern Soul programme was absolutely wonderful- I watched transfixed. Far and away the best music series there's been on TV for years, and just about makes the licence fee worth it. As Van Morrison once sang, "..a real collectors item, when all around is trash* - well, almost all, by comparison. Wow.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2005 :  08:37:04  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeP

The Otis Redding/Southern Soul programme was absolutely wonderful- I watched transfixed. Far and away the best music series there's been on TV for years, and just about makes the licence fee worth it. As Van Morrison once sang, "..a real collectors item, when all around is trash* - well, almost all, by comparison. Wow.

Yep, last night's programme was stunning. Otis had a voice to die for and 'Dark End of the Street' is one of my favourite songs of all time anyway, so hearing Jimmy Carr do it was sublime. Can't wait for the DVD.
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2005 :  03:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's very difficult to narrow my favourite songs down to just one, but, if someone put a gun to my head and demanded a choice, I reckon that it would have to be 'Dark End Of The Street'. I've got several versions, all stunning in their own way, my favourite by a very short head being the one on Ry Cooder's live album 'Showtime', where Bobby King and Terry Evans pick up the song and take it somewhere else, backed by Ry's equally sublime and evocative slide guitar. One of those hair-raising 'ouch' moments, when a bit of music hits the spot. Saw them do it live once... will never forget it.
Seeing James Carr was the totally unexpected icing on a very, very rich cake. I just hope that they devote a programme to Al Green. Elvis Costello was once asked if he had ever had a supernatural experience. "I saw Al Green once", he replied. Me too..
This series has brought home the fact that there is so much truly outstanding concert footage literally rotting away in vaults round the world. If only there was a TV channel devoted to it. This stuff was made to be seen, and only a tiny percentage is. We SHOULD'NT be raving over 'Soul Deep' because of the tiny morsels of stunning footage therein. That we are is a damning indictment of TV companies etc. for failing to appreciate the brilliance that may lie unappreciated in their archives. If they want to make as much money as they can out of it by bringing it out on DVD, fine. The trouble is that, I reckon, most of them just can't be b******d. Who
knows, perhaps there may be some brilliant colour footage of vintage Love decaying over the water. Er, I'd pay to see it! We shouldn't be given rare tiny morsels. Such experiences should be everyday events. The material is there, I'm sure, for this to occur. The appreciation that there IS a substantial audience/market
for it is probably not. Sorry, rant over. (I think).

Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  16:57:40  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am seeing Al Green next month...really looking forward to it
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Third Love

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  14:09:38  Show Profile  Visit Ben's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If anyone who likes James Carr/Southern Soul hasn't got them could I thoroughly recommend Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures from the Vaults Volumes 1-4? There isn't a dud amongst them.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  16:46:50  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben

If anyone who likes James Carr/Southern Soul hasn't got them could I thoroughly recommend Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures from the Vaults Volumes 1-4? There isn't a dud amongst them.

Yep, I can only second that, have all four volumes, great stuff
Such a pity Dave Godin died fairly recently, he really knew his stuff.
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  01:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A friend of mine in the music biz introduced me to Godin's masterpieces quite recently. They are all knockouts. My favourite track is Kenny Carter's 'Showdown' .. triple 'ouch'. I unreservedly recommend all the Godin records to anyone who wants to 'get down to the real soul'. Have a wonderful time with the Revd. Al, Caryne - wish I was able to go. I believe Willie Mitchell will be in attendance.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  08:33:24  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeP

A friend of mine in the music biz introduced me to Godin's masterpieces quite recently. They are all knockouts. My favourite track is Kenny Carter's 'Showdown' .. triple 'ouch'. I unreservedly recommend all the Godin records to anyone who wants to 'get down to the real soul'. Have a wonderful time with the Revd. Al, Caryne - wish I was able to go. I believe Willie Mitchell will be in attendance.

Thanks, I'm sure I will....anyone who thinks 'Dark End of the Street' is an all time great is a friend of mine
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page