Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2013 :  15:04:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very good joe..Now I did see that quote on notes to the Candy's Waltz album.

And just an observation and I'm curious as to where the truth lies.
There's an interview on the album where Bryan was asked which was the
best Love record. He commented that the first two had them just starting out and finding their way. As for FC, all he did say was that it was 'symmetrical' and that was about it. He sure didn't come off enthusiastic about it. He just used that word 'symmetrical'. Now I did expect him to say yes FC was the best and then lavish praise on it but he didn't. I guess he was of two minds regarding that album. Now is that the truth?
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2013 :  16:32:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh! I thought I read it in Mojo!

there was a brief interview with Bryan on the definition of faith shortly before he passed

I forget the definition from the bible (from Numbers or whatever) but that is a good quote by Bryan

by his own account Bryan was trying for a timelessness with his songs and, really, you can play "Softly to me" or "Old Man" or "Alone Again Or" and not be able to figure on when it was recorded.. 70s? last year? Alone Again Or sounds contemporary!
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2013 :  16:33:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bryan never listened to Forever Changes
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

482 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2013 :  15:15:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

Bryan never listened to Forever Changes

Michael also never listens to FC; funny how one of the greatest albums of all time is never heard by its creators. Maybe the trauma that went with it's recording contibuted to their reservations about it?

You set the scene
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2013 :  19:08:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'Michael also never listens to FC; funny how one of the greatest albums of all time is never heard by its creators. Maybe the trauma that went with it's recording contibuted to their reservations about it?'

You know I hope the fact of 'not listening' doesn't mean disowning it particularly Michael and Bryan.
Go to Top of Page

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2013 :  19:27:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably no true great artist ever really disowns any piece,really.What happens is actually natural transformation we all experience as we age.The more socially conscious writers in the sixties happened to be highly adept at expressing these "Forever Changes".They don't abandon their works,they just plain move onward and upward through life,ever evolving,ever adjusting their perspectives on things.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2013 :  20:48:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bryan felt it was a "prosaic mix"

And his singing on "Old man" made him want to hide behind the couch, as I recall!
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2013 :  01:48:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'Probably no true great artist ever really disowns any piece,really'

I can go with that. And From the looks of it though the guys that make art sure can have a different view of it than those who take in that art!
Go to Top of Page

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2013 :  06:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

And his singing on "Old man" made him want to hide behind the couch, as I recall!

Yeah, I can't stand it either. If you compare the keys that he sang it in on the demo tape ("ifyoubelievein") and FC, you'd find that the key on the demo tape is one whole step lower than the FC version, and his voice sounds much better.
I always hated OM because of his wimpy-sounding voice on FC, but then when I heard it on the demo tape, I realized that it's literally a work of genius on BM's part as a songwriter.
I wonder why he sang it in such a high key on FC?
I hope you-know-who had nothing to do with it...
I still think that BM's contribution to FC has been greatly under estimated; if you listen to the goddamned thing, it's all BM's acoustic guitar! I doubt that AL told BM what chords to play.
Betwixt his superb rhythm guitar playing, and DA's great arrangements, I think there's a reason why FC is better than anything else that AL ever did...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2013 :  14:37:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sometimesmylifeissoeerie

quote:

Yeah, I can't stand it either. If you compare the keys that he sang it in on the demo tape ("ifyoubelievein") and FC, you'd find that the key on the demo tape is one whole step lower than the FC version, and his voice sounds much better.
I always hated OM because of his wimpy-sounding voice on FC, but then when I heard it on the demo tape, I realized that it's literally a work of genius on BM's part as a songwriter.
I still think that BM's contribution to FC has been greatly under estimated; if you listen to the goddamned thing, it's all BM's acoustic guitar! I doubt that AL told BM what chords to play.
Betwixt his superb rhythm guitar playing, and DA's great arrangements, I think there's a reason why FC is better than anything else that AL ever did...

quote:
Originally posted by sometimesmylifeissoeerie

quote:

Hey, smle...I agree about Bryan's great contribution to FC on every song!

In fact every member of that Love made FC what it was and it would not be the same without them. Arthur played for them, each bare bones & rough composition, and trusted them all to run with it!

And Man, did they!!

When I listen to the andifyoubelievein LP I hear Bryan's genius on his rhythm super-strumming, it's on the level of Pete Townsend when he lets loose on Pin Ball Wizard with those rhythm riffs!

-lk

Old hippies never die, they just ramble on.
-lk
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2013 :  14:44:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still think that BM's contribution to FC has been greatly under estimated; if you listen to the goddamned thing, it's all BM's acoustic guitar!

And I can hear that too. And you can tell that acoustic in some of the songs also had great 'punch' particularly MTPWBTTOBCH. I figure Arthur no doubt wanted that. He was kinda a 'punchy' guy........;-)..
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2013 :  14:54:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure Arthur would've shown Bryan the songs and gone over how to play them

According to the Einarson book, Arthur did not play on FC

Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

482 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2013 :  15:34:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never meant to imply that Michael has disowned his participation in FC or the group. In fact, the opposite. I believe on his part he is hearing the technical and musical imperfections in the album, and being the outstanding musician that he is is just giving his honest opinion on the masterpiece. He even said in a question I asked him that he was extremely proud and lucky to have participated in LoVE.

You set the scene
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2013 :  23:22:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think McCartney thought much of Revolver when he first heard it played back, thought it sounded wrong

And Lennon wanted to rerecord every single one of his Beatles classics - to him the songs just reminded him of the sessions

He was proud of the fact that they recorded their first album in a day though!
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2013 :  16:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He even said in a question I asked him that he was extremely proud and lucky to have participated in LoVE.

Well I'm glad about that. he helped to make some beautiful music for all time.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page