New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2013 :  16:25:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gillian Welch/Dave Rawlings-sing POWERFUL stories!

A nice review of Dave Rawlings' playing
David Rawlings is such a fantastic fu@king guitar player. When I die I want to come back as David Rawlings' guitar. -youtube

Time (The Revelator)....live...BRILLIANT!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdYG-Nh_AxU

Gillian's songs, joined by her partner David Rawlings...."recall a simpler time, they make you think in black & white, stark timeless portraits of people we've known, & places we've been..."

Sessions at West 54th
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr2O9R5JcZI

Gillian Welch (October 2, 1967) is an American singer-songwriter. She performs with her musical partner, guitarist David Rawlings. Their sparse and dark musical style, which combines elements of Appalachian music, Bluegrass, and Americana, is described by The New Yorker as "at once innovative and obliquely reminiscent of past rural forms".

Welch and Rawlings have released five critically acclaimed albums. Their 1996 debut, Revival, and the 2001 release Time (The Revelator), received nominations for the Grammy Award for Best Contemporary Folk Album. Their 2003 album, Soul Journey, introduced electric guitar, drums and a more upbeat sound to their body of work. After a gap of eight years, they released their fifth studio album, The Harrow & The Harvest, in 2011.

Welch was an associate producer and performed on two songs of the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack, a platinum album that won the Grammy Award for Album of the Year in 2002. Welch has collaborated and recorded with distinguished musicians such as Alison Krauss, Ryan Adams, Jay Farrar, Emmylou Harris, The Decemberists, and Ani DiFranco.

Gillian Howard Welch was born on October 2, 1967 in New York City, and was adopted by Ken and Mitzie Welch, comedy and music entertainers. Her biological mother was a freshman in college, and her father was a musician visiting New York City. Welch has speculated that her biological father could have been one of her favorite musicians, and she later discovered from her adoptive parents that he was a drummer. Alec Wilkinson of The New Yorker stated that "from an address they had been given, it appeared that her mother ... may have grown up in the mountains of North Carolina". When Welch was three, her adoptive parents moved to Los Angeles to write music for The Carol Burnett Show. They also appeared on The Tonight Show.

As a youngster, Welch was introduced to the music of American folk singers Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie, and the Carter Family. She performed folk songs with her peers at the Westland Elementary School in Los Angeles. Welch later attended Crossroads School, a high school in Santa Monica, California. While in high school, a local television program featured her as a student who "excelled at everything she did".

When a student at the University of California, Santa Cruz, Welch played bass in a goth band, and drums in a psychedelic surf band. In college, a roommate played an album by the bluegrass band The Stanley Brothers, and she had an epiphany:

The first song came on and I just stood up and I kind of walked into the other room as if I was in a tractor beam and stood there in front of the stereo. It was just as powerful as the electric stuff, and it was songs I'd grown up singing. All of a sudden I'd found my music.

After graduating from UC Santa Cruz with a degree in photography, Welch attended the Berklee College of Music in Boston, where she majored in songwriting. During her two years studying at Berklee, Welch gained confidence as a performer. Welch met her music partner David Rawlings at a successful audition for Berklee's only country band.

Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead and Gillian Welch at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass

". . it wasn’t until I became friends with Dave and Gil, about ten years ago, that I had people who understood songwriting and could express it to me in a way that left out the guesswork."
Ketch Secor, Old Crow Medicine Show

Welch emphasizes music from a previous era as her major influence. She said that "by and large I listen to people who are dead. I'm really of the tried-and-true school. I let 50 years go by and see what's really relevant." Welch has acknowledged inspiration from several traditional country artists, including the Stanley Brothers, the Carter Family, the Louvin Brothers, and the Blue Sky Boys. She explained her relationship with traditional music by saying, "I've never tried to be traditional. It's been a springboard for me and I love it and revere it and would not be doing what I do without the music of the Monroe Brothers, the Stanley Brothers and the Carter Family. However, it was clear I was never going to be able to do exactly that; I'm a songwriter."

In addition to the strong country influence, Welch also draws on a repertoire of such Rock 'n' Roll artists as Bob Dylan, Chuck Berry, Neil Young, the Grateful Dead and the Velvet Underground. She has noted alternative rock bands Throwing Muses, Pixies and Camper Van Beethoven "don't directly inform my music, but they're in there."

Welch has recorded songs with a variety of notable artists, including Ryan Adams, Ani DiFranco, Emmylou Harris, Jay Farrar, Alison Krauss, Old Crow Medicine Show, Bright Eyes, Robyn Hitchcock, Steve Earle, Ralph Stanley, The Decemberists, Solomon Burke and Mark Knopfler. Welch and Rawlings' contributions on Hitchcock's album Spooked was described by Christopher Bahn of The A.V. Club as "subtle but vital". Mark Deming of Allmusic wrote that their work on Ryan Adams' album Heartbreaker "brought out the best in Adams".

Artists who have recorded songs written by Welch include Jimmy Buffett, Alison Krauss and Union Station, Trisha Yearwood, Joan Baez, Allison Moorer, Emmylou Harris, Miranda Lambert, and Kathy Mattea.

Performances

Welch and Rawlings have played many music festivals, including The Newport Folk Festival, Coachella Festival, The Telluride Bluegrass Festival, The Cambridge Folk Festival, MerleFest, The Austin City Limits Festival, and Farm Aid. They have toured North America extensively, and have played in Europe, Australia, and New Zealand. Concert reviews have praised the chemistry between Welch and Rawlings on stage. Tizzy Asher of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer wrote "there was a startling unspoken intimacy between them. They anticipated each other's movements and shifted when necessary to fit each other."

The Dave Rawlings Machine have toured North America, with the band composed of Rawlings, Welch and three members of Old Crow Medicine Show.[96] Welch and Rawlings also participate in group tours with notable musicians. In 2004, they were part of the Sweet Harmony Traveling Revue, a three-week US tour with Patty Griffin, Buddy Miller and Emmylou Harris.[97] In 2009, The Dave Rawlings Machine joined Old Crow Medicine Show, The Felice Brothers and Justin Townes Earle for The Big Surprise Tour, a US tour described as a "roots-music extravaganza".[98] In 2011, Welch was a support act for the recently reformed Buffalo Springfield.[99]

Discography
Main article: Gillian Welch discography

* 1996 – Revival
* 1998 – Hell Among the Yearlings
* 2001 – Time (The Revelator)
* 2003 – Soul Journey
* 2011 – The Harrow & The Harvest

-wiki

Pocahontas (neil young)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iliCadW0s5Q

Live set at Warren Hellman Public Celebration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCHmBIdiBlU

Old hippies never die, they just ramble on.
-lk

Edited by - lemonade kid on 10/05/2014 20:38:18

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2013 :  19:58:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The Harrow & The Harvest" 2011-Gillian & Dave

The Way It Will Be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxH9kHofuTU

The Way That It Goes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiS37_EULj8

-lk
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  17:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time (The Revelator)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdYG-Nh_AxU

-lk

Edited by - lemonade kid on 12/11/2013 20:22:15
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  17:50:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Dream A Highway
a 14 minute song & masterwork

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvREUDH2BZ0

Gillian Welch - I Dream A Highway from the album Time "The Revelator" (Acony 2001).

Time (The Revelator) is the third full length album by Gillian Welch. All songs were written by Welch together with David Rawlings and most were recorded in Nashville, Tennessee.

Welch said of recording "Revelator," "It was a mike test -- the version on the record. Dave just said, 'play 'Revelator' and it was okay, let's try it and we used the mike test." Adds Rawlings, "We played it once and it was great because we hadn't played it in months. We got that first take feeling."

According to Rawlings, "I Dream A Highway" had never been played before it was recorded. "So, we played it twice and I edited both versions together. But, I wanted that because I knew it was a minor song that had... There was a lot that could happen with the harmonies and the guitar playing than if we'd done it a lot of times, so we could just travel through a lot more of it than if we knew where we were supposed to start and where we were supposed to end."

Welch and Rawlings received a great deal of recognition for their work on Time. The album received many award nominations and was included on many "best album of the year" lists by critics. It has since been included on a number of "best of all time" list. The album was ranked 64 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 100 greatest albums of the decade.

Lyrics:

Oh I dream a highway back to you love
A winding ribbon with a band of gold
A silver vision come and rest my soul
I dream a highway back to you

John he's kicking out the footlights
The Grand Ole Opry's got a brand new band
Lord, let me die with a hammer in my hand
I dream a highway back to you.

I think I'll move down into Memphis
And thank the hatchet man who forked my tongue
I lie and wait until the wagons come
And dream a highway back to you.

The getaway kicking up cinders
An empty wagon full of rattling bones
Moon in the mirror on a three-hour jones,

A silver vison come arrest my soul

Which lover are you, Jack of Diamonds?
Now you be Emmylou and I'll be Gram
I send a letter, don't know who I am

I'm an indisguisable shade of twilight
Any second now I'm gonna turn myself on
In the blue display of the cool cathode ray

I wish you knew me, Jack of Diamonds
Fire-riding, wheeling when I lead em up
Drank whisky with my water, sugar in my tea
My sails in rags with the staggers and the jags

A silver vision come molest my soul

Now give me some of what you're having
I'll take you as a viper into my head
A knife into my bed, arsenic when I'm fed

Hang overhead from all directions
Radiation from the porcelain light
Blind and blistered by the morning white

Sunday morning at the diner
Hollywood trembles on the verge of tears
I watched the waitress for a thousand years
Saw a wheel inside a wheel, heard a call within a call
I dreamed a highway back to you.

A silver vision come molest my soul

Step into the light, poor Lazarus
Don't lie alone behind the window shade
Let me see the mark death made

What will sustain us through the winter?
Where did last years lessons go?
Walk me out into the rain and snow

A silver vision come and bless my soul

A silver vision come and bless my sould

-lk

Edited by - lemonade kid on 12/11/2013 20:21:38
Go to Top of Page

stewart
Old Love

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2013 :  19:34:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A career tarnished by the fact that UK PM David Cameron is a fan http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/feb/12/david-cameron-gillian-welch-gig
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2013 :  16:39:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stewart

A career tarnished by the fact that UK PM David Cameron is a fan http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/feb/12/david-cameron-gillian-welch-gig

Or rather, Gillian brings out the best in the worst of us...reflecting your PM's emerging latent good taste.

-lk
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2014 :  20:39:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
POCAHONTAS (Neil Young cover)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iliCadW0s5Q

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2014 :  14:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was at the Gillian Welch gig that David Cameron and Louise Mench attended. One of the encore songs was This Land is My Land including lyrics

"In the shadow of the steeple I saw my people,
By the relief office I seen my people;
As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking
Is this land made for you and me?"

As was remarked in one of the reviews at the time Cameron may not have related to the song, particularly that verse.

And were David Cameron and Louise Mensch singing along with Gillian and David's closing song White Rabbit at the Hammersmith concert and then rapturously applauding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzInrjDQDnM

Here Gillian and David are at St Lukes, London, lovely venue near to the Barbican which I have been to for a North Mississippi Blues concert, one hour concert televised on BBC4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_0b3J4BFcc

Great cover of Hickory Wind by Gillian on the Return of the Grievous Angel Gram Parsons tribute album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGbBQj-epzk

I didn't completely get Gillian Welch, who I'd only heard some tracks on the radio from Bob Harris, a radio presenter I respected, until I booked a Ralph Stanley gig at the Barbican with Gillian as support. Ralph Stanley and band had got stranded in North Caroline by snow as there were no flights. Got an email day of the concert offering a refund or to come and see Gillian and David do two sets, they were quite wonderful.

Edited by - mikeb on 11/05/2014 14:08:37
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2014 :  15:01:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikeb

I was at the Gillian Welch gig that David Cameron and Louise Mench attended. One of the encore songs was This Land is My Land including lyrics

"In the shadow of the steeple I saw my people,
By the relief office I seen my people;
As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking
Is this land made for you and me?"

As was remarked in one of the reviews at the time Cameron may not have related to the song, particularly that verse.

And were David Cameron and Louise Mensch singing along with Gillian and David's closing song White Rabbit at the Hammersmith concert and then rapturously applauding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzInrjDQDnM

Here Gillian and David are at St Lukes, London, lovely venue near to the Barbican which I have been to for a North Mississippi Blues concert, one hour concert televised on BBC4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_0b3J4BFcc

Great cover of Hickory Wind by Gillian on the Return of the Grievous Angel Gram Parsons tribute album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGbBQj-epzk

I didn't completely get Gillian Welch, who I'd only heard some tracks on the radio from Bob Harris, a radio presenter I respected, until I booked a Ralph Stanley gig at the Barbican with Gillian as support. Ralph Stanley and band had got stranded in North Caroline by snow as there were no flights. Got an email day of the concert offering a refund or to come and see Gillian and David do two sets, they were quite wonderful.

Gillian & David may be an acquired taste for those who shy away from roots bluegrassy style folk/rock, but give her (& David) half a chance, and like mb, you will be hooked, Amazing and dark...they are the best.

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page