New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

abraxas
Fourth Love

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2012 :  03:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Basically, without Bryan and his connections with the Byrds, Love wouldn't have been popular in the club scene of '65-'66. Bryan brought the chicks that went around the Byrds I assume.

underture
Fifth Love

482 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2012 :  16:24:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was Bryan a huge part in LoVE's ascent in the LA area? No doubt. Was he the sole reason? Not in my opinion. Who knows what would have become of the Lee/Echols pairing at the time in the summer of '65. There are sooo many factors and what ifs to consider. What if Conka had been able to stay with the group? What if someone else had capably filled Bryan's shoes?.... Maybe the band would have scaled even greater heights. But it is safe to say that Lee/Echols/MacLean were the indefinable essence of what made the band special and unique.

You set the scene
Go to Top of Page

abraxas
Fourth Love

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  00:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the Forever Changes book, I had an impression that Bryan was the key that kind of made early Love cool when he brought his entourage from the Byrds to The Grass Roots/Love. I don't get how Bryan was "popular" around the LA Club Scene in '65, if he was actually a member of the Byrds per se, but just the roadie. Unless all the guys that were roadies with the Byrds were considered "cool".
Go to Top of Page

Buffalo
Fourth Love

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  23:17:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone within the Byrds' orbit back in 1965-66 was considered cool simply by association. The Byrds were gods at that point. Bryan received considerable cachet from a very tentative and shortlived relationship with the group.
Go to Top of Page

abraxas
Fourth Love

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  23:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I guess even the roadies for the Byrds got some. Oh okay, so that could've been how Bryan was considered cool.

This is the time and life that I am living
And I'll face each day with a smile
Go to Top of Page

abraxas
Fourth Love

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  17:26:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the Book of Love about Arthur, I still have the impression that Byran kind of brought the white middle class teen following for The Grass Roots/Love during their Brave New World tenure in '65. Didn't the White middle class teen following the same bunch that were fans of the Byrds?

This is the time and life that I am living
And I'll face each day with a smile
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page