Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2011 :  01:33:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there seems to be a picture of the cover of the Black Beauty Deluxe release on Amazon but no release

info provided on the site:
Deluxe high fidelity CD package, 16 page insert with elaborate liners notes by John Einarson and never-before-seen photograph's by Herbert Worthington.

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2011 :  05:02:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
linky: http://www.amazon.com/Love-Black-Beauty-Deluxe-CD/dp/B0061YU8HE/ref=sr_1_7?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1322884890&sr=1-7
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2011 :  17:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Nice cover pic! I LOVE it.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 03/12/2011 17:46:13
Go to Top of Page

DaveyTee
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2011 :  23:10:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure it's OK except for the "Love" logo on it.

DT
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  04:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
name probably should've been retired when Johnny, Kenny, Michael & Bryan left!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  06:24:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guess I'm in the minority believing that Love was Arthur's vision from the start & it was his to call whatever incarnation it took. It may have lost some magic for sure after the core favorites left, but some good music was still to be had here and there along the way.

So long live LoVE, anyway we can get it....& after all, Arthur is Love!

I'm just dead, I'm not gone.
-Jim Dickinson
Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  13:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you L.K.!
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  15:54:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lee was an important part of the band, but when Kenny/Johnny/Michael/Bryan fled (the correct word is fled)
maybe the best thing to have done waslike call it a day!

I think people approaching Black Beauty or Love Lost or even False Start being only familiar with the Elektra period might be rather taken aback!

Of course the strangest bit was when Baby Lemonade was touring without Arthur as Love!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  20:19:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a bit harsh to say Arthur should have just cashed it in after the original Love disbanded.

If anyone earned the right & respect to keep recording, it was Arthur. If it were said that every artist that we are a bit disappointed in should call it a day (or even worse, GET sent to the soylent green facility...), then the likes of Clapton would not have gone on to his rather bland and radio friendly post Layla era....uninteresting to me, but very successful. Clapton is finally back to performing his old blues standards and is at his very best once again...even if it took a while to get there. Should he have quit just because he lost that fire we all loved for so many years?!

That is a bit presumptuous to suggest that anyone (of any talent level) should just hang it up because we don't care for what they are NOW doing. When music is in your soul, you gotta let it play out....even if just on youtube!!

Do you want to tell all those super-star-wannabe's & cover artists on youtube to hang it up because they just don't have it, & maybe never did. I say PLAY ON & PLAY IT LOUD!

At Least Arthur HAD it! That alone gives him the right to try and find it again.

Besides, LoVE was toast as it was...

...Bryan got passed over by the label when he thought he was bigger than Love--he was still messed up on drugs & still lazily thought it was all just a given that he would be a star. The same could be said for the rest of Love. It was time for Arthur to move on; & in his mind, hopefully UP. Yeah, the magic was gone, but so he shouldn't try?

Arthur took his music seriously, though drugs took their toll on him also. It is pretty unanimous by all involved that Love was not salvageable as it was. Arthur was to blame too--drugs, ego, insecurities...

But it is unfair to say that the rest of LoVE "FLED" [the scene]. I would rather say they fell away, strung out and lazy from the effects of the drugs. When pawning everything & scoring becomes more important than your own instruments, your lifeblood, it's time to take a look and step back and get cleaned up.

Arthur was fed up with the immature laziness and the drugs (even his own use was an issue and he knew it)-- maybe he felt the only way to save his music, AND his LIFE, was to get as far away as possible from his first LoVE.

Finally, if Arthur had not kept his music through all the ups & downs, through prison, and breakups, we would not have had the chance to see Arthur shine, for that last blazing & magical time in 2003, playing the music we all love....and speaking for all of us, I hope, with each new listen, FOREVER CHANGING US!

Peace & Love, mates!

-Jim Dickinson

Edited by - lemonade kid on 05/12/2011 00:37:24
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  20:45:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dukie

I agree with you L.K.!

AL=Love.
thats the way it was and is and will be.
( when i bought the recent UGLY THINGS the guy at the record store told me there was interview with one of the guys that played in THEM. i told the guy i dont nee to read it to know what its about its about whoever the guy is claiming he co wrote all the songs with Van.now, he hasnt written a song or done anything in 50 years but he co wrote the songs despite the fact he didnt say a word in all that time). guy said BINGO you must be psychic.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  21:22:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"LoVE on earth shall be....."

-Jim Dickinson
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  01:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
isn't that a song ?

I will grant you that Love cut some decent tracks after the original group disbanded (Johnny, Kenny, Bryan, etc) - you've got "Five String Serenade" as the peak, songwise, it sounds like it could've come off FC

But lets be honest - anyone whos into the Elektra period (the 1st 3 Elektra albums at least) is gonna be taken aback by Real to Reel, though I personally like it

But then I'm into 70s soul

Great of Arthur to do the Devaughn track!

Band Aid would've been something! we got Vindicator instead
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  04:02:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

"LoVE on earth shall be....."

-Jim Dickinson

that HIGH MOON label has a big ad in the new UT with the AL and GC the current releases. they have under upcoming releases Reel to Real.

if FC had not bombed commercially they you would have had more of that. but the stuff you got after FC would have been put our even if the old guys were there. A lot of it is good and some not so good, but i am happy to have it.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  07:53:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me too, wax. It's all a part of the complete picture.

Some of my favorite tracks were released post FC on Four Sail & Out Here & on....each release has a redeeming track or more that makes it all worth while.

-Jim Dickinson

Edited by - lemonade kid on 05/12/2011 07:54:26
Go to Top of Page

DaveyTee
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  08:12:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But not me. As far as I'm concerned, most - indeed, nearly all - the stuff that came after FC was, at best, mediocre. It is, IMO, indisputable that the band that brought out Love, Da Capo and Forever Changes had a sound and an ethos, and indeed a genius, that was subsequently lost. The band that produced these discs was the sum of its parts and while AL undoubtedly played a leading role, Love was not just AL.

So when AL changed the lineup and changed the very sound of the band, I think it bordered on the dishonest to continue with the name Love. For me, the post FC releases have to some extent spoiled the whole Love thing - something that had been brilliant, and that I had loved, suddenly changed into something else that was not only very different, but was not really very good at all. Obviously, and perhaps understandably, AL wanted to cash in on the name Love, but I so wish he hadn't.

DT
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  14:10:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveyTee

But not me. As far as I'm concerned, most - indeed, nearly all - the stuff that came after FC was, at best, mediocre. It is, IMO, indisputable that the band that brought out Love, Da Capo and Forever Changes had a sound and an ethos, and indeed a genius, that was subsequently lost. The band that produced these discs was the sum of its parts and while AL undoubtedly played a leading role, Love was not just AL.

So when AL changed the lineup and changed the very sound of the band, I think it bordered on the dishonest to continue with the name Love. For me, the post FC releases have to some extent spoiled the whole Love thing - something that had been brilliant, and that I had loved, suddenly changed into something else that was not only very different, but was not really very good at all. Obviously, and perhaps understandably, AL wanted to cash in on the name Love, but I so wish he hadn't.

DT

bands change members and sound all the time without folding.
ive never heard of that, a band changing names because they change their sound.Beatles, Stones, all changed sound.
the first album and FC are very different in sound, but i dont think anybody thinks it merits a change in name.

that the first 3 albums are great is true only in retrospect, they basically didnt sell, were commercial flops. the ethos was not lost it was abandoned due to lack of sales. had the other members stayed the change in sound would have still taken place.

to me AL is LOVE as he wrote 99 percent of the material and put the music together.
ill beleive all the revisionism when the remaining members put out something maybe a 45.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page