Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

SignedRW
Fifth Love

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  18:50:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, it happened with other bands, too; after they got rid of Pete Best and after Stu Sutcliffe "fled," it was all downhill for that band. The nerve of them continuing to call themselves the Beatles without Stu or Pete in the band! Hard to believe that anyone would be fooled into still listening to their music after not only those major personnel changes, but when they were no longer even known as the Silver Beatles any more....
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  19:26:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Signed RW

Yep, it happened with other bands, too; after they got rid of Pete Best and after Stu Sutcliffe "fled," it was all downhill for that band. The nerve of them continuing to call themselves the Beatles without Stu or Pete in the band! Hard to believe that anyone would be fooled into still listening to their music after not only those major personnel changes, but when they were no longer even known as the Silver Beatles any more....

Good one, Rick.

As a round about comparison, should Dylan have thrown it all in after going electric & changed his name back to Robbie Zimmerman & called the new lp 'Zimmerman Goes Electric" for his 1965 "Highway 61 Revisited"?? After all, he was called a "Judas" for changing his style! I knew some ol' folkies that never got over the change and still spoke of Dylan never being the same...that was a full 4 years later in 1969.

I think because music goes soooo deep in our souls, we feel betrayed when a beloved artist grows in a direction we can't handle. In any other occupation it is called an innovation....should Picasso been criticized & crucified for changing his style so very much over the long years?

Somehow a musician is held under a more severe light. But then if they stay too much the same they are called stale and a sell-out trying to continue in the same formula as dictated by their label. Neil Young is an example of someone who ALWAYS did what his label wanted....so much so that with each new release we knew exactly what we were going to get, each time out! He was no innovator like Arthur Lee!!

But seriously, some within Love circles and Electra were concerned that with each new album release (S/T to Da Capo to FC), the "radical changes" from album to album would alienate loyal fans. And after all, their first album was very successful by Elektra's standards in their new rock catalog. One can argue that the difference between their first record and Forever Changes was so extreem that they had no right to continue as "LoVE" by the time of the release of FC!!

They should at least have done as Blue Cheer and called the album "New/Improved! Love" or the New Love, so we could have been prepared!

I'm just dead, I'm not gone.
-Jim Dickinson

Edited by - lemonade kid on 05/12/2011 19:28:59
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  21:25:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
curiously, the Quarrymen seem to be still playing, as does the Pete Best Band

what pisses me off about that Best of the Beatles dvd is that on one of the dvd extras, where Pete is meeting with Astrid in Germany where the band used to play theres some music from his solo album drifting in and out during the conversation

A lot of us actually are interested in Astrid, and Stu was ALWAYS one of the band

"I think it was the trousers.."
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  21:28:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
back to Love ... Gethesemene ... I'm assuming this was gonna be Forever Changes when it was still gonna be a double album?

can anyone confirm?

Gethesemene would've been interesting - the question remains: how would Love have topped Forever Changes if they hadn't in fact imploded?
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  22:05:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

back to Love ... Gethesemene ... I'm assuming this was gonna be Forever Changes when it was still gonna be a double album?

can anyone confirm?

Gethesemene would've been interesting - the question remains: how would Love have topped Forever Changes if they hadn't in fact imploded?

theres is no such thing as Gethesemene.
there was never going to be a double album. Jac Holzman and Arthur stated this many times.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  00:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does Echols know?
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  03:06:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

does Echols know?

I would think so.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  21:25:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope hes still working on it

Looks like Black Beauty MIGHT see release soon - Spin has the timings for the album - no idea what the bonus trax are gonna be though!
Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  23:40:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spin
says that Black Beauty will be released (on cd and vinyl) on the 28th January 2012, with bonus tracks and rare photographs as well as an essay by John Einarson.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  02:00:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
seems to be available for pre order on Spin buy not High Moon records (or whatever the label its on is)

I'm assuming the vinyl will have tracks not on the cd, like the recent Love Lost album (HMS, etc)

ANOTHER album I haven't listened to in a while and really don't regret!

Anyone pick up Bryans newest on CDBaby?
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  04:03:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dukie

Spin
says that Black Beauty will be released (on cd and vinyl) on the 28th January 2012, with bonus tracks and rare photographs as well as an essay by John Einarson.

yes the ad i saw does mention the essay and photographs. i think the vinyl will be released first.
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  04:05:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I hope hes still working on it

Looks like Black Beauty MIGHT see release soon - Spin has the timings for the album - no idea what the bonus trax are gonna be though!

does anyone know what the extra tracks are? i hope it comes out before the label folds, they are dopping like flies.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  23:00:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't know - not even the reviews of Black Beauty I've come across have mentioned what the bonus tracks are - one did enjoy the liners!

It seems to have gotten good reviews for a Love release (4 stars in Uncut, as I recall) but then
Love Lost got good reviews and a lot of that was just stupid, Arthur blowing the raspberry during a track, etc. Needed more acoustic tracks like "For a Day"!
Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  12:38:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A new update about Black Beauty is on the official Arthur Lee site. It sounds like it will be worth the wait. (Over to you, Joe).
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  18:38:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any idea of what the bonus tracks are?

Hope its not just a tape of Bryan breaking wind or Arthur complaining about tripping over video cassettes or something
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page