9. Duane Allman
10. Pete Townshend
11. George Harrison
Only two women
75. Joni Mitchell
89. Bonnie Raitt
And lastly
100. Lindsay Buckingham

Interesting list, but no surprises here.
To me Jimi will always be in a class of his own, with all others
far behind.

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  19:02:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I assume Stevie Ray Vaughn is somewhere near the top?!!!!

DaveyTee
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  09:45:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That list would be better described as the 11 most famous guitarists, not the 11 best.

Personally, I've always thought Hendrix grossly over-rated.

DT
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  14:41:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stevie Ray dropped from no. 7 in 2003 to no.12 in 2011.
I see your point Davey Tee, but no one has ever been able to do what Hendrix did.
Its just another list for thought.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  18:31:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People (some) don't realize the contributions and innovations of Keith Richards, especially of the open tuned, five string blues guitar (a six string guitar minus one string--until he had a five string custom one designed).

That's how he got that sound that that was so hard to figure out until you knew the secret!

Keef belongs there in the top five.

DaveyTee
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  08:59:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markk

I see your point Davey Tee, but no one has ever been able to do what Hendrix did.

Certainly he produced some remarkable sounds. Unfortunately from my point of view, he never actually produced any great music.

DT
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  17:05:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On Hendrix, I couldn't disagree with you more. I think there might have been a few great tunes out there, and maybe a few more, and maybe a few more, and maybe even a few more.

LK, when Mick Taylor played with the Stones, what did he play?
I mean Keith was always the lead guitarist.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  18:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

On Hendrix, I couldn't disagree with you more. I think there might have been a few great tunes out there, and maybe a few more, and maybe a few more, and maybe even a few more.

LK, when Mick Taylor played with the Stones, what did he play?
I mean Keith was always the lead guitarist.

Mick was also a great one--part of their best period....he played second lead while Keef played lead or laid down the key chords...kind of like Townsend with his booming chords

DaveyTee
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2011 :  11:12:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
LK, when Mick Taylor played with the Stones, what did he play? I mean Keith was always the lead guitarist.

The Stones didn't have a lead guitarist as such. When Taylor joined, he was by far and away the best musician in the band and certainly a better guitarist than Richards, a fact that led to increasing resentment and jealousy from Richards and, probably, to Taylor's eventual departure from the band. Prior to joining the Stones Taylor had made his name as an exceptional solo guitarist and he continued that role with the Stones. To quote him: "We never really consciously worked (parts) out (between Keith and I); they just kind of happened. He played most of the riffs on the songs, and I played most of the solos."

DT

Edited by - DaveyTee on 28/11/2011 12:51:31
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2011 :  17:44:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveyTee

quote:
LK, when Mick Taylor played with the Stones, what did he play? I mean Keith was always the lead guitarist.

The Stones didn't have a lead guitarist as such. When Taylor joined, he was by far and away the best musician in the band and certainly a better guitarist than Richards, a fact that led to increasing resentment and jealousy from Richards and, probably, to Taylor's eventual departure from the band. Prior to joining the Stones Taylor had made his name as an exceptional solo guitarist and he continued that role with the Stones. To quote him: "We never really consciously worked (parts) out (between Keith and I); they just kind of happened. He played most of the riffs on the songs, and I played most of the solos."

DT

You said it better than I, DT.....which is where I was going in a way. Mostly there were riffs and lead lines, but no real searing lead solos such as with Zep...but that is why I love the Stones....no flash, just real rock & blues, top to bottom.

SignedRW
Fifth Love

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2011 :  21:08:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Certainly not to take anything away from Keith, but Mick Taylor is an amazing lead guitarist. You don't think that's all Keith on those solos on "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'," "Winter," "Time Waits For No One," or "Sway," do you? Highly recommended CD's that have been heard by far too few people are the Carla Olson/Mick Taylor Band releases "Too Hot For Snakes," and "Live." Check Mick's playing on the Stones songs on those CD's, and there'll be no question about who played what on the original Stones studio versions. Regarding Mick's departure from the Stones, I don't really believe that any interband "jealousy" ever entered the picture. I asked him about it after a Carla/Mick gig one night, and he was very forthcoming. Right to the point; "I don't know that I'd still be alive if I hadn't left. I had to go; keeping up offstage takes a toll." I took that to mean that if you're going to be a Rolling Stone, you'd best be prepared to hang with Keith, lifestyle-wise, socially, at least some of the time. Look how well that worked out for Gram Parsons.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2011 :  22:56:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Signed RW

Certainly not to take anything away from Keith, but Mick Taylor is an amazing lead guitarist. You don't think that's all Keith on those solos on "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'," "Winter," "Time Waits For No One," or "Sway," do you? Highly recommended CD's that have been heard by far too few people are the Carla Olson/Mick Taylor Band releases "Too Hot For Snakes," and "Live." Check Mick's playing on the Stones songs on those CD's, and there'll be no question about who played what on the original Stones studio versions. Regarding Mick's departure from the Stones, I don't really believe that any interband "jealousy" ever entered the picture. I asked him about it after a Carla/Mick gig one night, and he was very forthcoming. Right to the point; "I don't know that I'd still be alive if I hadn't left. I had to go; keeping up offstage takes a toll." I took that to mean that if you're going to be a Rolling Stone, you'd best be prepared to hang with Keith, lifestyle-wise, socially, at least some of the time. Look how well that worked out for Gram Parsons.

You said it, Rick! If you watch live Stones later on, Ronnie Wood takes the lead mostly, with Keef on his open tuned acoustic.

Richards' guitar playing shows a fascination with chords and rhythm while avoiding flamboyant virtuosity in favour of riffs described by Chris Spedding as "direct, incisive and unpretentious."[19][22] Richards prefers to play in tandem with another guitarist and has always toured with one.[23] Chuck Berry has been an inspiration for Richards,[24] and it was Richards and Jagger who introduced Berry's songs to the Rolling Stones' early repertoire. Chicago artists such as Jimmy Reed and Muddy Waters provided the basis of a style of interwoven lead and rhythm guitar that Richards developed with Brian Jones that continues with the Rolling Stones' current guitarist, Ronnie Wood.[25] In the late 1960s, Jones' declining contributions led Richards to record all guitar parts on many tracks, including slide guitar, which had been Jones' specialty in the band's early years.

Jones' replacement guitarist Mick Taylor worked with the Rolling Stones from 1969 to 1974, and Taylor's virtuosity at lead guitar led to a much more pronounced separation between lead and rhythm guitar roles, notably onstage.[19] In 1975 Taylor was replaced by Wood, marking a return to the style of guitar interplay that he and Richards described as "the ancient art of weaving".

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2011 :  23:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a pretty interesting Stones topic, I just didn't realize so much of the good stuff was Mick T. A buddy of mine has stated that he heard Keith was going to ask Bill and Mick to join them on their next tour. The thought just makes me smile.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page