Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 THE SMiLE Sessions Box-5 CDs, 2 12" vinyl, 2 7" !
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2011 :  18:08:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone up for this ONE?!

Release date is Nov. 1st, 2011, three days before my Birthday!
What a great box set finally! to do this famous unreleased masterpiece justice!

Heroes and villans..so great!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw6GNRdmx9Q&feature=related

At Amazon.....

The long awaited release of the Brian Wilson and Beach Boys masterpiece, Smile Sessions. With the full participation of original Beach Boys Al Jardine, Mike

Love, and Brian Wilson, Capitol/EMI has, for the first time, collected and compiled the band's legendary 1966-'67 sessions for the never-completed SMiLE

album. Rolling Stone magazine recently called SMiLE "the most famous unfinished album in rock & roll history."

In several sessions between the summer of 1966 and early 1967, The Beach Boys recorded a bounty of songs and drafts for an album, SMiLE, that was intended to

follow the band's 1966 album, Pet Sounds. The master tapes were ultimately shelved, and The Beach Boys' SMiLE has never been released. Drawn from the

original masters, SMiLE Sessions presents an in-depth overview of The Beach Boys' recording sessions for the enigmatic album, which has achieved legendary,

mythical status for music fans around the world.

SMiLE Sessions' physical and digital configurations include an assembled collection of core session tracks, while the box set delves much deeper into the

sessions, adding early song drafts, alternate takes, instrumental and vocals-only mixes, and studio chatter. SMiLE Sessions invites the listener into the

studio to experience the album's creation, with producer, singer and bassist Brian Wilson's vision leading the way as he guides his fellow Beach Boys, singer

Mike Love, drummer Dennis Wilson, lead guitarist Carl Wilson, rhythm guitarist Al Jardine, and newest member Bruce Johnston (who'd replaced Brian Wilson in

the touring group during 1965), through the legendary sessions.

Artwork for all of the SMiLE Sessions' physical and digital configurations has been created with and inspired by Beat-Pop artist Frank Holmes' original 1967

LP sleeve art and booklet designs intended for the SMiLE album. With its three-dimensional shadowbox lid, The SMiLE Sessions box set offers a whimsical peek

inside the storied SMiLE Shop.'

Box Set Content

- 5 CDs / 2LPs / 2 7" singles

- Three-dimensional shadow box lid featuring the original artwork of Frank Holmes.

- The Box Set measures 13" x 13" x 2.5"

- 60 page case bound book features liner notes by:

- Brian Wilson

- Mike Love

- Al Jardine

- Bruce Johnston

- Frank Holmes

- Peter Reum

- Tom Nolan

- Domenic Priore

- Anecdotes by:

- Marilyn Wilson-Rutherford

- Diane Rovell

- Dean Torrence

- Mark Volman

- Michael Vosse

- David Anderle

- Danny Hutton

- Timeline

- Sessionography

- Lyrics

- Frank Holmes drawings

- Producer's Notes

- More than 60 previously unreleased photos

- Box also contains:

- 6 panel folder holding 5 CDs and singles. Features photos of original session tape boxes.

- 7" vinyl singles

- "Heroes and Villains" in sleeve art

- "Vega-Tables" in sleeve art

- Gatefold 2 LPs

- Features full tracklisting of proposed unfinished album +

- Stereo mixes and session highlights (not available on CDs)

- 12" x 12" booklet created for original release features:

- Photos by Guy Webster

- Drawings by Frank Holmes

- 24" x 36" poster of Frank Holmes cover art

I hope they release this material in a more affordable package...not to be missed by the masses!!!

Anyone else up for this long awaited release!!!?

Edited by - lemonade kid on 22/09/2011 18:10:23

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2011 :  18:52:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This looks really promising, LK. As you say, it's long overdue. The whole project puts me in mind of other great lost albums. Obviously Dylan's Basement Tapes were never originally intended to see the light of day.......and we've all fantasised about that "if only" myth, Gethsemane. But real albums that were intended for release but were then withdrawn include:

The Beatles- Get Back

Buffalo Springfield - Stampede

Neil Young - Homegrown

I think that one of the most important laws of record collecting is that everything turns up eventually....in one form or another. I've often wondered why some acts (The Beatles, Dylan, Neil Young and The Byrds)have had their unreleased work excavated quite thoroughly, whereas others haven't. Take the Stones for example - it would be really interesting to know whether there are outtakes from their most innovative albums...say Aftermath or perhaps, Beggars' Banquet.

Edited by - John9 on 22/09/2011 18:55:27
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2011 :  20:42:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

This looks really promising, LK. As you say, it's long overdue. The whole project puts me in mind of other great lost albums. Obviously Dylan's Basement Tapes were never originally intended to see the light of day.......and we've all fantasised about that "if only" myth, Gethsemane. But real albums that were intended for release but were then withdrawn include:

The Beatles- Get Back

Buffalo Springfield - Stampede

Neil Young - Homegrown

I think that one of the most important laws of record collecting is that everything turns up eventually....in one form or another. I've often wondered why some acts (The Beatles, Dylan, Neil Young and The Byrds)have had their unreleased work excavated quite thoroughly, whereas others haven't. Take the Stones for example - it would be really interesting to know whether there are outtakes from their most innovative albums...say Aftermath or perhaps, Beggars' Banquet.

Well here is something I got from a friend...thus is what you mean!!! It is fantastic!!

The Rolling Stones, Record Mirror, Oct. 1962-June 1968
(Unreleased Studio Sessions)

These are obviously boots as they are listed as CD-R's....

Rolling Stones, The - Record Mirror Vol.1 (4 CDR Box set) unreleased studio sessions from 1962 to 1968.contain 16-paged booklet with detailed tracklistings and vintage photos. (SBD) Bedrock Records

AND.....

Rolling Stones, The - Record Mirror Vol.2 (4 CDR Box set) unreleased studio sessions from 1968 to 1974.contain 16-paged booklet with detailed tracklistings and vintage photos. (SBD) Bedrock Records

------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not sure if these were available ..boots only?...but they should be.
It is an amazing collection...I have the '62-68 4 CD set.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page