Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  23:43:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I added this one, mikeb....such a great pic of Arthur

Portobello Road, London 1974 UK tour...1975!

Arthur's infectious charm radiates ...what a nice moment to have captured.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 16/09/2011 18:03:55
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  23:59:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember that tour really well.......but probably not as well as wendywhen. I couldn't get into London's Speakeasy.

Your mention of Portobello Road, LK puts me in mind of 1967 when it was attempting to rival Carnaby St. And, at the time, a UK band known as Spectrum wrote this song about it. The whole song really fits the picture...but especially the line:

Customers, Americans treat it just like long lost friends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXskWXRCjX0

Edited by - John9 on 16/09/2011 00:00:52
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  00:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

I remember that tour really well.......but probably not as well as wendywhen. I couldn't get into London's Speakeasy.

Your mention of Portobello Road, LK puts me in mind of 1967 when it was attempting to rival Carnaby St. And, at the time, a UK band known as Spectrum wrote this song about it. The whole song really fits the picture...but especially the line:

Customers, Americans treat just like long lost friends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXskWXRCjX0

I have to credit Mikeb for this pic and whereabouts....from another thread!

So where IS wendywhen?!! Or lizzyb ?

Thanks for the song, john...

Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  00:23:37  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think that picture must be 1975, like Mikeb says, not 1974. Arthur never looked that good in 74
Harvey the Roadie
Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  15:41:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say that was in 1975 as well as there is a photo of Arthur and George Suranovich from this set of photos. George wasn't' on the 1974 tour (that was Joe Blocker on drums).
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  16:22:17  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey John9 as I think I have said before do not beat yourself up too much about the Speakeasy gig in 1974 it was not much of a gig. Went on very late as we could not get equipment out until next morning. Pig of a gig to get equipment in and out (narrow passages) but I do remember how hot it was when we were setting up but luckily there was an ice making machine running. A lot of the gig consisted of people from the audience getting up and performing on the step (stage?). Do not think Arthur really liked it there, quite a small undeground club with lots of people ,mainly musos, expecting him to come out with something fantastic which he could not do with only a small band. There were better gigs on the tour.
Harvey the Roadie.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  17:31:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks, Harvey. It was just the disappointment of having come all that way (from Leicester) only to be denied a much looked forward to experience. I can remember buying Bud Scoppa's biography of The Byrds to console me on the train journey home. Still, I did get to see Love when they were back over here a year later, with a revised lineup....and I must have caught them on a really good night that time. Cheers.
Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  18:39:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John, which 1975 gig did you see?
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  20:58:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dukie - it was actually Liverpool...in an old boxing arena. Love really were on fire that night...performing great versions of classic songs: Alone Again Or, Andmoreagain, Seven and Seven Is, My Little Red Book, August, Nothing, Stand Out and The Everlasting First......all of these I remember as being especially strong. The venue was two thirds empty.....but I feel that the memory of that gig means more to me than those highly accomplished (and sellout) shows from 2002 onwards....wonderful as those were. Cheers.

Edited by - John9 on 16/09/2011 20:59:48
Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2011 :  02:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw the shows at Birmingham, Salisbury and The Lyceum in London on that tour. There are recordings of Salisbury and London available....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page