-Running time: 2:44
-Recorded: January 26, 1966 Sunset Sound
-Written by: Arthur Lee
-Lead vocal and harmonica: Arthur Lee
-Lead guitar: Johnny Echols
-Rhythm guitar: Bryan MacLean
-Bass: Kenny Forssi
-Drums: Alban 'Snoopy' Pfisterer
-The "D.C." is Don Conka, orginal LoVE drummer who was unable to maintain membership in the group due to personal probems.
-Redone by Arthur for the "Out Here" album. That version was twice as long and more electrified than the debut album version.
-Quotable: Johnny relates his first encounter with Don Conka:

"I was one of those kids, who couldn't seem to get enough of school. So just before entering the eleventh grade, I attended summer school at Hollywood high. One Friday morning, I noticed a huge crowd of people heading for the parking lot, (obviously the wrong direction, school hadn't even started yet.) Being a rather curious young man, I joined them. My eyes soon found the object of all that attention! A short skinny dude, with a mop of black hair, in the back of a "Woody" that had been turned into a pickup truck. He'd just finished setting up his drums, and had started to play.

I stood there, and proceeded to have my mind blown. His Name was Donald Conka, he was not a finesse drummer, or someone who would sit back, and establish a groove. He was from the Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich school of drumming. The type of drummer, who would have his kit in front of the bandstand, not in the back. Conka enthralled the crowd for at least an hour, non-stop. One couldn't help notice the effect he was having on the girls in attendance. Either they stood watching [him] with adoring eyes, or they were dancing, either way they were all tuned in...too him. This skinny little dude with all the hair, was a star!

When he had finished playing, and while he was drying the sweat off with a towel, I walked over and introduced myself. I informed him that I was a guitar player, and that I was working down the street at the Sea Witch. His eyes lit up, "oh you're playing with Fleck?" Surprised I said yea! Then Don informed me that he had known John Fleckenstien since grade school. We'll be there tonight, I replied.... He said "cool I might fall by." That was the beginning of a lifelong friendship."

-IMHO: Arguably the best song on the first album. The sparse guitar and drums are the perfect compliment to the stark lyrics and Arthur's harmonica. The instrumental break in the middle is chilling.
-Fun fact: Arthur played the song to Johnny on a small Wurlitzer organ which Johnny then translated to guitar chords. Johnny sees some similarities to "House Of The Rising Sun"; I think that they are very disimilar songs, but you decide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAUhze7Scug

Lyrics:

Sometimes I feel so lonely
My comedown I'm scared to face
I've pierced my skin again, Lord
No one cares
For me

My soul belongs to the dealer
He keeps my mind as well
I play the part of the leecher
No one cares
For me, cares for me

Look out Joe, I'm fallin'
I can't unfold my arms
I've got one foot in the graveyard
No one cares
For me, cares for me
Cares for me
Signed D. C.

You Set The Scene
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  18:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know when I first got this record I kind of heard that Byrds/Beatles influence right away. What got me was the simplicity of the songs and the hooks. I figured the West Coast really got to hear that record. It was record with great "singles". But from my end sometimes I'm amazed at how the band went from that first "simple" record to the second and then to that famous thrid. It was just a great upward progression in I guess you can call it musical "sophistication". I mean yes we got simple rhyming schemes again but you could immediately tell the music went so much deeper.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9450 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  18:03:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great entry John!

Johnny E's comments about high school and meeting D.C. are just the greatest. Johnny is such a great storyteller...I could listen to him for hours. We need a two hour DVD of just Johnny talking for hours about life with Love back in the day.

Signed D.C....a very nice rework by Arthur and video from the Castle...
it's even more chilling in this slowed down bluesy version....roots in House of the Rising Sun is more evident here....brilliant harp playing here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2fkuU2nFBY

Hear the original from 1966 ...set to this surreal movie clip....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kII7rM7PNSE&feature=related

-Tom Waits

Edited by - lemonade kid on 03/10/2011 18:07:21
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9450 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  18:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
White Stripes' cover....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZzmnGHGs4k&NR=1

-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

479 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  20:43:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

Great entry John!

Johnny E's comments about high school and meeting D.C. are just the greatest. Johnny is such a great storyteller...I could listen to him for hours. We need a two hour DVD of just Johnny talking for hours about life with Love back in the day.

it's even more chilling in this slowed down bluesy version....roots in House of the Rising Sun is more evident here....brilliant harp playing here.

-Tom Waits

It's too bad there is no way that Start couldn't release a DVD of the complete, unedited interviews with Johnny, Michael, Arthur and even Snoopy from Love Story.

You Set The Scene
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9450 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  20:48:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by underture

quote:

Great entry John!

-Tom Waits

It's too bad there is no way that Start couldn't release a DVD of the complete, unedited interviews with Johnny, Michael, Arthur and even Snoopy from Love Story.

You Set The Scene

If it is ever re-released, a Deluxe Limited Edition two DVD set with all those kinds of extras would be awesome!

-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

479 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  13:32:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Colored Balls Falling"
-Running time: 1:50
-Recorded: January 25, 1966 Sunset Sound
-Written by: Arthur Lee
-Lead vocal: Arthur Lee
-Written as a loose jam after the band had enjoyed various sensory altering aides.
-Quotable: Everyone has embarrasing moments in life, and as a performer having it onstage is probably that much worse. Johnny offers this bit about one of his lesser moments:

"When we were at the Brave New World, the group did a bunch of "cover" songs. We played many of the songs that were popular at the time. One of the most embarrassing moments I ever had on stage, was when several members of the Byrd's came to see us, and Arthur had us play "Tambourine Man. For years afterward, David Crosby would kid me about it. I still cringe, when I remember that night."

-IMHO: Shortest song ever by the band, and it ends just as it seems to be gathering momentum after Johnny's guitar solo. I get an incomplete feeling listening to this song.
-Fun fact: I must confess I can't decipher the meaning of the song's title, if there was one intended. Best I can figure is the line "falling stars appear" is referring to the title. Perhaps this is another example of Arthur's cryptic method or tripping lyrics?

Lyrics:

As I sit here thinking
Wondering where I am
Knowing that I could be here but I just sat
That's where I'm at

People walk the shadows
Falling stars appear
Other blinding matches come with their cats
That's where I'm at

I could never go there
It's too close far behind
Hope I never see you
So I won't go run and hide

You Set The Scene
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9450 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  19:03:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The second stanza...here is a far out interpretation...

"People walk the shadows":
the night people that visit the Strip to hear the underground music (the shadows)

"Falling stars appear":
Hollywood stars came out to hear the music, Steve McQueen...
falling stars may be the stars coming down to the Strip off their lofty perches

"Other blinding matches come with their cats"
Beautiful ladies ("other blinding matches"- of various origin, not just stars, but socialites, hippie chicks, the beautiful people etc) come with their mates (cats).....(we called them "my old Man" or "my old Lady" back in the day & we're weren't talking about our parents! Remember the Joni Mitchell song?)

"That's where I'm at":
All are drawn to LoVE on the strip...that's where I'm [Arthur is] at.

Too far out?

-Tom Waits

Edited by - lemonade kid on 06/10/2011 19:05:52
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

479 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  20:58:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The second stanza...here is a far out interpretation...

"People walk the shadows":
the night people that visit the Strip to hear the underground music (the shadows)

"Falling stars appear":
Hollywood stars came out to hear the music, Steve McQueen...
falling stars may be the stars coming down to the Strip off their lofty perches

"Other blinding matches come with their cats"
Beautiful ladies ("other blinding matches"- of various origin, not just stars, but socialites, hippie chicks, the beautiful people etc) come with their mates (cats).....(we called them "my old Man" or "my old Lady" back in the day & we're weren't talking about our parents! Remember the Joni Mitchell song?)

"That's where I'm at":
All are drawn to LoVE on the strip...that's where I'm [Arthur is] at.

Too far out?

-Tom Waits

That is probably the most accurate interpretation I could have thought of, given the tangents the mind of Arthur went on. He was definitely the Prince of Sunset Strip when these words were penned.

You Set The Scene
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3400 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  02:22:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn fine song. Only trouble is that a couple of the songs on side 2 of the 1st Love album rather sound alike!

(And thats not including My Flash On You & Bryan giving Hey Joe a go (probably the worst song he sang with Love) - My Flash On You and Hey Joe are the same exact chords!!

The 1st Love record has a lot to recommend it (Emotions, Can't Explain, My Little red book) but its more interesting for the progress the band would make from it (da capo) in a relatively short while (dc saw release on January 67, only 8 months after the 1st album saw release)

Its not a great album (I'd give it 3 stars) and you can't really compare it with the best of what was coming out at the same time (Revolver, Bringing it all back home, Mellow Yellow) but theres nothing WRONG with it

I guess Mushroom Clouds is the highlight of the 2nd side of the album, where it starts to fall weak; I guess the band were trying to fill up the album by coming up with songs in the studio by that point, never a good way to work!
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

479 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  13:40:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Mushroom Clouds"
-Running time: 2:45
-Recorded: January 26, 1966 Sunset Sound
-Written by: Lee/Echols/Forssi/MacLean
-Lead vocal: Arthur Lee
-An older composition, written during the time the band was still known as the Grass Roots.
-A song about nuclear war, with Hiroshima the inspiration for it.
-One of only two songs credited to the original four band members, the other song being 'Revelation'.
-Quotable: Michael describes some of his experience in LoVE in regards to the mixed racial makeup of the band and how they were received in public:

"Never once, during my years with the group, did I ever witness or experience any vestige of racism directed against any of the members of Love. I suppose there could have been a kind of "second hand" racism... in that, there were parts of the country where no agent in his right mind would have booked us, (like maybe a small town in the deep South), but we wouldn't have been booked into a small market anyway. All our gigs were in large cities, where, for the most part, (even back in the post-JFK mid-sixties), people had sophisticated concepts of racial equality (and where Elektra had good distribution.) I never met anyone who felt our racial diversity was anything other than just another component of our uniqueness."

-IMHO: How many bands use nuclear war as a subject, and on their debut as well? Perhaps this song illustrates more than any other the band's depth and diversity as well as the inherent darkness of their vision.
-Fun fact: An original line in the song "Father help us find the way, to walk beside you everyday" was taken out at Jac Holzman's insistence, supposedly because it was too religous. Arthur's new replacement line was a jab at this intrusion: "I don't want you bothering me".

Lyrics:

Mushroom clouds are forming
And the sky is dark and grey

Little children dying
In an age of hate and war

We can love again
Only God knows when
Help us with our problems

I don't need you bothering me
Can't you tell me that I'm free

Mushroom clouds are forming
And the sky is dark and grey

You Set The Scene
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3400 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  22:06:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quite longer in mono as well!
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

479 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  13:48:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"And More"
-Running time: 2:56
-Recorded: January 24, 1966 Sunset Sound
-Written by: Lee/MacLean
-Lead vocal, drums: Arthur Lee
-This was the first song ever "officially" recorded by the group, for their Elektra output.
-This is the only actual song co-credited to just Arthur and Bryan, who were the groups main songwriters.
-The song "Andmoreagain" from Forever Changes is somehow related to this song. I'm not sure what the relation is other than a similar title as lyrically they are dissimilar.
-Quotable: Johnny gives his take on the reception the band got being on the vanguard of racial relations:

"As a racially mixed group in the sixties, we faced a double whammy. There were many places in this Country we just couldn't play, by their choice, or ours. All of the south, and most of the mid-west, was off limits. Much of the country between the east and west coasts, expressed the attitude "you folks need not apply." Our agents would secure bookings, only to have them canceled, after the venue realized the groups racial make-up. Others insisted we play to a segregated audience, (we absolutely refused to be a part of that insanity). When the group did manage to play a gig outside California, the police would often monitor our Hotel, to find out who was visiting our rooms. The whole scene seems so bizarre now! Arthur and I, were so embarrassed, and put-off, to be caught up in something so out dated, and un-cool. We began to claim that we didn't tour that often, by choice."

-IMHO: This song seems to be a bit of a filler song, one that met the need to have a certain quantity on the first album. Lyrically it is the most simple of the debut album.
-Fun fact: This is a total guess on my part and if I'm wrong then someone please advise me of this, but since this was a combination writing effort by Arthur and Bryan I would think that the lines "If you try to follow, girl/Please stay close behind" and "I don't want to waste your time/I just want to make you mine" are pure Arthur and the lines "One, two, three, four I love you/And I always will/'Til the sun falls off the sky/Gonna love you till I die/And More" are pure Bryan.

Lyrics:

Love me for a little while
Love me if you can
'Cause I want to be your man
And I want to understand
You

If you try to follow, girl
Please stay close behind
'Cause I wanna be with you
And I wanna love you too
Or three

I don't want to waste your time
I just want to make you mine

One, two, three, four, I love you
And I always will
'Til the sun falls off the sky
Gonna love you 'til I die
And more

You Set The Scene
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3400 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  19:05:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always get this confused with Colored Balls Falling

might be a mistake to have such similar sounding songs on the same side!
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  14:31:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Johnny E:
One of the most embarrassing moments I ever had on stage, was when several members of the Byrd's came to see us, and Arthur had us play "Tambourine Man. For years afterward, David Crosby would kid me about it. I still cringe, when I remember that night."

hmmm....anybody ever hear the live version? I get the feeling Johnny wished he never played it. I always check out covers of MTM and Chimes of Freedom.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page