"No Matter What You Do"
-Running time: 2:40
-Recorded: January 24, 1966 Sunset Sound
-Written by: Arthur Lee
-Lead vocal and drums: Arthur Lee
-Lead guitar: Johnny Echols
-Rhythm guitar: Bryan MacLean
-Bass: Kenny Forssi
-Another session one song from the first album where Arthur filled in for Snoopy on drums.
-Described by Johnny as a true group effort, with Arthur singing it and the group placing music around this.
-Quotable: Johnny has this to say about Don Conka, original drummer for LoVE:

-IMHO: One of the less memorable songs in the LoVE catalogue. It seems to get lost in the 14 song offering of the first album without really standing out.

KD: Less memorable ? I love this one. A true LOVE garage rock classic - all attitude !
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9450 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2011 :  00:58:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Garage rock plus some surf rock sounds! Johnny couldn't escape that in his LA youth! The Surfaris and Beach Boys were everywhere!

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2011 :  18:52:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Surfaris

hey I treasure my 45 of "Image of a Girl" by them!
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2113 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2011 :  23:09:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We all have our favourites of course. No Matter What You Do I do think of as a bit of an also ran...though of course it does have a compelling guitar solo very reminiscent of The Byrds on I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better. My Flash On You I've always liked...musically of course it owes a lot to Hey Joe. Message To Pretty and Softly To Me are two of the finest songs on the album.

Edited by - John9 on 21/09/2011 09:14:30
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

479 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2011 :  13:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"You I'll Be Following"
-Running time: 2:25
-Recorded: January 25, 1966 Sunset Sound
-Lead vocal: Arthur Lee
-Drums: Alban 'Snoopy' Pfisterer
-Quotable: Just minding your own business you never know who you might meet as Michael relates in this story:

"Kenny and I were great car enthusiasts, and we used to spend many evenings out in the garage of my pad on Kirkwood...him working on his restored black XKE Jag and me on my old '59 356 Porsche, while smoking joint after joint of the relatively low-grade weed of the times.
Which is exactly what we were doing one hot summer night when a beat yellow XKE, with a rusty and dented right front fender and the front bumper hanging catywhampus on the frame, pulled up and stopped a few feet away. "That's a nice Jag," the stranger said. "Do you fellows happen to know where Stanley Hills Drive is? I'm lost."
So Kenny told him it was off Lookout Mountain and how to get there. And as the stranger pulled away and headed back down to Laurel Canyon, Kenny says, "Poor Charlton Heston, he could lead the chosen people to the promised land, but he can't find Stanley Hills Drive."

-IMHO: This song has it all: great harmonies, driving bass that rocks, and Arthur at his cryptic best lyrically. The interpretation to the lyrics on this song are wide open on any of the stanzas. What were Johnny and Conka holding? What was in the shoebox behind the icebox? It has an endless supply of possible meanings which aids it rather than hinders. Seemingly simple yet brilliant.

-Fun Fact: This is a song where Arthur may have taken many "trips" to the areas listed (Florida, Georgia, Baghdad) but he did not physically travel to any of the areas at the time he wrote this song. The same can be said for "She Comes In Colors" in which Arthur claims to have been in "England Town" when in fact at the time of it's creation he had never left the USA.

Lyrics:

I went to Georgia
I went to Florida
I went to Missi
Tripped in Missippi, but now
You I'll be following

I went to Baghdad
I went to Laurel
Tripped in the canyon
My head is still bent, but now
You I'll be following

I went to Johnny
I went to Conka
One of them told me
That he was holding, but now
You I'll be following

I went to Frisco
Bumped into Cisco
He had a shoebox
Behind his icebox, but now
You I'll be following

You Set The Scene
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3400 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2011 :  21:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
um, the song is about scoring DRUGS!!

the mention of Conka (Mr Signed DC boy)
is a bit of a giveaway!!
Go to Top of Page

Signed RW
Fifth Love

USA
276 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2011 :  02:45:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was actually discussed here some time ago, but the fact is, whether he was mistaken or not, Don Conka insisted adamantly, that the line was actually "Owe it to Johnny, owe it to Conka," as a result of Arthur's very frequent "borrowing" of herb from his friends. At least, that was Don's understanding of it in 1972, and he seemed pretty certain about it....
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3400 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2011 :  15:46:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
probably in jail at the time
Go to Top of Page

Signed RW
Fifth Love

USA
276 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2011 :  18:01:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don's place of residence at the time was the euphemistically named "California Men's Colony," at the time a minimum security facility in San Luis Obispo. The same place that Timothy Leary so famously walked away from, back when Dr. Tim decided to take it on the lam and become an actual, for real fugitive.

Edited by - Signed RW on 23/09/2011 18:02:50
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3400 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2011 :  22:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
read of that "incarcaration" in an old Castle, when he was writing to fans, even enlightening the odd one about "Bummer Bob" (who was in the Manson group, apparently)
who had originally been in Love (or a group before - the Grass Roots? the American Four, the LAGs?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9450 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2011 :  23:31:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
or tried out...auditioned...sat in. Never REALLY a part of any Love/Grass Roots configuration.

Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3400 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2011 :  21:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess they went with Bryan instead
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

479 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2011 :  13:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Gazing"
-Running time: 2:40
-Recorded: January 24, 1966 Sunset Sound
-Lead vocal and drums: Arthur Lee
-Quotable: How did the band make the transition from a cover band to LoVE? Johnny gives some insight into the genesis of how the band's unique sound was born:

"Arthur and I, went to Ciro's together and thought the Byrds were so cool, especially Gene Clark, and Jim McGuinn. The group gave an absolutely stellar performance, their harmonies were spot on. After seeing them, and noting all those chicks in the audience, we decided then and there, that's the direction we wanted go musically. It would be hard to overstate the effect they had on us that night, just mind blowing!"

-IMHO: The much quoted lyric "a mulatto soul so rare" is perhaps Arthur's most personal lyric and a real example of the lyric similarity shared between Arthur and Jim Morrison. Both exhibited the anguish and aloneness of their human existance most poignantly; Arthur in 'Gazing' and Morrison in the Dawn's Highway section of Peace Frog. Also interesting is the fact that the lyrics for these two songs were written independently of the music, which was created solely by the groups without help from the lead singer.
-Fun Fact: The Whisky A Go Go was the bands favorite place to play and was made famous by their gigs there. Johnny gives some reasons why this came about:

"The Whisky had been experiencing a decline in revenue, since the days when Johnny Rivers was king. It was the beginning of a changing of the guard in Hollywood. And because there were so few patrons, the Whisky had a reputation for not paying their acts. This caused many groups to be leery of playing there, making the situation even worse. So when we were booked, we came with our own audience who filled the place beyond capacity, they made money and paid us well. Soon other successful groups began to accept bookings. It was a win-win for every body."

Lyrics:

In a gazing dazzling glare
As an image stood before me
But he knew not where

And ... souls so rare
Intercepted by graviation
Through the mist like air

From the pits of Eden
This image he came from there

One time now
Johnny's turn now

Driven out by Eden's flash
And the pop art politician
But he knew not where
This image he came from there

You Set The Scene
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2113 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2011 :  17:32:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This song perhaps more than any other, the influence of The Byrds on Love's early style. It very closely resembles both musically and lyrically, Chimes of Freedom. Moreover, Arthur's vocal style on the track closely resembles Jim McGuinn's.
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

479 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2011 :  13:46:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Hey Joe"
-Running time: 2:38
-Recorded: January 26, 1966 Sunset Sound
-Written by: Billy Roberts 1962
-Lead vocal and rhythm guitar: Bryan MacLean
-Drums: Alban 'Snoopy' Pfisterer
-The second of two cover songs ever done by the group, both of them on the debut album.
-Bryan's other vocal from the debut. He had heard the Byrds use it in their shows and brought it over when he became a member of LoVE. It became a concert highlight for him.
-Was reportedly the song that ultimately convinced Jac Holzman to sign the band to Elektra.
-Quotable: Michael on his philosophy on drumming:

"I never taped my hands. I just had calluses, and playing drums is so physical, it's the best workout, but that being said, every drummer would be better if he or she maintained a healthy lifestyle, including eating the right food, avoiding tobacco, alcohol and drugs, getting plenty of rest and a short daily workout, especially if you are not playing drums every day."

-IMHO: Classic LoVE phrasing done by Bryan in his vocal interpretation of the song. Note the uneven, almost staccato delivery by Bryan that would surface in a more pervasive way in Forever Changes.
-Fun fact: Exactly what are the lyrics of Hey Joe? Johnny explains that the most famous version as sung by the Leaves and Hendrix are actually a modification in the song done by him. He purposely changed some of the lyrics to perhaps discourage the Leaves from using Hey Joe, in that is was intended to be LoVE's first single. It didn't work out as the Leaves put their version out first and had a hit with it:

"I was surprised anyone used my lyrics, they were purposely written to make no sense. When Herb Cohen, (from Third Story Music) asked me to write them down. I thought he he was messing with my head, and he did in fact mess with my money. This is another one of those weird things that happened, in the life and times of a group, of misfits, who had the audacity to call themselves Love."

See The Leaves version here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWv03Wgz0PQ

Lyrics:

Hey Joe where you goin with all that money in your hand now
Well I said hey Joe where you goin with all that money in your hand
Well I'm goin after my woman she's been runnin around with some other man now
Well I said I'm goin after my woman she's been runnin around with some other man
Well I'm gonna go downtown gonna buy me some blue steel 44's
And when I catch up to that woman she ain't gonna be runnin no more
All right
All right

Well I said hey Joe I heard you shot your woman dead
Well I said hey Joe I heard that you shot your woman dead
Well yes I did I shot them just like I said now
Well you see I shot them just like I said
Well hey Joe tell me where are you gonna go
Well I said hey Joe now tell me where are you goin to go
Well I guess I'll go back to my favorite Mexico
Well I guess I'll go back to where I know a man can be free
Well there ain't goin to be no hangman putting no noose around my neck honey child
Well I said there ain't goin be no hangman putting no noose around me
Well hey Joe where you goin with all that money in your hand
Well I said hey

You Set The Scene
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page