Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

underture
Fifth Love

479 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  14:52:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that it would be nice to have a reference point for each LoVE song in the original catalogue. Thus I would like to embark on this in order, starting with the first album, first song on side one and procede through to Laughing Stock. There won't be anything new here, just a reference point. If anyone sees an error or omission or would like to offer an opinion please do so. Here goes...

"My Little Red Book" from LoVE, side one song one.
-Running time: 2:30
-Recorded at Sunset Sound January 25, 1966. Last song recorded that day.
-Written by Hal David and Burt Bacharach, one of two non orginals from first album.
-Lead vocal: Arthur Lee
-Lead guitar: Johnny Echols
-Rhythm guitar: Bryan MacLean
-Bass: Kenny Forssi
-Drums: Alban 'Snoopy' Pfisterer
-From the motion picture "What's New, *****cat?" that Arthur and Johnny saw. They liked the song but when they set about organizing it they had to play from memory and ultimately sped up the song and into a major key.
-Original version done by Manfred Mann.
-Released in March 1966, it was the most radio friendly, pop song of the band's career; it was also their first national hit, peaking at # 52.
-Band appeared on "American Band Stand" on June 18,1966 to promote the song. Reportedly Arthur and Bryan's horseplay during the Bobby Fuller Four
performance earned them a permanent non-invite back from Dick Clark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftO9ClIhFAo

-First Elektra song ever to play on top 40 radio. Jac Holzman said when he first heard the song on his car radio he pulled over to cry in joy.
-Fun Fact: Purportedly Bacharach did not like the bands version of his song, but Snoopy had this to say: "They wrote it and we took it".

-Lyrics:

I just got out my little red book
The minute that you said goodbye I thumbed right through my little red book
I wasn't gonna sit and cry And I went from A to Z I took out every pretty girl in town
They danced with me and as I held them

Chorus:
All I did was talk about you
Hear your name and I start to cry
There's just no getting over you... oh, no...

There ain't no girl in my little red book
Who could ever replace your charms
And each girl in my little red book
Knows you're the one I'm thinkin' of
Oh won't you please come back
Without your precious love I can't go on
Where can love be I need you so much
[repeat chorus]

Oh won't you please come back
Without your precious love I can't go on
It's haunting me I need you so much

All I did was talk and talk about you
There's just no getting over you
All I did was talk and talk about you
There's just no getting over you... oh no

Edited by - underture on 01/09/2011 20:08:38

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9450 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  15:53:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers John....this is going to be very nice!

I always have loved this version. It was actually the only Love 45 that was played in our neck of the woods. In my little Iowa college town, even getting WLS out of Chicago, we never heard "7 & 7 Is" on hit radio, let alone underground radio out of Arkansas.

So this was an avid radio listener's only hint of LoVE.

Damn this is good! Nice to see this clip back on youtube! We love those glasses Arthur!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSUoYHEJCGI

Edited by - lemonade kid on 25/08/2011 15:54:07
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

479 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  20:11:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Can't Explain"
-Running time: 2:35
-Recorded: January 24, 1966 at Sunset Sound
-Written by: Echols/Fleckenstein/Lee
-Lead vocal, drums: Arthur Lee
-Recorded during first official recording session for Elektra; reportedly Snoopy was not present this day so Arthur was drummer during this session.
-Second song recorded that day.
-Original title 'What A Shame'. The Rolling Stones, Now! album (issued in Feb 1965) had a song with this name which prompted then bassist John Fleckenstein to point this out. Even though he had left the band at the time the song was recorded they gave Fleck songwriting co-credit, his only one for LoVE.
-New lyrics were written in the studio at the time it was recorded.
-IMHO: The guitar break, though brief and not flashy, really drives this song.
-Fun fact: This is the LoVE song that can't escape ties with Britain. Even after changing the title from 'What A Shame', the new name bears almost the same title (though they are completely different sounding) as the Who's first hit in 1964, "I Can't Explain".

-Lyrics:

Can't explain
Nothin' seems to go right
Can't explain
Nothin' seems to go right

Well now you wake up in the mornin'
Find your poor self dead
Well now you wake up in the mornin'
Find your poor self dead

What a shame
You always wanna start a fight
Can't explain

Let it go, what I say, yeah
Can't explain
Can't explain

Let it go, one more time, yeah

You Set The Scene
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9450 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  01:44:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A fine first album from LoVE that in many ways echoes an LA punk sensibility for the British Invasion and in turn, the American new wave...The Byrds.

I love this for all its early LoVE hippie innocence and at the same time, its grit. Keep those cool glasses on, Arthur....forever.

I like to think that if there is a Heaven, Arthur has been passing out those funky glasses, and even the head Man has a pair...& is wearing a pair of army boots..one unlaced. Arthur was, if nothing else...always the King of COOL!

Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

479 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  02:22:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"A Message To Pretty"
-Running Time: 3:10
-Recorded: January 27, 1966 Sunset Sound. Last session for first album.
-Written by: Arthur Lee
-Lead vocal, harmonica: Arthur Lee
-B side to "My Litte Red Book".
-One of only three recorded songs to feature Arthur's harmonica playing.
-Written by Arthur about a girlfriend he had named Anita Billings, who he nicknamed "Pretty".
-One of two songs from debut album over three minutes in length.
-Arthur wrote the song on the organ, which was then translated to guitar by Johnny and Bryan.
-Cover of this song recorded by at least 12 different groups.
-Quotable: The first album was the most guitar laden of the group's three. Johnny has this to say about how they created this sound:
"I played all of the lead guitar parts, and flourishes, and Bryan did the finger picking. We would begin with us both playing acoustic guitar on the basic tracks. Afterwards, the two of us would work out a natural rhythmic counterpoint. We would play off each other, in effect, orchestrating cello, and viola parts on the guitars. He had a way of weaving in and around the song, giving it a more intricate feel. Bryan had an innate ability to hear harmonic balance, and was a supremely gifted musician, who was integral to the sound of the group."
-IMHO: First recorded instance of Arthur's "vindictive" lyrical musings as he wistfully expresses his regrets at ever seeing his tormentor's face. This theme would surface again in "Your Friend And Mine" and "Doggone". Maybe not a pleasant aspect of Arthur's personality but undeniably part of the edginess that made him a genius.
-Fun Fact: Group appeared on "Where The Action Is" to promote the song, their second and last mainstream media appearance. Apparently there was a small controvery regarding Bryan's trousers as they would only shoot him from the waist up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYNPWMku5KU&feature=related

Lyrics:

People try to tell me
What they think is right
I don't listen to them
Don't know day from night
I go through life searchin'
Tryin' to find the one
I go slip, slip, you go slip, slip
Away

And I don't need you to help me find my way
I can make it if I just don't see your face

Once I had a problem
Didn't know what to do
Now I've got no problems
All I had was you
Guess I'll keep on searchin'
And try to find the one
'Cause I go slip, slip, you go slip, slip
Away

You Set The Scene
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9450 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  16:16:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love this song...Arthur is the King of COOL on this TV appearance...even if lip synced.

Exactly what we all pine for....a LIVE LoVE 60's concert in full. Of course a video is too much to hope for but an audience tape at least, please!

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9450 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  16:25:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the end of this-- Where The Action Is.....Dick Clark is asking Love, can Action come and film them at The Castle!!! "Do you guys really live in a castle", he says? Arthur won't talk. I bet he is terrified on TV; after all, he's still just a kid, living a dream!...but he keeps his cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftO9ClIhFAo&NR=1

Wouldn't that have been something!! Action filmed at the Castle!! That was the stuff of legends back then even, all over LA...LoVE lived in a castle!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 06/09/2011 16:27:16
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

479 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  19:42:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snoopy really seemed to be enjoying himself during these filmed appearances; funny when he corrected Dick Clark. Maybe he knew his days were numbered and wanted to enjoy it while it lasted?

If there was footage of them filmed at the Castle how cool would it be if it was of Arthur rollerskating?

You Set The Scene
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

479 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2011 :  13:35:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"My Flash On You"
-Running time: 2:05
-Recorded: January 27, 1966 Sunset Sound
-Lead vocal: Arthur Lee
-Ostensibly an anti-drug song despite it's title, the lyrics would seem almost prophetic in lieu of future difficulties experienced by the band.
-Andrew Sandoval points out similarities between this song and "Hey Joe". Both musically and lyrically he is on the mark.
-Quotable: Although he didn't play on the debut album, Michael enthuses about these songs and how easily they transferred to the concert stage:

".... I always enjoyed playing the tunes from the first album, maybe because those are the songs I used to enjoy listening to when I was drumming with The Sons of Adam. Also, the driving rhythms of songs like "My Flash On You", "Can't Explain", "You, I'll Be Following", (and really most of the material from the first album), lend themselves so well to drums."

-IMHO: This is a Kenny Forssi standout tune all the way, as his fuzz bass dominates the song overall and the solo sections specifically. Michael offers this about Kenny's playing:

"Kenny Forssi has never gotten anywhere near the credit he deserves for being one of the all-time great bassists for any era, jazz or rock, and the impact he had on the unique sound of the group was irrefutably profound."

Fun Fact: How times have changed. As opposed to the marathon recording of today to produce an album, for the debut LoVE needed just 21 hours spaced over four days to produce 15 usuable tracks.

Lyrics:

I don't want to be in your company
I don't need you to take care of me
Let me alone, let me alone, let me alone, can't you let me be
All I want in this world is to say I'm a man that's free

People talk about the way I look
I say come on and say it, I got enough to write a book
But don't they know, don't they know, don't they know it's a waste
of breath
'Cause I don't wanna be like them, all I want is to be myself
(Lemme hear you play it one time now)

Don't try to force your smuggled drugs my way
'Cause baby, I cleansed my soul and I say that's the way it's gonna stay
But you can put me down, all around, on the ground, anyway you choose
Get your kicks with your fix, but this time I know it's you who lose
(Lemme hear you play it one more time)

You Set The Scene
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

479 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  13:46:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Softly To Me"
-Running time: 3:10
-Recorded: January 26, 1966 Sunset Sound
-Written by: Bryan MacLean
-Lead vocal and rhythm guitar: Bryan MacLean
-One of four songs written solely by Bryan, which combined with the two more in which he was listed as co-writer on gives him a total of 6 songs in the LoVe catalogue.
-One of three songs where Bryan was the lead vocalist.
-Quotable: Michael has this to say about this song:

"...the phrasing and the sophistication...that's a great song, born (shall I dare say it?) of genius."

-IMHO: A prime example of Bryan's writing style. The lyrics (Orange, Sugar, Chocolate, Hot Cinnamon and lovely things and you) support the widely stated view that Bryan's "hopeless romantic" style of writing provided a softer counterpoint to the band's darker, aggresive lyrical tendencies. The blend of these two opposing styles was a huge part of what gave the band its unique sound.
-Fun fact: The band went to Dallas in June of '66 to promote the first album in a rare promotional jaunt. While there one of the activities was an album signing session, which according to Johnny the band provided their own unique slant on:

"These were usually promotional events, like the Dallas, Love field tie-in. They gave us the key to the city, and had us signing albums, hour after hour at Neiman Marcus department store. Elektra along with our management, had us doing this kind of thing to generate sales. After a while, I would be so tired of writing my own name, I'd sign Lee Harvey Oswald, or Jack Ruby. Anything to overcome the mind numbing (and finger numbing) boredom.

PS: If you happen across a Love Album signed by John F Kennedy, Lee Harvey Oswald, or Jack Ruby.... It's authentic, one of us signed it. By the way after enduring this assault on our digits, we were required to go on stage, and try to play music. Not one of our best shows."

Lyrics:

I could love you more and more each day for a million years
And I'd sit around all day just crying happy tears
To dance and sing my life away (life away)
And laughing with you, my darling, softly to me

Orange, sugar, chocolate, hot cinnamon and lovely things and you
And darling, you know there was really nothing else that I could do

And my darling you will never know how elegant
you'll always be to me
And my darling I was so in love it was evident for anyone
To see, and I suppose they already do
And how come so suddenly everything depends on you

And if I kissed you once I'd probably do it again
But then that's not so inconceivable, my friend

You Set The Scene
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9450 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  19:40:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice stuff,John.

Those were the days when bands had it down. The Beatles recorded their first album masterpiece, 14 songs, in 12 hours!

Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  00:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by underture

"Softly To Me"
-Running time: 3:10
-Recorded: January 26, 1966 Sunset Sound
-Written by: Bryan MacLean
-Lead vocal and rhythm guitar: Bryan MacLean
-One of four songs written solely by Bryan, which combined with the two more in which he was listed as co-writer on gives him a total of 6 songs in the LoVe catalogue.
-One of three songs where Bryan was the lead vocalist.

KD: No Arthur on this one at all ? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

479 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  13:29:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"No Matter What You Do"
-Running time: 2:40
-Recorded: January 24, 1966 Sunset Sound
-Lead vocal and drums: Arthur Lee
-Another session one song from the first album where Arthur filled in for Snoopy on drums.
-Described by Johnny as a true group effort, with Arthur singing it and the group placing music around this.
-Quotable: Johnny has this to say about Don Conka, original drummer for LoVE:

"Donald Conka, he was not a finesse drummer, or someone who would sit back, and establish a groove. He was from the Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich school of drumming. The type of drummer, who would have his kit in front of the bandstand, not in the back. Conka enthralled the crowd for at least an hour, non-stop. "

-IMHO: One of the less memorable songs in the LoVE catalogue. It seems to get lost in the 14 song offering of the first album without really standing out.
-Fun Fact: What would you rather do: win the lottery or discover the pre-Elektra LoVe album? Johnny gives a bit of info on it:

"Jerry Hopkins had the tapes in early 1965. He took them somewhere to have copies made, and somehow they were misplaced. It really is too bad, those sessions were way better than the ones done at Sunset Sound. They're probably sitting in an old dusty box in a garage somewhere in the valley, waiting to be discovered. One never knows!"

Lyrics:

Do you remember me
I'm the one you talk about
Do you remember me
I'm the one you booted out

No matter what in the world you do
Yeah, I'll always be in love with you
No matter what in the world you say
Girl, I'm gonna love you anyway

Do you remember when
You said that I was your true love
And you'd take care of me
And watch me like the stars above

I just gotta hear you play it one time for everybody now

I just gotta hear you play it one time for the world now.

I said I'm gonna love you anyway
You know I'm gonna love you anyway.

You Set The Scene
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  14:21:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMHO: A prime example of Bryan's writing style. The lyrics (Orange, Sugar, Chocolate, Hot Cinnamon and lovely things and you) support the widely stated view that Bryan's "hopeless romantic" style of writing provided a softer counterpoint to the band's darker, aggresive lyrical tendencies. The blend of these two opposing styles was a huge part of what gave the band its unique sound.

Agree and that kind of ended with FC. I tend to believe that if Bryan and Arthur continued their partnership they arguably could have gone on to trump their achievement with FC. But at bottom some good things can only be made at a certain time.
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

479 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2011 :  13:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Emotions"
-Running time: 1:55
-Recorded: January 27, 1966 Sunset Sound
-Written by: Johnny Echols/Arthur Lee
-Lead/Rhythm guitar: Johnny Echols
-Only instrumental recorded by LoVE
-Both guitar parts are played by Johnny
-Written by Johnny in the early 60's while still in high school at Dorsey High in Los Angeles. Besides playing with Arthur, Johnny had another group that played surf type music. He carried this over to LoVE.
-Quotable: While this song was credited to both Johnny and Arthur, in fact it was completely written by Johnny. Additionally, it began life under a different title. The orginal name was "Lonely Guitar"; however, at the time that the debut album came out Elektra head Jac Holzman changed the title to "Emotions" and also gave Arthur co-credit for writing the song. He promised to fix this oversight but never did. Johnny explains the reasons for the discrepancies:

"It was either Herb Cohen at Third Story Music, (who was acting as administrator for our publishing) or Jac who came up with that name. I can't recall if I ever knew who actually made the decision, though I blamed Jac. Since he was the only one of the two, who was arrogant enough to make such a move entirely on his own. I always felt Emotions, was such a lame name. I would have been happier, if they had called it "Theme from Elektra Knows Best."

"He changed the title of the song "Lonely Guitar" which I wrote when I was twelve, to "Emotions" and listed Arthur as co-writer, even though he was well aware that Arthur wasn't involved in any way. Jac Claimed, the title Lonely Guitar sounded too much like Herb Alperts' Lonely Bull. He maintained the mis-credit was just a mistake. The two of us never saw eye to eye."

-IMHO: Johnny considered this a filler song for the first album, but I love this song almost as much as any on the debut. Also deserving of credit is Snoopy; his drumming on this cut is subtle yet really provides a nice accompaniment to the haunting guitars.
-Fun fact: This song was the unofficial theme to the movie "Medium Cool" as it surfaces repeatedly throughout the film, which depicts events during the 1968 Chicago Democratic convention. It is particularly effective right at the end; you can see it here:

http://veehd.com/video/4516075_Medium-Cool-1969

BTW-He played a camera man in the movie, but Peter Bonerz would later surface again in Chicago, playing Bob Newhart's office mate dentist Jerry Robinson in the 70's sitcom The Bob Newhart Show.

You Set The Scene
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3400 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2011 :  15:44:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Emotions cover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqbnQUBw50I
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic